Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 15, 2024, 11:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Country has officially become the shittiest genre of music there is.
Country has officially become the shittiest genre of music there is.
There are no words. Just watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY8SwIvxj8o#t=223

It's like the very concept of creativity itself manifested as some kind of bizarre, mentally-retarded personification for the sole purpose of experiencing the horror of a lingering, lonely death.
RE: Country is officially the shittiest genre of music there is.
I agree, the above is such an eerily neutered music like thing.

For the definite statement on mainstream country and western, I refer to Nashville (Robert Altman)

Absolute must see film.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

That ain't country. If you want the real stuff, you've got to go back to Willie and Merle and Hank Sr and Waylon, in my opinion.

Modern "country" is pop sung with an accent, and steel guitars overdubbed on the chorus.

(January 15, 2015 at 4:46 am)Parkers Tan Wrote: That ain't country. If you want the real stuff, you've got to go back to Willie and Merle and Hank Sr and Waylon, in my opinion.

Modern "country" is pop sung with an accent, and steel guitars overdubbed on the chorus.

It is, it is. It's particularly cheap pop compositions given a veneer of country, isn't it?

It looks like mainstream folk music has the tendency to degenerate extremely. This is very noticeable in the absolutely unlistenable contemporary German/Austrian "Volks"musik. Produced to death crap as it is currently employed to pacify senior citizens rotting away in elderly care centers:

Yes, I know what you are thinking: the Germans have again managed to create a greater horror than you could have imagined.

As antidote, closer the real thing, even with electric guitars (ignore the early 90s touch tho)

The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

In music, the new, the engaging, tends to move to the middle, to be harnessed, tamed ... and then neutered.

I can dig some country. About ten years ago, at the apex of my metal head days, I worked with a bunch of Amish dudes who turned me on to some good country. In spite of my best efforts, it grew on me.

I really dig folk music too. Any music born out of hardship just has something extra. Or maybe it's the combination of a working class level of craftsmanship, simplicity, and the sense that an entire people would be dead if not for that particular style of folk music. One of my favorite sort of zoning out methods is to just pick a country at random, youtube that country's folk music, and just zone for like 20 minutes. Once I'm familiar with the sound and feeling of their music, I do a bit of reading on the origin to get a sense of what these people were going through when their music was squeezed out of them.

I guess that's kind of dumb to label all of those different styles "folk music", especially since under that criteria, rap, blues, and flamenco would qualify as folk, but I do consider them folk. It's when the music starts to become industrialized that it starts moving away from folk and towards pop. I feel it even loses something on its journey towards academia. When it's no longer giving a people the extra boost they need to face their life, it's no longer folk.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Cool Shades
(January 15, 2015 at 4:18 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote:

Although... when it comes to bursting the over inflated ego-bubble of mega groups, country music does OK...

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Thanks Ryan. Bookmarking Smile
You know how the definitive country song would go, don't you, the one that encapsulates all others?

"Well, since they took mah momma off to prison
Things down on the farm ain't bin the same.
Now they done let her out the jailhouse
She drove her goddamn truck into a train."
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(January 15, 2015 at 7:10 am)Stimbo Wrote: You know how the definitive country song would go, don't you, the one that encapsulates all others?

"Well, since they took mah momma off to prison
Things down on the farm ain't bin the same.
Now they done let her out the jailhouse
She drove her goddamn truck into a train."

You forgot that his dog done died, too. Or does that come in the second verse?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Music to fall asleep Fake Messiah 2 655 August 29, 2023 at 5:59 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Atheist music deleted 29 2742 August 13, 2023 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  ABBA - phoney music for phoney people onlinebiker 7 1052 November 5, 2022 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Official Christmas Music Thread Foxaèr 46 2461 January 4, 2021 at 6:09 am
Last Post: rado84
  Evolution of Music from 1400 BC till the present day GrandizerII 67 10488 December 8, 2019 at 3:15 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Music You're Listening To: SofaKingHigh 3266 152923 July 2, 2019 at 1:32 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert Aegon 0 293 October 20, 2018 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Roseanne spinoff officially a go on ABC Foxaèr 8 856 June 23, 2018 at 10:33 am
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Celebrating womanhood through music Foxaèr 34 3832 April 13, 2018 at 11:41 am
Last Post: brewer
  So.... I want to make music with... Software. Any help? ErGingerbreadMandude 23 3186 August 3, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Alex K