Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New "Earthlike" Kepler Exoplanets announced
New "Earthlike" Kepler Exoplanets announced
A few days ago, people working on Data of the Kepler satellite came out with 8 newly confirmed planets which are probably in the habitable zone of their stars, two of them in particular.

http://www.universetoday.com/117881/new-...able-zone/

Kepler, when it was still fully functional, had as its mission to constantly stare at the same square of space in the constellation Cygnus,

[Image: 286252main_kepler-milkyway-fov_946-710.jpg]

where it simultaneously monitored 150 000 stars with its 90 megapixel camera, waiting for planets to move in front of the star and registering the resulting slight dimming.

Of course, we do not know anything about these new planets except that they are probably rocky worlds near the habitable zone of their stars. They could be a Garden Eden, barren wastelands or hellish furnaces depending on their atmosphere.

Just for comparison, our own planet Venus nearly classifies as being in the habitable zone, and has since suffered a runaway greenhouse effect which has stripped it of its surface water and lets it boil in 500 centigrade temperatures. Ironically, the equilibrium temperature of Venus without greenhouse effect is, similar to earth, just slightly below freezing.

If you want to look at the stats of all known exoplanets yourself, go for example to

http://exoplanetarchive.ipac.caltech.edu/

Unless multiple transits are recorded, Kepler observations require further validation or confirmation until a discovery is announced - I've read that roughly 10% of Kepler candidates turn out to be false positives. In the case of the 8 newly validated planets, confirmation did not simply come from a separate observation using a different method, but from a very sophisticated computer-intensive simulation called "BLENDER". I have no idea how it works, but it sounds intriguing. Apparently, simulations are performed which allow to judge the statistical probability of alternative hypotheses.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: New "Earthlike" Kepler Exoplanets announced
Oh! If only I could be around when the explorers of the future set foot on the New New Worlds! Such tales of hope and excitement they would surely bring to our weary lands!
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(January 7, 2015 at 6:38 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Oh! If only I could be around when the explorers of the future set foot on the New New Worlds! Such tales of hope and excitement they would surely bring to our weary lands!

Sure they would... with 500 years delay though Big Grin

But I agree, it lets you dream, doesn't it...

I am a complete sucker for the Space age. The sense of excitement and adventure that was present in the 50s and 60s is sorely lacking in modern times.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(January 7, 2015 at 6:42 am)Alex K Wrote: Sure they would... with 500 years delay though Big Grin

But I agree, it lets you dream, doesn't it...

I am a complete sucker for the Space age. The sense of excitement and adventure that was present in the 50s and 60s is sorely lacking in modern times.
500 years...pshhhh.

Humans "just" need to figure out a way to extend longevity by a few hundred years and outsmart the cosmic speed limit.

But c'mon, we're the species that went from cave-dwelling to moon-walking in a few thousand years!
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(January 7, 2015 at 6:38 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Oh! If only I could be around when the explorers of the future set foot on the New New Worlds! Such tales of hope and excitement they would surely bring to our weary lands!

At last, a replacement for Roddenberry!

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(January 7, 2015 at 6:56 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: But c'mon, we're the species that went from cave-dwelling to moon-walking in a few thousand years!

We also went from stone throwing to nuclear bomb throwing. And that may be a problem in the long run.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Blow them up! They are heathens!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
but but but those were created only so that we could find direction in night
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(January 7, 2015 at 7:42 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: but but but those were created only so that we could find direction in night

Exactly. And the direction reads "get the fuck out of there"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kepler Keeps Finding Them Minimalist 2 774 June 21, 2017 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Another Nobel Prize Announced Minimalist 2 686 October 13, 2013 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Looks like Kepler has gone tits up popeyespappy 20 5681 May 18, 2013 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Earthlike planet discovered! theVOID 13 5689 September 30, 2010 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels