Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well this is awkward.
Well this is awkward.
Quote:In 2004, a little boy named Alex Malarkey was in a car accident that left him paralyzed and in a two-month coma. Six years later, he and his father, Kevin Malarkey, co-wrote the New York Times bestseller, The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven: A Remarkable Account of Miracles, Angels, and Life beyond This World, which claimed to be the “true story” of his son’s experience in heaven.

Now, the teenage Alex Malarkey has admitted that he made the whole thing up.

This week, he published the open letter below to Lifeway Books, the company that has made a business out of “heavenly tourism” with this book and others, on pulpitandpen.org:

Please forgive the brevity, but because of my limitations I have to keep this short.
I did not die. I did not go to Heaven.
I said I went to heaven because I thought it would get me attention. When I made the claims that I did, I had never read the Bible. People have profited from lies, and continue to. They should read the Bible, which is enough. The Bible is the only source of truth. Anything written by man cannot be infallible.
It is only through repentance of your sins and a belief in Jesus as the Son of God, who died for your sins (even though he committed none of his own) so that you can be forgiven may you learn of Heaven outside of what is written in the Bible…not by reading a work of man. I want the whole world to know that the Bible is sufficient. Those who market these materials must be called to repent and hold the Bible as enough.
In Christ,
Alex Malarkey.

As of Friday morning, the book can no longer be found on LifeWay’s website. Another major Christian book publisher, Tyndale House, also announced it will stop selling the book and “related ancillary products” after Malarkey’s admission.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/boy-who-c...to-heaven/

Who would have thought that people could make up such silly claims to sell books?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Well this is awkward.
There's already a thread underway...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

If People had any sense they'd demand a refund direct from the kid's estate, which I presume must be vast.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Even more awkward, there's already a thread:

http://atheistforums.org/thread-30977.html
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Whoops! Awkward, INDEED!

0:-)
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(January 16, 2015 at 4:10 pm)Sionnach Wrote: Even more awkward, there's already a thread:

http://atheistforums.org/thread-30977.html

Even more awkward: I've already said that. Ha!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awkward School Religious Experiences? Jade-Green Stone 14 1360 December 8, 2018 at 8:30 am
Last Post: Jade-Green Stone
  Again??? This is why Jesus keeps well away Cyberman 25 5141 September 18, 2017 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4457 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Believe in hell? well you might want to stop dyresand 6 3090 January 14, 2015 at 3:31 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why god cannot heal amputees? Well... he did, once. TheBigOhMan 34 18357 June 12, 2013 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: little_monkey
  Expensive houses of well known televangelists Ziploc Surprise 29 16250 May 14, 2012 at 10:22 am
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Well done Idaho downbeatplumb 11 3037 September 17, 2011 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist