Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A thought on thoughts
A thought on thoughts
This feels like the natural conclusion to today's trend Devil
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
RE: A thought on thoughts
Sorry, lost in neurotransmission.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Tongue
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
Does everyone here think in speech? Like a narrating inner monologue?

I’ve heard some people say that they don’t. They claim their inner landscape is silent (speech wise) and they process through images and feelings alone. I find that interesting.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
(September 18, 2018 at 7:35 pm)Bob Kelso Wrote: Does everyone here think in speech? Like a narrating inner monologue?

I’ve heard some people say that they don’t. They claim their inner landscape is silent (speech wise) and they process through images and feelings alone. I find that interesting.

In general, yes, I do. But there are times, such as when I'm working through some physical or mathematical problem, that I just see the symbols and mentally manipulate them. I guess that that is some sort of "inner monologue" but it doesn't really seem like it (in terms of it being in the English language). I've also noticed that when I'm working a problem like that and have a radio playing in the background, I don't notice that it is even playing until I've reached a solution. Until that time, I am completely oblivious to what is going on around me. When I was still working, I could do the same thing while designing something.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
My thoughts lead me to thoughts which keep me awake at night. My thoughts also allow me to make a living during the daytime.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

When I did math when I was younger, it was without any explicit thinking. One step would just follow the next like something physical.

I'm told that people without language still imagine God, so I imagine it's more common than not. It's a valid question whether we think in words or instead in some sort of mentalese. I suspect more the latter, except when we're mentally rehearsing for some future encounter, and then it's still like math, we fumble towards our thoughts without prior deliberation. We may at times think verbally, but verbalism itself isn't visible; it's as intuitive and unbidden as anything else silent. We're forced to simply depend on our ability to form good thoughts based on talent and intelligence. We can't "think our way" to good thinking.

Things like this always make me wonder what the thought process of people who don't manage to think successfully is like and if it differs any from that of more successful thinking from the perspective of the thinker. We urge people to become critical thinkers, but what do we do if our ability to think about our thinking is defective? How do we figure out that it is defective in the first place? I think the conventional answer is to depend upon external validation of our ability to think, but is someone who doesn't think well going to appeal to that rather than internal evidence, such as their beliefs about how successful they have been in the past, which are themselves based on faulty information? I guess I'm wondering if you can fix stupid. Probably a futile goal, but worth considering.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random Thoughts Foxaèr 10968 248481 4 hours ago
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 799 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Thoughts on sexual services? Macoleco 25 2035 September 7, 2022 at 10:57 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Your thoughts on the validity of this? ignoramus 12 1867 April 12, 2021 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2151 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  [Serious] A thought experiment... Gawdzilla Sama 12 969 October 22, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What are your thoughts on R Kelly? rkellysucks 12 2111 July 13, 2019 at 5:36 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Thoughts and not prayers. Gawdzilla Sama 52 5421 January 30, 2019 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Inspired rather than random thoughts tackattack 20 1891 November 24, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Thoughts on NDE's. purplepurpose 8 1099 November 9, 2018 at 3:34 am
Last Post: purplepurpose