Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
25% of the British are Mentally Ill (UK Chief Medical officer)
On the BBC morning news, 8th Sep last, the UK's Chief medical Officer, Dame Sally Davies (reputed to be one of the ten most powerful women in Britain) declared that "One in 4 of the UK population are mentally ill, and 70% are not receiving any help at all". So ... over ten million Brits need help 'cos they're mentally ill. Throughout the interview she repeatedly used the terms "mentally ill" and "mental illness". The interviewer interjected at one point "mental health problems?" ... but this had no effect. Dame Sally carried on trying to convince us that 25% of us are mad. Later I tried to find a copy of this interview on the BBC web site ... it wasn't there - they'd replaced it with a different interview, this one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29116354

Note how she now stresses "mental Health" and "mental ill Health" - I presume the BBC weren't happy with the original interview.

Three weeks later a newspaper report stated that '38% of NHS staff had reported episodes of mental health problems over the previous 12 months'.

I've observed recently that lots of people in the UK seem to be experiencing: Cognitive impairment, Selective amnesia, Thought disorder, and Paradoxical anger - side effects of psychiatric drugs (especially benzodiazepines).
RE: 25% of the British are Mentally Ill (UK Chief Medical officer)
(January 15, 2015 at 8:53 am)Newtonscat Wrote: On the BBC morning news, 8th Sep last, the UK's Chief medical Officer, Dame Sally Davies (reputed to be one of the ten most powerful women in Britain) declared that "One in 4 of the UK population are mentally ill, and 70% are not receiving any help at all". So ... over ten million Brits need help 'cos they're mentally ill. Throughout the interview she repeatedly used the terms "mentally ill" and "mental illness". The interviewer interjected at one point "mental health problems?" ... but this had no effect. Dame Sally carried on trying to convince us that 25% of us are mad. Later I tried to find a copy of this interview on the BBC web site ... it wasn't there - they'd replaced it with a different interview, this one:

Note how she now stresses "mental Health" and "mental ill Health" - I presume the BBC weren't happy with the original interview.

Three weeks later a newspaper report stated that '38% of NHS staff had reported episodes of mental health problems over the previous 12 months'.

I've observed recently that lots of people in the UK seem to be experiencing: Cognitive impairment, Selective amnesia, Thought disorder, and Paradoxical anger - side effects of psychiatric drugs (especially benzodiazepines).

"Dame Sally carried on trying to convince us that 25% of us are mad."
No, just no. "Mentally ill" does not mean "mad" any more than "has a cold" means "terminally ill".
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(January 15, 2015 at 8:53 am)Newtonscat Wrote: On the BBC morning news, 8th Sep last, the UK's Chief medical Officer, Dame Sally Davies (reputed to be one of the ten most powerful women in Britain) declared that "One in 4 of the UK population are mentally ill, and 70% are not receiving any help at all". So ... over ten million Brits need help 'cos they're mentally ill. Throughout the interview she repeatedly used the terms "mentally ill" and "mental illness". The interviewer interjected at one point "mental health problems?" ... but this had no effect. Dame Sally carried on trying to convince us that 25% of us are mad. Later I tried to find a copy of this interview on the BBC web site ... it wasn't there - they'd replaced it with a different interview, this one:

Are you sure the other interview was actually there, or are you going ...

"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Mentally ill means all mental ailments, including depression and burnouts. Our glorious time of work more and faster for less money does that to lots of people. Also the awareness of illnesses like that has risen over the past decade.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Only 25% . . .

there, fixed it for you
Nothing seems too absurd here, what's your point OP?
Same over here....except our nuts have guns.
(January 15, 2015 at 12:53 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Same over here....except our nuts have guns.

And knives too. You can't even get a good blade in the UK.
https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can-buy...ry-a-knife
Quote:The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.
23% of the British must be hypochondriacs then.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(January 15, 2015 at 11:46 am)abaris Wrote: Mentally ill means all mental ailments, including depression and burnouts.

Clap Thank you; you said exactly what I thought when I saw the title of this thread.

I'm no doubt part of that 25%, due to my depression, memory problems and depression. The fact that I've tried to off myself several times probably consolidates that position.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Potential, Possible, Maybe Medical Game-Changer BrianSoddingBoru4 0 266 March 21, 2022 at 4:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Vaccination exemption in CA, personal down, medical up brewer 245 45901 December 25, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Inspiring Medical Breakthroughs of 2017 shadow 13 2890 December 25, 2017 at 10:32 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Medical information needed. Gawdzilla Sama 22 4633 September 25, 2017 at 8:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A couple of Medical snippets brewer 0 592 June 5, 2017 at 5:55 am
Last Post: brewer
  Medical/Sugar/Comparison to Big Tobacco brewer 7 2044 December 2, 2016 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Noprophets
  Medical - MS brewer 6 1791 October 8, 2016 at 11:35 am
Last Post: Athene
  More Medical Crap brewer 5 1384 September 29, 2016 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Medical: ADHD and Homeless brewer 5 1268 September 27, 2016 at 11:49 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Medical/Psych snippets brewer 0 766 September 20, 2016 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: brewer