Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
America is Tragically Soul-Sick
America is Tragically Soul-Sick
Hello. This is my hello post. I am here in large part because of the following feelings and thoughts.

I was raised crazy Christian fundie by a Nazi mom and her procession of phallic wannabe-providers who were, in reality, addicts, crazies, and losers. Because of my utterly-wrecked-from-the-start childhood, my deep brain structures are extremely slow-to-trust gatekeepers over my ability to form human bonds.

I'm pretty sure the above now represents a kind of upbringing which people younger than me could only wish for. That is to say, I'm pretty sure my idea of a wrecked home, back in the 70s, 80s, and as I grew into numeric adulthood in the 90s, was far -- let me not say better, let me instead say "ironically more helpful" -- than what people younger than me, experienced, or experience.

I care about things like a Christian is supposed to. I was always attracted to that sense of justice being a spiritual act - not religious, but spiritual - half of my respect for Jesus comes from the scene where he flipped out and drove big finance out of the temple, the other half, from his acts of mercy upon untouchables which also amounted to civil disobedience.

Becoming atheist as a young adult did not change any of this for me.

However, my morals have always been driven by revulsion. Remember: I'm from a broken home full of some of the worst kind of Americans. My strong sense of what is wrong, what must be fought and prevented and exposed, comes from intimate knowledge of having been wronged in those, or similar, ways.

What I see in those around me, both in acknowledged atheists, and in the more-common mainstream American (who claims, utterly fraudulently, the faith of their parents, for the sake of convenience and conformity, but who are fully atheist - except, perhaps, when whipped to conform on an issue as a voting block or as a brainwashed mass - and, by and large, mindlessly anti-human), is that it seems more common for people to reject the traditional human dignities in an entirely forgivable and predictable act of throwing out babies with bathwater.

After having been raised by a culture so oppressive that it robs you of your will to cling to your own humanity, by demonizing that humanity, those who escape, too often, believe that this nebulous "sense of humanity" was imposed on them as part of the Christian brainwashing.

Bear in mind that the likely majority of self-proclaimed atheists are people who have reached adulthood, gotten out on their own and into the world, and importantly, gotten away from their families - before they embraced atheism. At this point in their lives, they are expected, and inwardly driven, to put the lessons of life so far into a useful context - to cast our experiences as a source of wisdom. If all they have known, all their lives, is that their internal thirsts for dignity, for deep and meaningful human bonds, for a good hard cry every now and then, for recognition, for someone to hear us present our grievances, and so on, are not worth acknowledging - are flaws in need of medication - are symptoms of an uppity, unrealistic idealism - how would those people grow up to be anything but soul-sick?

To the extent that I am criticizing specifically atheist households, this is an observation from the far, far, far outside. I have zero contact with my family because they see me as demon-possessed for abandoning the faith. Moreover, I have zero contact with entire family units which operate, and have always operated, as atheists, or as theists in outward claim only. However, here's why I come to these conclusions (and please be aware, in the list below, that I am deliberately choosing the words "I don't see" because I am aware the greatest problem here might be a continued fear of exposing myself to communities of humans).

- I don't see atheists working to teach their children about being "good Samaritans"
- I see a generation who demands logical proof before they will dignify sympathy and empathy as virtues; relatedly,
- I see atheists comfortable giving informed consent to human rights abuses, and philosophizing that civic responsibility is a flawed concept - in a complete reversal of the traditional trend where education is a liberalizing force, I see atheists dryly accepting harsh realities and confused why they should object
- I see atheists who seem more afraid, not less afraid; who are objectively less driven, not more; who rationalize amoral and antimoral stances toward social responsibility more skillfully, where a Christian would simply spout something which is barely recognizable as a sentence, an atheist will explain in dry, historically-valid, deterministic, bastardized-Nietzsche-flavored apathy.

In short I see atheists as having self-fulfilled the threats insinuated into their minds by their presumably Christian brainwashing -- that a life without faith will be a lonely life where souls do nothing but burn and cry out to nobody.

And I see this as a brain virus, which is largely responsible for the moral cowardice which has so recently accelerated the death of free thought on earth; a dying process nowhere so pronounced as in America.

I see it as self-fulfilling; I was taught there is no love or life outside the faith, and now, despite being a member of a demographic with far superior moral comprehension, as promised, I can find none - at least, very specifically, none for me.

As such I continue to be alone, and as handicapped in my effectiveness, as a person without a community or a creed, is expected to be. Will inevitably be, for the most part, in a social species. And so, I think, do we all.

This is where religious mind control, and collapse of an empire, dovetail with macabre beauty - between Sunday and Sunday, the faithful uphold each other and cast down the unbelievers, with a mutual disgust and distrust both far greater, and far more relevant, than that of natives vs immigrants, or any other disagreement.

Apathy and irony fused into a dysfunctional arbitrariness of self, and a jealous hatred toward anyone who claims to have successfully held onto a fully human identity - that is what I see coming out of the commingling of the wave toward rational secularism, as it drowns its cathartic sorrows well past the self-medication treatment's recommended span.

Hi. I'm really f___ing lonely, and I do _not_ think too much.
RE: America is Tragically Soul-Sick
Hello, welcome aboard Smile I'm very sorry to hear about your childhood, everyone deserves better than that.

I understand your jaded attitude towards people, I feel the same. I don't like the human race as a whole, and I see people being selfish and inconsiderate when they think they can get away with it. Many people are just plain evil and I can't even bear to think about the things they do.

I don't think this has anything to do with atheism though. Atheism is a nothing, it's the default position. For example, you wouldn't generalize people who don't believe in unicorns.

