Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 8:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The reason religion is so powerful
The reason religion is so powerful
It is quite common to listen people saying that political ideologies, for example, can be as dangerous as religion. Nonetheless, I disagree with this statement.

The reason religion is so powerful is because of the concept of God. God is above everything. The universe, the Earth, humanity, were created by God. Since religion exists due to God, then religion is above everything too. Above politics, countries, economy, etc.

Life after death, for example, is exclusive to religion. No political ideology promises you heaven after death. Religion tells you you will meet your parents after death, and reunite. No political ideology promises this.

This is why religion is so dangerous. Since God is above everything, so is religion, as the cause of its existence is God, and God is absolute. So your beliefs are absolute.
RE: The reason religion is so powerful
People are arrogant, dumb, fragile, insecure, and most of all, dumb.
God then becomes the ultimate human justification/rationalization.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 6, 2021 at 3:29 am)Macoleco Wrote: It is quite common to listen people saying that political ideologies, for example, can be as dangerous as religion. Nonetheless, I disagree with this statement.

I suppose to test this, we'd have to work out whether people have been more or less willing to do violence for political purposes than for religious purposes. 

Like, how many people in history have thought, "I am facing my political enemy on the battlefield to defend my homeland and my way of life, but because this war isn't based on God I guess I'll just go home."
(June 6, 2021 at 8:27 am)Belacqua Wrote: I suppose to test this, we'd have to work out whether people have been more or less willing to do violence for political purposes than for religious purposes. 
Nope. Such a test would be morally abhorrent. Yet we have seen such tests in real life. It is not some intellectual exercise, something you seem to believe everything reduces to. No, not at all. In reality, millions have died on foot of such philosophical babblings.

Your problem is that you are stuck in academic philosophy. All clean and pretty.

You really do not care about what people do with that afterwards. The practical results of your navel gazing are unimportant to you.
(June 6, 2021 at 8:27 am)Belacqua Wrote:
(June 6, 2021 at 3:29 am)Macoleco Wrote: It is quite common to listen people saying that political ideologies, for example, can be as dangerous as religion. Nonetheless, I disagree with this statement.

I suppose to test this, we'd have to work out whether people have been more or less willing to do violence for political purposes than for religious purposes. 

When did political ideologies ever promise eternal life or eternal damnation?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Religion is politics. The addition of a theistic god, like the addition of any earthly dictator, spells disaster. People will die for their beliefs, whatever they happen to be.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 6, 2021 at 9:00 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Religion is politics.  The addition of a theistic god, like the addition of any earthly dictator, spells disaster.  People will die for their beliefs, whatever they happen to be.

Does it?

OK, having no dog in the fight, I propose this.

The rise of the evangelicals to power in the USA ensures that the USA will fall.

Agree? Disagree? Discuss?
Unlikely, given the persistence of theocratic states in history (both de jure and de facto). Cold comfort to the people on the wrong end of their efforts, ofc.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Meh...it seems to me that religious belief just as often serves as a constraint on the corrupt ambitions of the powerful. Human dignity is a purely relgious concept. Secular governance can still retain the idea for a while but without the rligious underpinning it is just an unchallenged assumption. Cut flowers cannot hold their bloom forever.
<insert profound quote here>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question about Dawkins enemies of reason documentary Quill01 3 458 April 17, 2022 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Reason Jesus must have been a real person mrj 74 10130 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 6712 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Another Reason Christians are Dangerous Rhondazvous 49 7457 February 5, 2017 at 8:55 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10699 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral Rhondazvous 24 7262 January 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4893 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways in which I'm more powerful than God robvalue 63 9638 November 20, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The only important reason I'm more powerful than god. Foxaèr 5 1944 November 13, 2015 at 4:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Wishful Thinking a powerful (but negative) force? Edwardo Piet 12 3903 October 30, 2015 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet