Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus birth date and death
Jesus birth date and death
How do Christian's reconcile the dates they celebrate for the birth of Jesus and his death?

25th December year in and year out we celebrate the birth of Jesus. So they were able to figure out his birthday. I have no problem with that... well apart from the story of shepherds being out and about at night in the middle of winter.

Now when it comes to his death it moves about years to year depending on the phase of the moon and what time the pope had a dump?

WTF? They had accurate timing for his birth but not his death?

There is ample evidence that they were co-opted from pagans rituals but what does the clergy have to say about the moon phase thing?
RE: Jesus birth date and death
They will never be able to get a date for any of it. So, they have to agree that there will be one day that they all celebrate such days.

Pinpointing the actual days would be ridiculous... It couldn't be done (maybe because he didn't exist in the first place Wink)

Although, I don't know the reason for moving around Good Friday and Easter... I'm sure there is some silly excuse. Perhaps convenience of some kind.
Cunt
See this:
Jesus was born, um, somewhere around this time
Lunar and Solar calendars I am thinking frankiej same with the muslim holidays and the jewish ones as well.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Ah ok, yes, that seems about right.
Cunt
meh... Give me the Celtic 8 fold year any day ...(a holiday every 6 weeks! Big Grin)
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Quote:25th December year in and year out we celebrate the birth of Jesus. So they were able to figure out his birthday. I have no problem with that... well apart from the story of shepherds being out and about at night in the middle of winter

Umm, actually December 25th is the winter solstice. The Christians stole it from the Roman god Deus Sol Invictus.(the invincible sun god) Jesus is thought to have been born in spring. Nobody knows in what year. I have no idea why it never occurred to anyone to just ask his mum.The year is estimated at between 7 and 4 bce. Similarly, Jesus' date of death is not recorded,which has always puzzled me.Saul and the Gospel authors had two calendars to use,the Jewish and the Roman,either would have been perfectly clear.
Easter has to happen some time around Passover since that was supposedly the setting of the last supper. Jewish calendars follow the lunar clock, not the solar one, as each day starts at sundown...much like the celts.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(November 14, 2011 at 2:49 am)tuxcomputers Wrote: 25th December year in and year out we celebrate the birth of Jesus. So they were able to figure out his birthday. I have no problem with that... well apart from the story of shepherds being out and about at night in the middle of winter.
Ignoring the already mentioned fact that Jesus was probably not born on December 25th, even if he were, it all went down in the Middle East, a place not really known for it's harsh winter nights...

In other words, the fact that shepherds were out at night in winter isn't really a problem with the story that you should be focusing on...
(November 14, 2011 at 4:20 am)padraic Wrote:
Quote:25th December year in and year out we celebrate the birth of Jesus. So they were able to figure out his birthday. I have no problem with that... well apart from the story of shepherds being out and about at night in the middle of winter

Umm, actually December 25th is the winter solstice. The Christians stole it from the Roman god Deus Sol Invictus.(the invincible sun god) Jesus is thought to have been born in spring. Nobody knows in what year. I have no idea why it never occurred to anyone to just ask his mum.The year is estimated at between 7 and 4 bce. Similarly, Jesus' date of death is not recorded,which has always puzzled me.Saul and the Gospel authors had two calendars to use,the Jewish and the Roman,either would have been perfectly clear.

December 21st is the winter solstice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sin and death LinuxGal 35 2265 December 11, 2023 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The death of the Sun and Jesus' Second Coming. Jehanne 13 1764 October 30, 2018 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3077 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Biblical Date Rape chimp3 38 6775 July 29, 2016 at 10:35 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Rewrite the Bible: Genesis 3:14-24 (with most up-to-date texts in bold) Mudhammam 0 1149 March 19, 2015 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Death row inmate "finds Christ" and might be released Foxaèr 49 12865 March 17, 2015 at 4:11 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Birth to Baptism Chad32 10 2228 December 22, 2014 at 10:39 am
Last Post: JuliaL
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7246 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Bible Lesson: The Death of Jesus an Evolving Myth Jenny A 31 6963 July 27, 2014 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Evangelicals are now questioning the morality of Birth Control Justtristo 9 4994 July 5, 2012 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More