Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 5:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awkward School Religious Experiences?
Awkward School Religious Experiences?
One of my most awkward but also empowering moments when I asked not to participate in a pray circle before a drama act we were to do for a competition. We had an atheist in our class, nice guy, blunt, and rather funny, he always didn't participate for obvious reasons. I did so out of fear of being looked at weird. Given that I was when I opted out, like I was wearing my weirdness for all to see. But I also made me prouder in myself for showing that I wasn't going to be cowed by what was expected of me over what I really thought.

What about you, ever had an experience like this? Or something stranger?
RE: Awkward School Religious Experiences?
Yeah. I went to a meditation talk at an off-brand church. They wanted me to participate when they had each person sit in a chair, close their eyes, and have other people send them energy towards the purpose of having their stated goal fulfilled. Or something along those lines. I passed.

On the other hand, I have sung hymns at a Unitarian Universalist church, a practice I found to be very creepy.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I pissed myself during the nativity play in front of a packed audience. Fairly awkward.
I went to Catholic school so, you know, weird from start to finish.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Does making the principal shout, "Oh dear god, not you again!" count?
In stepper meetings we have all kinds of closet atheists that pray during the meetings. Fear of not being accepted. I just laugh when they come out to me after.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I got caught out in the whole youth club thing that turned out to be for Xtians. I was a teenager and someone in my role playing group invited me along so I thought why not. It wasn't like I had many friends and none that I hung around with after school. I can't remember what they actually did there, everyone just seem to hang around a hall playing ping pong or table football or something. And then they closed it with a big prayer so I excused myself and sat out in the hall while they did it. Probably not the reaction they were hoping for.

I think I went a second time and did the same thing again, but then thought to myself, why am I even bothering to turn up?
Surprisingly enough, no. I used to go to a pretty traditional, religious Hindu school, but all the religious things were more related to, like, actual concrete things such as good deeds and whatever. I find that Hinduism is a very friendly religion to be surrounded by as an atheist.
Like, we'd read 5 verses of the Bhagwad Geeta every day during the morning assembly, and of course I found it annoying, but then sometimes they'd explain the meaning and stuff and it was almost always viewed as a learning experience, and as stories about life, than proof of god. 
Hinduism obviously has its fair share of right wing extremism, my extended family included, but for the most part no one tries to shove it down your throat, as long as you don't try to shove non-belief down theirs.
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 
Public school. I refused to bow my head during prayers. (1961) Teacher paddled me. Mom threatened to kill her if she touched me again.
A couple of years of Catholic school.

That was a weird enough experience.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Persistent Non-Symbolic Experiences Ahriman 0 533 August 18, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  School bible circle ShirkahnW 9 1153 November 20, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Ascribing remarkable experiences to God (spoiler: I think it's unwarranted) GrandizerII 2 699 December 5, 2017 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Mass shooting in a school? Need God. Mass shooting in a church?.... Chad32 54 11589 November 14, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Satanists to give invocation at high school football game jenny1972 28 6509 October 29, 2015 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: MentalGiant
Bug Religion in school Supermanbeer 19 4428 October 29, 2015 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Well this is awkward. Mudhammam 5 1663 January 16, 2015 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  I actually think the school board got this right Minimalist 3 1167 November 14, 2014 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Have you had experiences you'd describe as sacred, mystical and/or religious? Whateverist 62 13014 August 30, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Have you had experiences you'd describe as sacred, spiritual and/or religious? Whateverist 0 1373 August 19, 2014 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: Whateverist