Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How powerful is god?
How powerful is god?
by that I mean, I have no belief in any god, but so many people do believe.... so why does god, all powerful, let me not believe?
PS if you're about to post a reply and your response is going to be negative, improper, average, odd, obtuse, irrational, an argument, might change the focus, going off at a tangent or just mean ... go and find a maths forum to post on instead, they'll love you !!
RE: How powerful is god?
(January 1, 2015 at 7:49 pm)lifesagift Wrote: by that I mean, I have no belief in any god, but so many people do believe.... so why does god, all powerful, let me not believe?

Some one is going to say free will.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(January 1, 2015 at 7:53 pm)dyresand Wrote:
(January 1, 2015 at 7:49 pm)lifesagift Wrote: by that I mean, I have no belief in any god, but so many people do believe.... so why does god, all powerful, let me not believe?

Some one is going to say free will.

Read Romans 8 - 11. All is predestined, planned. God's providence. Free will is impossible if one takes the NT seriously at all.
Cheerful Charlie

If I saw a man beating a tied up dog, I couldn't prove it was wrong, but I'd know it was wrong.
- Attributed to Mark Twain
God is unable to create a rock so big god can't move it.
1. Unable to compete with middle school logic.
2. Practically unable to do "anything".

And yeah dyresand, you beat me to it. The ever present free will argument.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Life, He is letting you not believe because He is letting you think.
As long as you have that capability functioning you are free to investigate any path you see.
I guess I needn't say anything about free will since it is covered ground.
God's power is so dissipated of late that just being able to burn His countenance onto a cracker is quite an accomplishment.
(January 1, 2015 at 8:37 pm)professor Wrote: Life, He is letting you not believe because He is letting you think.
As long as you have that capability functioning you are free to investigate any path you see.
I guess I needn't say anything about free will since it is covered ground.

Shouldn't he let his followers think? I mean come on really so he lets us atheists be the smart ones and then send us to hell because we can think.. why doesn't he let the hardcore followers actually think about what they are saying and doing...
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Do you desire to be a puppet, do you desire to make your own choices, do you want to be forced to live a life you don't want? These things are why God has given you the freedom of choice, but just like with the world there are consequences to your choices.
Have you actually with seriousness looked for God, if you really want to know if He's real it's what you'll have to do, you get serious and God will open your eyes and mind, it will be up to you to open your heart.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
That's a completely different question than the thread title led me to expect. "How powerful is god" could be a fun exercise in the way kids like to try and figure out if the Hulk is stronger than Superman. On the other hand, "why won't god let me believe" has entertainment value if theists take the question seriously and try to give an honest answer, because you can be sure that the answers will be all over the map and in some cases just downright hysterical.

So, uh... carry on.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(January 1, 2015 at 9:48 pm)Godschild Wrote:

Do you desire to be a puppet, do you desire to make your own choices, do you want to be forced to live a life you don't want? These things are why God has given you the freedom of choice, but just like with the world there are consequences to your choices.
Have you actually with seriousness looked for God, if you really want to know if He's real it's what you'll have to do, you get serious and God will open your eyes and mind, it will be up to you to open your heart.

GC

GC, that first line there just described Christianity. ..
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The reason religion is so powerful Macoleco 344 20877 June 30, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Ways in which I'm more powerful than God robvalue 63 9638 November 20, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The only important reason I'm more powerful than god. Foxaèr 5 1945 November 13, 2015 at 4:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Wishful Thinking a powerful (but negative) force? Edwardo Piet 12 3904 October 30, 2015 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19326 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie