Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Pastors!
Atheist Pastors!
Last night I went to a skeptics' Meetup group to get to know some of our local heathens. I had a great time, but what really blew my mind was the fact that two of the people there used to be Christian Pastors!

One of them told me about a group he had helped found, called The Clergy Project. It's a support group for pastors who no longer believe in supernatural mumbo-jumbo, pastors who are agnostic or skeptical and trying to make sense of the disconnect between reality and faith, and ex-pastors who left because they stopped believing. They currently have around 600 members nationwide, and he told me that about 25% of them were atheists who were actively pastoring a church, and didn't see how they could do anything else because all their education was theological.

I was astonished to learn that so many pastors don't actually believe what they preach. He also told me about his own transition from ministry, which started when he attended a Pastor's Conference and confessed his growing agnosticism to the group. To his surprise, about half of the pastors there said they, too, had lost their faith or were in the process of losing it.

I gotta wonder, how many pastors out there are simply going through the motions? Do any of them outside the spittle-spewing iggorant fundy crowd actually believe the crap they're saying?

What a weird thing.
RE: Atheist Pastors!
Quote:I was astonished to learn that so many pastors don't actually believe what they preach

Given the stupidity of it, it's astonishing that so many do.
(January 15, 2015 at 12:41 pm)Davka Wrote: I gotta wonder, how many pastors out there are simply going through the motions? Do any of them outside the spittle-spewing iggorant fundy crowd actually believe the crap they're saying?

What a weird thing.

For the most prominent amongst them it's foremost a lucrative business. The Pat Robertsons make millions by selling shit to their viewers. I'm not sure what they believe, but money certainly is the god they put before the jealous one.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(January 15, 2015 at 12:52 pm)abaris Wrote:
(January 15, 2015 at 12:41 pm)Davka Wrote: I gotta wonder, how many pastors out there are simply going through the motions? Do any of them outside the spittle-spewing iggorant fundy crowd actually believe the crap they're saying?

What a weird thing.

For the most prominent amongst them it's foremost a lucrative business. The Pat Robertsons make millions by selling shit to their viewers. I'm not sure what they believe, but money certainly is the god they put before the jealous one.

This is especially true with those preaching the prosperity gospel, like Osteen. "Buy my shit, and I'll give you empty platitudes that you'll naively think will lead you to the kind of wealth I currently enjoy!"
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
I've heard a lot about this on AXP, it's a brilliant thing for sure. People that are heavily entrenched need lots of support to get out. I think they protect their identities so that they can get the help while still in, until they build up the strength and the right situation to finally leave. It's sad to think of just how many pastors and such out there are putting on a show because their belief has died, and they're just waiting for a way out.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 15, 2015 at 1:20 pm)robvalue Wrote: I've heard a lot about this on AXP, it's a brilliant thing for sure. People that are heavily entrenched need lots of support to get out. I think they protect their identities so that they can get the help while still in, until they build up the strength and the right situation to finally leave. It's sad to think of just how many pastors and such out there are putting on a show because their belief has died, and they're just waiting for a way out.

Agree completely. Depending on the venue the soon to be former pastor's entire family could seriously suffer.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
I am not surprised i mean after awhile a pastor is going to question what he is preaching and be like....
this makes no sense none of it makes any sense.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85azbjY4E84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYA0wVj4_OM
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

This is why I was so dissapointed with Dan Barker's interview on The Daily Show. He is largely responsible for the Clergy Project, so I really wanted to like him.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I read Dennett's book on this topic "Caught in the Pulpit". I was most surprised by several of the Episcopalian priests interviewed who did not believe in a supernatural deity but still claimed to be fully Christian. This relates to the other thread about Christian atheists.

Personally, I feel much more comfortable with an atheist priest or pastor than I do with a theist. My last priest was probably a secret atheist. I think this priest was covertly trying to promote skepticism. At the time I was extremely religious.