Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Anti-theists really the "mean atheists?"
Are Anti-theists really the "mean atheists?"
Hey, I was wondering, I've read up on Anti-theism which is the active opposition to religion. Is it a stereotype that Anti-theists are about belittling and harassing others over a belief in God? Or is that really how Anti-theism is? I ask because I want to be an Anti-theist, but I don't want to resort to name calling, or whatever. I want to be nice about my anti-theism. I want to kill Religion with Logic and Reasoning--it's worst enemy-- without hate and disrespect towards its followers. Is it possible to be an Anti-theist and not be mean to others about it? Thanks a bunch.
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: Are Anti-theists really the "mean atheists?"
(January 21, 2015 at 12:14 am)IanHulett Wrote: Hey, I was wondering, I've read up on Anti-theism which is the active opposition to religion. Is it a stereotype that Anti-theists are about belittling and harassing others over a belief in God? Or is that really how Anti-theism is? I ask because I want to be an Anti-theist, but I don't want to resort to name calling, or whatever. I want to be nice about my anti-theism. I want to kill Religion with Logic and Reasoning--it's worst enemy-- without hate and disrespect towards its followers. Is it possible to be an Anti-theist and not be mean to others about it? Thanks a bunch.

Sure, and you just described how to do it.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(January 21, 2015 at 12:24 am)Chas Wrote:
(January 21, 2015 at 12:14 am)IanHulett Wrote: Hey, I was wondering, I've read up on Anti-theism which is the active opposition to religion. Is it a stereotype that Anti-theists are about belittling and harassing others over a belief in God? Or is that really how Anti-theism is? I ask because I want to be an Anti-theist, but I don't want to resort to name calling, or whatever. I want to be nice about my anti-theism. I want to kill Religion with Logic and Reasoning--it's worst enemy-- without hate and disrespect towards its followers. Is it possible to be an Anti-theist and not be mean to others about it? Thanks a bunch.

Sure, and you just described how to do it.

If one identifies as anti-theist, will people automatically assume you're mean, though? I have a similar problem, though I think you can be a nice anti-theist, I don't know if you can avoid people immediately judging based on that label alone. But, I could be wrong. Anybody know?
Depending on the day, I can feel like an anti theist, but I don't consider myself mean. I'm anti theist because I believe religion can do more harm than good. Mostly the religious types that try to pass laws discriminating against people outside their religion, or personally abusing or threatening/committing violence against other people for the sake of their religion.

You may swap out "religion" for "personal relationship with X deity" if you choose. It's all the same to me.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I don't look at anti-theist as being mean, actually my definition is not even in the ballpark of how one treats believers. In the world inside my head, I define an atheist as some who rejects the notion of any sort of god and couldn't be bothered with conversation or debate about religion. Religion = waste of time.

An anti-theist is a person who takes in interest in opposing religion, its stories, and values. Making a stand against the 800 pound gorilla that is religion is worth the fight to an anti-theist.

To me, I'm one or the other depending on mood, motivation, or time available.
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
Epicurus
We face the problem that even the word "atheist" is hugely misunderstood, and the church has put out damning propaganda against it. So many people genuinely think atheists are devil worshippers, people who hat God, or people out to try and destroy your beliefs etc.

So based on that, those people are going to think even worse of anti-theist, I guess. They may not actually of heard of the term though!

But I agree with everyone here, there's no reason at all that anti-theism has to be mean. I'm probably anti-theist by most definitions, but I only ever try and promote proper critical thinking and to point out problems with religion in an honest manner. There's always going to be people who have preconceptions about what words mean, but I don't think you should let that stop you. We are always free to educate anyone who misunderstands terms.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
This is a major issue that I wish we would focus on more. I don't know if Chas was being funny with his reply or if it really is that simple for him. It sure isn't simple for me. I want to be an anti-theist without coming across as a prick but I find that it is difficult.

A classic example is a plane crash where everybody dies except a little girl. The theists fall all over themselves praising God for saving the child. You point out the logical absurdity of praising God for intervening on the part of the little girl while letting her family (and everyone else on the plane) perish. The theists look upon you as an insensitive prick for attacking their comfort delusions.

I think it is important that if theists insist on spewing their viewpoint, we counter them. It doesn't help our cause though if in the process of doing so, we reinforce the stereotype that atheists are cold-hearted pricks. Maybe some atheists can dispense logic without coming across that way but I have a hard time of it. I think most of us do.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I'm pretty sure that killing and eating babies is in the contract.

Whether or not you think that is mean is another story.

I do not mind being perceived as a jerk in relation to my anti-theism. I am already relatively antisocial, so that probably factors into it.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Yes, as Chas said, you do just what you just said. Additionally I think it is important to preserve compassion for others. Also, atheism should never be the highest good that is somehow enforced directly. Freedom (of thought) and critical thinking should be.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anti Smell Devices! Goosebump 2 236 February 18, 2022 at 6:35 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What does your username mean? vulcanlogician 46 2743 February 11, 2022 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Do you say anything to anti maskers in public? Brian37 37 2287 January 6, 2021 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What is it that makes people so mean on the internet? NuclearEnergy 9 1102 October 23, 2017 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: c172
  So these rapists are... I mean these.... Brian37 43 8798 August 2, 2017 at 12:29 am
Last Post: Athene
  The Mean Arena The Valkyrie 27 4689 January 30, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  My response to questions for anti-SJW's Mechaghostman2 1 816 October 6, 2016 at 11:02 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Good intentions -- how much do they mean to you? Edwardo Piet 92 12559 October 3, 2016 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Anti-Kudos Game Edwardo Piet 100 7375 April 19, 2016 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What Does Your Name Mean? Rhondazvous 53 5001 January 20, 2016 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan