Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:04 pm

Poll: Is wishful thinking a powerful force that affects belief strongly? Is it powerful but doesn't affect actual real belief and is actually a form of self-delusion?
This poll is closed.
Wishful thinking powerfully affects actual beliefs.
22.22%
2 22.22%
Wishful thinking is a myth and doesn't affect beliefs at all, it isn't even a form of self-delusion or self-deception.
0%
0 0%
Wishful thinking doesn't effect actual belief but makes you think it does, you go into self-denial when you succumb to it and it's a form of self-delusion and deceiving yourself.
11.11%
1 11.11%
Turtle thinks too much xD But I like these threads ^__^
44.44%
4 44.44%
You're posting too many polls and threads today! Stop it now you uninteresting annoying person!
22.22%
2 22.22%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wishful Thinking a powerful (but negative) force?
Wishful Thinking a powerful (but negative) force?
How powerful is wishful thinking and merely wanting and hoping something to be true, when it comes to affecting ones beliefs?

And does it really have an affect on beliefs at all?

I personally think wanting something to be true has no effect on beliefs at all, you're either convinced or you're not....

...But I do think wishful thinking is a very powerful (and bad) force, because it actually makes us in denial and self-deluded into thinking we believe something when we actually don't.... we just want to believe it so much and can't face the fact that we don't really believe it.

I think a lot of psychosis is like this too. I've been psychotic in the past and I wonder if I actually believed any of the delusions of granduer I had even when I was delusional, or I was just unable to cope and in an escapist way I was self-decieved and believed that I believed all these crazy "positiive" things and went to my "happy place" in my head while ignoring reality.
RE: Wishful Thinking a powerful (but negative) force?
I'm a giant fan of wishful thinking, without it Emmet would have never been able to return the piece of resistance to the kragle and save the world!!

YipHipHooray For Emmet!  YipHipHooray for wishful thinking!
That's more ambition, quixoticness, hopeful and aspirational thinking than wishful thinking xD

See my sig Big Grin

P.S. Great movie. One of the better family films for all ages I've seen lately. So many of the newer ones suck compared to the classics lately in my experience, but this is one of the better ones - and maybe I'm just turning into an old grandpa already Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rOFw_3t8t0
Wishful thinking can be good or bad, but mostly I think it's neutral.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Yeah I guess most of it can be pretty harmless Smile

And maybe some people need it to degree.

Not wanting to condescend but I also wouldn't wish a life of misery on anyone who really does need it if they really do!
(October 30, 2015 at 11:58 am)Evie Wrote: That's more ambition, quixoticness, hopeful and aspirational thinking than wishful thinking xD

See my sig Big Grin

P.S. Great movie. One of the better family films for all ages I've seen lately. So many of the newer ones suck compared to the classics lately in my experience, but this is one of the better ones - and maybe I'm just turning into an old grandpa already Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rOFw_3t8t0

Yeah, lego movie is my #1 fav, replacing goonies which was my #1 fav from the time of it's debut in 1985  :•)

Your video made me lol... We (the family) had dinner out on the deck a couple weeks ago, all but the youngest stayed out there.  The youngest comes out on the deck like 2 hours later and asks, "What are you guys doing?"  It was dark by then and each one of our faces was lit up by either a tablet or a phone.  So I responded, "We're spending quality family time together, what are you doing?"  (My youngest and I just watched your video and we lol'd together) lol
Hm? Wrote:(My youngest and I just watched your video and we lol'd together) lol
Awesome... I'm glad to be a happifying addtion to your life experienceness xD
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

The above quote helped me let go when I fellout with someone important. To me. And I still think it rings true in many situations. But if we don't ever wish for anything to be true, how can we ever improve our own lives? We stagnate.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I agree but I think wishful thinking is more than just wishing as in hoping.
Ah yes. I guess hoping in combination with actually thinking it might happen.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The reason religion is so powerful Macoleco 344 21513 June 30, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Serious] Freemasons: why is there such a negative view of this group? GODZILLA 8 1401 February 4, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  A critical thinking challenge Foxaèr 18 4274 June 15, 2018 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Watching my cat, thinking about god and human nature Foxaèr 68 15401 July 19, 2017 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Astonished
  what believers accept without thinking Akat4891 17 6311 June 14, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways in which I'm more powerful than God robvalue 63 9741 November 20, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The only important reason I'm more powerful than god. Foxaèr 5 1948 November 13, 2015 at 4:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Binary religious thinking robvalue 37 10126 October 25, 2015 at 4:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Critical thinking...or the lack thereof tonechaser77 27 8844 July 2, 2015 at 12:05 pm
  How powerful is god? lifesagift 127 26411 January 9, 2015 at 3:13 am