Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:49 am

Poll: How would you react to learning a god existed, but not one you believe in?
This poll is closed.
I would ignore it, assume the evidence was mistaken and reject it out of hand.
1.52%
2 1.52%
If convinced of the evidence, I would be curious to learn as much about it as possible.
12.12%
16 12.12%
If convinced of the evidence, I would be disinterested to learn more about it.
0%
0 0%
Regardless of its intentions, I would be grateful to the god that created everything.
1.52%
2 1.52%
Depending on its intentions, I might very well not be at all grateful.
6.06%
8 6.06%
If I liked what I learned about this god, I'd would seek a relationship with it if that were possible.
5.30%
7 5.30%
Even if I liked what I learned about this god, I might nonetheless choose not to engage with it.
6.06%
8 6.06%
If the new god was interested in knowing me as an individual I would hope that it would approve of my life choices and conduct. If not, I'd be curious to understand why not.
6.06%
8 6.06%
If the new god was interested in knowing me as an individual I would not put much if any stock in its approval.
3.79%
5 3.79%
Assuming I liked this god and it was interested in me individually, I'd be interested to receive its guidance.
5.30%
7 5.30%
Assuming I liked this god and it was interested in me individually, I'd still prefer to make my own way without its guidance.
6.82%
9 6.82%
I would flat out worship everything about such a god, whether or not it was required and whether or not there was anything in it for me.
1.52%
2 1.52%
Worship has no place in my life, or even if it does, I would not look to apply it to this god.
6.82%
9 6.82%
Knowing there was a god interested in me personally would make a huge difference in or at least add real value to my life.
3.03%
4 3.03%
Knowing there was a god interested in me personally would not greatly impact my life.
7.58%
10 7.58%
If this revealed god could not or chose not to provide me with a life everlasting, I would be less favorably inclined toward it.
0.76%
1 0.76%
If this revealed god could not or chose not to provide me with a life everlasting, would not much change how I felt about it.
8.33%
11 8.33%
I identify as an atheist.
12.88%
17 12.88%
I identify as a theist.
2.27%
3 2.27%
I identify in a different manner. Please explain.
2.27%
3 2.27%
Total 132 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would you regard good evidence for a God you don't now believe in?
How would you regard good evidence for a God you don't now believe in?
This is meant to be a question answerable by theists and atheists alike. Please choose all the descriptors which describe how you would feel upon learning there was now good, objective evidence for a creator god - but not one you already believe in. Your choices will be made public.

Given the dominant cultural presence of Christianity for most of us here, I'd like to ask the question in reference to the god of the bible - if you are an atheist or follow any religion other than Christianity.

If you already identify as Christian (of whatever stripe), it would probably be best to imagine the god revealed to be other than Allah or the god of the jews. Lets just agree that the god that is revealed can produce convincing documentation that she is indeed the creator of the cosmos but is not the one described in the Torah, Bible or Koran.

The choices:

1) I would ignore it, assume the evidence was mistaken and reject it out of hand.

2) If convinced of the evidence, I would be curious to learn as much about it as possible.

3) If convinced of the evidence, I would be disinterested to learn more about it.

4) Regardless of its intentions, I would be grateful to the god that created everything.

5) Depending on its intentions, I might very well not be at all grateful.

6) If I liked what I learned about this god, I'd would seek a relationship with it if that were possible.

7) Even if I liked what I learned about this god, I might nonetheless choose not to engage with it.

8) If the new god was interested in knowing me as an individual I would hope that it would approve of my life choices and conduct. If not, I'd be curious to understand why not.

9) If the new god was interested in knowing me as an individual I would not put much if any stock in its approval.

10) Assuming I liked this god and it was interested in me individually, I'd be interested to receive its guidance.

11) Assuming I liked this god and it was interested in me individually, I'd still prefer to make my own way without its guidance.

12) I would flat out worship everything about such a god, whether or not it was required and whether or not there was anything in it for me.

13) Worship has no place in my life, or even if it does, I would not look to apply it to this god.

14) Knowing there was a god interested in me personally would make a huge difference in or at least add real value to my life.

15) Knowing there was a god interested in me personally would not greatly impact my life.

16) If this revealed god could not or chose not to provide me with a life everlasting, I would be less favorably inclined toward it.

17) If this revealed god could not or chose not to provide me with a life everlasting, would not much change how I felt about it.

18) I identify as an atheist.

19) I identify as a theist.

20) I identify in a different manner. Please explain.
RE: How would you regard good evidence for a God you don't now believe in?
I choose option 20. If this was the Christian god, I'd tell him to kiss my ass... And die happily (I'm not kidding)
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I'd be too busy murdering this 'creator god' in a giddy mania to really focus on 'the big questions'.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Yeah, so would I. But not before it's accounted itself to me.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
An objectively revealed god, would mostly likely be some kind of demiurge which would still be very interesting but not maximally great.
1: I would ignore it, assume the evidence was mistaken and reject it out of hand.

I cannot even conceive of any evidence that would be worth considering.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(January 8, 2015 at 9:36 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Yeah, so would I. But not before it's accounted itself to me.

Plenty of time for that while it dies dies DIES! Angry

Luckily... killing gods takes a good long while.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(January 8, 2015 at 9:44 pm)IATIA Wrote: 1: I would ignore it, assume the evidence was mistaken and reject it out of hand.

I cannot even conceive of any evidence that would be worth considering.

Exactly the same response as my wife. She also copped to #1 but she then wanted to know why there isn't a choice for "this just doesn't interest me".

It really does seem totally absurd but I given my early, childhood bout of Christianity I find the hypothetical easier to engage.
Yeah, you're god, what of it? You're still not worthy of my time or attention.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(January 8, 2015 at 9:38 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: An objectively revealed god, would mostly likely be some kind of demiurge which would still be very interesting but not maximally great.

You are no more able to engage the hypotheticals than my wife. So really, like her, you have to just choose the first one don't you? Or I guess you're saying "fine, science has identified something that qualifies as a god but they missed the big one". Didn't consider that.

I really wanted it to be understood as evidence that only this one creator god existed and NOT the one you already believe in. Oh well, swing and a miss.

(January 8, 2015 at 9:50 pm)Sionnach Wrote: Yeah, you're god, what of it? You're still not worthy of my time or attention.

Don't make me smite thee, youngster. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8224 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4609 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Foxaèr 31 4832 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  On this world if humans ceased to exist would god cease to exist? brewer 58 12370 November 24, 2017 at 3:17 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 37825 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 28132 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20245 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6021 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  God is not good Foxaèr 19 4158 November 3, 2017 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 238573 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa