Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Pew Poll...
Interesting Pew Poll...
http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/01/29/pu...d-society/

This poll by the Pew Research Center fleshes out the difference in opinion between the American public and scientists from the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Pretty interesting results.

[Image: PI_2015-01-29_science-and-society-00-01.png]

Quote:The key data:

-A majority of the general public (57%) says that genetically modified (GM) foods are generally unsafe to eat, while 37% says such foods are safe; by contrast, 88% of AAAS scientists say GM foods are generally safe. The gap between citizens and scientists in seeing GM foods as safe is 51 percentage points. This is the largest opinion difference between the public and scientists.

-Citizens are closely divided over animal research: 47% favor and 50% oppose the use of animals in scientific research.1 By contrast, an overwhelming majority of scientists (89%) favor animal research. The difference in the share favoring such research is 42 percentage points.

-In some areas, like energy, the differences between the groups do not follow a single direction — they can vary depending on the specific issue. For example, 52% of citizens favor allowing more offshore drilling, while fewer AAAS scientists (32%), by comparison, favor increased drilling. The gap in support of offshore drilling is 20 percentage points. But when it comes to nuclear power, the gap runs in the opposite direction. Forty-five percent of citizens favor building more nuclear power plants, while 65% of AAAS scientists favor this idea.

-The only one of 13 issues compared where the differences between the two groups are especially modest is the space station. Fully 64% of the public and 68% of AAAS scientists say that the space station has been a good investment for the country; a difference of four percentage points.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: Interesting Pew Poll...
It's sad how effective appeals to emotion are when practiced on the American public. This only underlines the desperate need for critical thinking classes at the junior high and high school levels ... but it will never happen, because such an education is not needed for a worker in the oligarchy we've become.

I'm not surprised. You have to filter through too much garbage just to find the facts to make an educated opinion.

Holy fuck the article is long. This is going to take a while.
Wait. 65% agree with evolution?

That means that only 35% at most are fucking morons.

Better than I would have hoped.
I'm not sure, they may mean that we have evolved a bit since Adam. Like, we live less than 4 billions years now. I doubt they even understood the question :p
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I wouldn't be so optimistic either. They may believe in evolution, but who's to say they don't believe gawd did it?

But hey, at least they don't deny it completely. It's a start.
I wonder how many evolved into an alien while answering the question.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I'm surprised that the AAS only had a 98% for humans evolving over time.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(January 30, 2015 at 10:36 am)Faith No More Wrote: I'm surprised that the AAS only had a 98% for humans evolving over time.

I'm not, but I'll bet money that the 2% of AAS aren't biologist.
"I was shocked, SHOCKED!, to find out fully 1/2 of the US population is of below average intelligence!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Global warming: Are we doomed? A poll. Angrboda 266 16840 December 1, 2021 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  This Is An Interesting Admission Minimalist 3 1005 June 6, 2016 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Interesting Find in Israel Minimalist 6 1424 November 25, 2015 at 10:11 pm
  Interesting archaeological find in Turkey Minimalist 15 2665 October 14, 2015 at 11:25 pm
  Interesting video Minimalist 8 1744 January 26, 2015 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Interesting but.... Minimalist 4 1113 December 5, 2013 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Interesting Paper Minimalist 0 650 August 18, 2013 at 2:00 pm
  Interesting Development Minimalist 20 4452 June 22, 2013 at 2:36 pm
  Post Interesting Educational Videos Here Adjusted Sanity 6 3434 June 12, 2012 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: Rayaan
  Interesting article on the science of belief Epimethean 1 1481 July 1, 2011 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Justtristo