People suck, and a lot of those people are atheist. Religion, in my opinion, is not a better alternative.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 12, 2015 at 1:39 am)robvalue Wrote: Hello, welcome aboard Smile I'm very sorry to hear about your childhood, everyone deserves better than that.

I understand your jaded attitude towards people, I feel the same. I don't like the human race as a whole, and I see people being selfish and inconsiderate when they think they can get away with it. Many people are just plain evil and I can't even bear to think about the things they do.

I don't think this has anything to do with atheism though. Atheism is a nothing, it's the default position. For example, you wouldn't generalize people who don't believe in unicorns.

People suck, and a lot of those people are atheist. Religion, in my opinion, is not a better alternative.

As many words as I spent, I know my emotional state isn't leading to the clearest expressions. I'm not trying to argue, but to clarify.

It's not atheism I blame, not by a long stretch. What I think I'm perceiving, is the "exit programming" of religion, combined with the simple fact that, in a culture dominated by religious values, atheists find themselves in a bit more empty a position than they bargained for - suddenly without a community, which means, suddenly expected to live without the benefits of a community, which means, embarking on a lonely path where the school of hard knocks will teach you all your lessons.

This is not the same situation atheists would be in, if atheists were truly free in this society. Without the persecution, and marginalization, and pressures, keeping so many functional atheists clinging to their church communities as reinforcement to the notion that there is no community outside the church... there would probably be community outside the churches. Functional community, not the stumbling we have today.

I'm not out to promote something like a church of atheism, but I do accuse atheists of checking out of the human race, becoming dysfunctional Thoreau-wannabes, exchanging bastardized Nietzsche for unfiltered Rand, intending to wait until the crazies nuke each other, and hoping to come out ahead in the end. I'm accusing atheists of raising a middle finger to the next generation of people born under fundie oppression, denouncing any responsibility of community, and therefore of participating in the shutdown of all the good parts of our culture, at a time when that shutdown is so beneficial to the 1% and dooming to the rest of us.

Without being a put-upon group programmed to forever see itself as a minority, atheists would not, I think, be so morally lazy and uncaring towards the human race. That's my indictment towards the trend, and not toward an imaginary culture: the rebellion required to free oneself from religion, has mixed with American culture, to produce something not functional. A creed of mutually, societally-suicidal loners, clinging to a shell-shocked arbitrariness and disdain for hope.

I don't hate humans. I do fear and pity the current state of my fellow Americans, however.
Wow... well... um, welcome! You sure do have a lot to say!
(January 12, 2015 at 2:09 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: Wow... well... um, welcome! You sure do have a lot to say!

Yep. Thanks for the welcome.
Okay, I kind of get what you're saying, but again with the atheist bashing. I'm not insulted, hammer away, I just find it confusing. I agree that especially in highly religious countries, being atheist is very hard and finding community and support can be different. This could understandably cause some people to lose hope somewhat. But from my experience, this is far from a general case. I've seen and heard plenty of atheists standing up and being counted, and I've noticed a significant trend in my life that the less religious someone is, the nicer they are. That's simply my experience over 37 years (most of which I wasn't shitting in my own pants).

People who grew up with religion and relied on it for nearly everything are going to find a big void, and it can be hard to craft your own future and routine. Also indoctrination often leaves mental scars which may take some time to heal.

Sure, if religion didn't exist, we wouldn't even need the word atheist. Even if religion was relegated to the hokey superstitious nonsense that it is, comparable to avoiding black cats or whatever, we wouldn't need a word or to fight for our rights.

I'm sad to see you experience has so far been negative, but on the whole I have not seen things to be as bad as you describe. But then I live in a very liberal country where religion isn't a big deal, so that's probably the reason. Where do you live? Sorry if I missed it.

I agree atheists need to band together when isolated, and support each other through religous withdrawal and persecution. And if we don't push back against religious oppression, it's not likely to stop. The internet is a God send (hahah!) for atheism, since a 5 year old can now do a quick google and find out that the bible and Quran are utter garbage, and find all religion's dirty little secrets. It also makes it easier for atheists to communicate.

So I think there will be a period of post-religion adjustment for any society that is heavily built around it, but I feel fairly confident that the good people will keep being good. And the arse holes, well, they'll probably still be arse holes.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Hello, Nate. Welcome.

It is true that there are no requirements to be a parent but still, one can really fuck it up by introducing religion into the mix.

We have a few bad examples of theistic nut cakes around here. I'm sure you'll spot them yourself in no time. They serve as comic relief.

Relax and enjoy.
(January 12, 2015 at 1:27 am)NathanHawks Wrote: Hello. This is my hello post. I am here in large part because of the following feelings and thoughts.

I was raised crazy Christian fundie by a Nazi mom and her procession of phallic
Ok, before I read on, I'd like to offer a heartfelt welcome on these here relatively Nazi-less, but quite phallic, forums Big Grin
Quote: wannabe-providers who were, in reality, addicts, crazies, and losers.

well, erm... ok... so... at least we don't have Nazis.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Phallic nazis, if you will.

Index of my best videos
(January 12, 2015 at 2:55 am)robvalue Wrote: Phallic nazis, if you will.

aren't they all...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Living in America's South... mlmooney89 33 2525 June 7, 2016 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Teen in America ;-; ObliviousCat 18 2209 April 26, 2015 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  I was wondering about religion in America nogodchick 45 6147 May 5, 2014 at 11:14 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Another lost soul joins up ! Godless 18 6897 September 30, 2009 at 7:21 am
Last Post: neverinchurch