Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Wrote the Torah?
Who Wrote the Torah?
I'm curious about what the Christians here believe regarding the authorship of the Torah, also called the Pentateuch, or (for clarification) Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy - also known as the Five Books of Moses.

Judaism says Moses wrote them. Traditional Christianity tends to agree. What say you?
RE: Who Wrote the Torah?
They think Moses wrote them? Doesn't an author usually have to exist first?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
It's somewhat impossible for Moses to have written about his own death in Deuteronomy. But hey, all things are possible with God.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Considering that the historical evidence says there was no Exodus, I really wonder how reliable this Moses guy is even if he wrote it.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Pretty sure Moses is a copy of a previous mythological character. If memory serves. I don't think anyone with any brain cells thinks he wrote it, if any of it happened at all.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Who wrote the Torah? The Sumerians, the Babylonians, the Egyptians, the Hyksos, anybody who had a story stolen by those proto-Bedouins.
But in all seriousness, I think there's a theory that states there were four (five?) main authors.

Then there's other interesting observations such as two creation stories (of a possible four) that survived and are now in Genesis.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
God enjoyed making the universe so much, he did it again in a different order! Great start to a great book.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
but - but - you guys aren't Christians! STFU already.
There is a difference between composition and writing. I lean to the concoction of oral tales in the Persian period based on various bits of local folklore and elements borrowed from Babylon. As Philip R. Davies suggests in "In Search of Ancient Israel" the primary function of the religion was to give legitimacy to the newly-arrived Persian overlords. There would have been no compelling need to reduce any of it to writing given the small population/geographic area involved and like many religions the priest class would have jealousy guarded their knowledge. It seems that it was the Greeks who let the cat out of the bag by copying down these oral traditions in what we now know as the Septuagint in the 3d century BC.

It was not until the mid 2d century BC that any recognizable independent jewish state began to form in the region which may have made use of written texts and that seems to be when we get all the rest of the nonsense being scribbled down.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How the Torah predicted the coming of Mohamed Muslim Scholar 71 18778 May 18, 2013 at 4:34 am
Last Post: Muslim Scholar
  A Deist wrote this? radorth 30 11581 April 23, 2012 at 12:54 am
Last Post: Tempus