Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birth to Baptism
Birth to Baptism
I was watching a recent video by Robin Dupre Reed, where someone said doctors should talk to mothers about making sure their children are saved.

While this is pretty insulting, and not at all practical right after the mother has given birth, it got me thinking. Usually the doctor puts the baby in water to clean him or her up before wrapping up and handing to the mother. I wonder if there are any groups where a preacher blesses the water before the baby is put in, so it's baptized immediately. I guess you need to fully submerge the person in water, though, and they probably don't do that.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: Birth to Baptism
Baptism doesn't require full immersion, you sprinkle the water on the forehead and the priest forms the sign of the cross with the water on the child's forehead.

But yeah, this seems incredibly irritating. What if the mother is Jewish? Muslim? Most of the hospitals I've seen are associated with one church or another, although I don't get why. Are people consenting to that BS when they choose a hospital?
Oh noes, double secret Ninja baptism!!! Someone has to stop this madness!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 21, 2014 at 9:13 am)Chad32 Wrote: I was watching a recent video by Robin Dupre Reed, where someone said doctors should talk to mothers about making sure their children are saved.

While this is pretty insulting, and not at all practical right after the mother has given birth, it got me thinking. Usually the doctor puts the baby in water to clean him or her up before wrapping up and handing to the mother. I wonder if there are any groups where a preacher blesses the water before the baby is put in, so it's baptized immediately. I guess you need to fully submerge the person in water, though, and they probably don't do that.

Is Robin Dupre Reed, Catholic? Not all churches practice infant baptism and many frown on it. Among Baptist if someone said that mothers should make certain that their children are saved, it would mean that the moms are mainly responsible for making certain to indoctrinate the child well so that the child will have less chance of bolting when it is older
(December 21, 2014 at 9:20 am)Natachan Wrote: Baptism doesn't require full immersion, you sprinkle the water on the forehead and the priest forms the sign of the cross with the water on the child's forehead.

But yeah, this seems incredibly irritating. What if the mother is Jewish? Muslim? Most of the hospitals I've seen are associated with one church or another, although I don't get why. Are people consenting to that BS when they choose a hospital?

It surprises me that an even semi intelligent catholic person thinks infant baptism makes even the slightest bit of difference. Even people I know who are for baptism think it's stupid. And stealth baptism? Wouldn't the sneakiness negate the whole thing?
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
(December 21, 2014 at 9:50 am)Nope Wrote:
(December 21, 2014 at 9:13 am)Chad32 Wrote: I was watching a recent video by Robin Dupre Reed, where someone said doctors should talk to mothers about making sure their children are saved.

Is Robin Dupre Reed, Catholic? Not all churches practice infant baptism and many frown on it. Among Baptist if someone said that mothers should make certain that their children are saved, it would mean that the moms are mainly responsible for making certain to indoctrinate the child well so that the child will have less chance of bolting when it is older

She's an atheist that makes fun of the kind of people who say stuff like this.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Newborn babies don't towards censuses, says so in the bible. So immediate baptism is no big deal.

Heck, mom is lucky if an Amalekite soldier doesn't delight in smashing her little ones skull against the stones before she gets it home.
(December 21, 2014 at 10:10 am)Spooky Wrote: It surprises me that an even semi intelligent catholic person thinks infant baptism makes even the slightest bit of difference. Even people I know who are for baptism think it's stupid. And stealth baptism? Wouldn't the sneakiness negate the whole thing?

It's common for catholics to be baptised a few weeks after birth if being born into a catholic family. I was and so was my brother. I guess it was the traditional thing to do, since both of my parents certainly didn't force religion on me.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 21, 2014 at 10:29 am)abaris Wrote:
(December 21, 2014 at 10:10 am)Spooky Wrote: It surprises me that an even semi intelligent catholic person thinks infant baptism makes even the slightest bit of difference. Even people I know who are for baptism think it's stupid. And stealth baptism? Wouldn't the sneakiness negate the whole thing?

It's common for catholics to be baptised a few weeks after birth if being born into a catholic family. I was and so was my brother. I guess it was the traditional thing to do, since both of my parents certainly didn't force religion on me.

The same for mainstream protestantism here...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 21, 2014 at 9:13 am)Chad32 Wrote: Usually the doctor puts the baby in water to clean him or her up before wrapping up and handing to the mother. I wonder if there are any groups where a preacher blesses the water before the baby is put in, so it's baptized immediately. I guess you need to fully submerge the person in water, though, and they probably don't do that.

Wouldn't count. Part of baptism involves the person performing it to say some magical words, as well. If you don't, then the ritual isn't complete, the the soul cannot get into heaven. Or something.

This is similar to Mormons and their magical underwear, and how merely eating bread and drinking wine doesn't bring one closer to Jesus unless they also partially reenact the last supper. This is why it cracks me up when Christians get offended when you portray their god as a wizard, yet they totally believe in very real effects of magical spells and rituals.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little children who died without Baptism go to eternal Hell?! Jehanne 34 6043 February 29, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Soldier's Baptism in Iraq Nope 24 5708 March 27, 2015 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: Desert Diva
  Evangelicals are now questioning the morality of Birth Control Justtristo 9 4993 July 5, 2012 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Jesus birth date and death tuxcomputers 35 7038 November 16, 2011 at 5:36 am
Last Post: Erinome