Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Atheist Pledge of Allegiance. Your thoughts?
The Atheist Pledge of Allegiance. Your thoughts?
Hey guys, I was watching a video by The Atheist Voice concerning the pledge of allegiance being challenged in the supreme court. After watching that, I came up with my own version of the pledge, and it goes like this:

I pledge allegiance to the morals of the American Humanist Association,
and to the freedom from religious dogma, one nation in reality, indiscriminate, with equality, and knowledge for all.

If I were still in School(I graduated), this is what I would've said instead of the current one.

Do you think this is an improvement to the current pledge? Would you say it if you were still in School? If you are in school, do you think this would be a great alternative than having to say "Under God" every morning?
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: The Atheist Pledge of Allegiance. Your thoughts?
Absolutely not. I don't like the idea of chanting anything in the name of atheism.

I'm not into chanting anything in the name of patriotism or nationalism, either. I think we should do away with it all. It's very Soviet era.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
You made it sound less creepy. But little children reciting the same thing in unison every morning is still disturbing.

(January 28, 2015 at 3:10 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: I'm not into chanting anything in the name of patriotism or nationalism, either. I think we should do away with it all. It's very Soviet era.

Or very Third Reich.
Fuuuuuck that!
No pledges for me, thanks.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
no pledges for me and why a pledge on atheism anyways? i mean your just pledging to acknowledge there is no such thing as god, goblins and ghosts etc.
Atheism pledge no thank you i do the normal pledge but i just remove the word god from it and replace it with secularism.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(January 28, 2015 at 3:16 pm)dyresand Wrote: i do the normal pledge but i just remove the word god from it and replace it with secularism.

I find the pledge even without the words "under god" to be distinctly creepy and vaguely-North Korean.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(January 28, 2015 at 3:16 pm)dyresand Wrote: no pledges for me and why a pledge on atheism anyways? i mean your just pledging to acknowledge there is no such thing as god, goblins and ghosts etc.
Atheism pledge no thank you i do the normal pledge but i just remove the word god from it and replace it with secularism.

Come to think of it, it does sound kind of dumb to say a pledge to Atheism. It sounds even more discriminatory, because then that would imply we're forcing believers to pledge to non-belief. It would be a real life "God's Not Dead." Oh, the humanity!!!
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
(January 28, 2015 at 3:21 pm)IanHulett Wrote:
(January 28, 2015 at 3:16 pm)dyresand Wrote: no pledges for me and why a pledge on atheism anyways? i mean your just pledging to acknowledge there is no such thing as god, goblins and ghosts etc.

Come to think of it, it does sound kind of dumb to say a pledge to Atheism. It sounds even more discriminatory, because then that would imply we're forcing believers to pledge to non-belief. It would be a real life "God's Not Dead." Oh, the humanity!!!

The is best qoute ever on atheism - Predator the musical ="I don't believe in goblins or ghosts fucking lizard give me a break".
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I thought you just mean returning the United State's pledge of allegiance to it's pre 1950's secular text. That I would like to see, but I wouldn't want to make saying it mandatory.

An atheist pledge would be confusing because there are no universally shared atheist ideas except the definitional one: I do not have a belief in a god or gods. Humanists already have a code. I see no reason to pledge or recite it though.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random Thoughts Foxaèr 10986 260990 Yesterday at 3:48 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Thoughts on sexual services? Macoleco 25 2039 September 7, 2022 at 10:57 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Your thoughts on the validity of this? ignoramus 12 1883 April 12, 2021 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2169 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  What are your thoughts on R Kelly? rkellysucks 12 2124 July 13, 2019 at 5:36 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Thoughts and not prayers. Gawdzilla Sama 52 5444 January 30, 2019 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Inspired rather than random thoughts tackattack 20 1904 November 24, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Thoughts on NDE's. purplepurpose 8 1110 November 9, 2018 at 3:34 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  A thought on thoughts KevinM1 6 1143 September 19, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  What are your thoughts on corporate run media? GODZILLA 3 812 July 8, 2018 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: AFTT47