Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 5:33 am

Poll: Will the majority of the earth be hostile to human habitation within 100 years?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
60.53%
23 60.53%
No.
18.42%
7 18.42%
I don't know enough to venture an opinion.
18.42%
7 18.42%
Other (specify)
2.63%
1 2.63%
Total 38 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Global warming: Are we doomed? A poll.
Global warming: Are we doomed? A poll.
By most models, we are or will soon pass the point at which we can't contain global warming and it will become a largely runaway process.

If that happens, it could make the majority of the earth hostile to humans in a relatively short timespan.

Do you think this will happen within 100 years? Yes or no.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: Global warming: Are we doomed? A poll.
As long as the schmucks of the world keep breeding and making billions of little consumers - we' re screwed as a race.

The race would be far better off numbering in the low millions.....
I don't know how long it's going to take but there's no doubt in my mind that things are changing.

The Pacific Northwest is in the midst of a heat wave...IIRC they had one last year too. Well beyond what they are used to or prepared for.

When we moved to North Texas in 2006 we had actual winters...I think the last couple snowfalls we had I could have gathered in a tablespoon. Except for the storm we got in February - well past snow season here - the whole damn state had to shut down. It was COLD...for days. Killed my favorite flowering tree it was so cold for so long.

Also, when we moved here, humidity was a rare, rare thing and we were happy about that after sweltering in SC for years. Now, it's common that the air is so damp it's like a sauna.

My sister and niece are on the west side of Chicago and were narrowly missed by the tornado last week...they are usually worrying about how we are doing with that sort of weather.

I also notice less wind here. When we moved here we joked about how a 30 mph wind was referred to as a breeze and there was always a breeze...now, not so much. Things are definitely changing.

I would assume it's going to keep changing and will pick up speed in those changes...people are going to be hard-pressed to keep up. Buildings and HVAC systems aren't built for these new extremes that are becoming the norm.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Yes. It will happen. I don't think the human population of Earth will change its ways. As for "in the next 100 years," idk. Not that savvy on climate models. My judgment is based sheerly on an assessment of human nature and what things capitalism tends to prioritize.

Invest in non-coastal real estate, y'all. Especially in the mountains.
No way man, you -live- in the mountains, and you buy up all that distressed coastal for fishing and tidal rights. Wink

-probably be a market for rubble, soon, too.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 28, 2021 at 11:48 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: Invest in non-coastal real estate, y'all. Especially in the mountains.

Based on the precipitation models, which are considered less accurate than the temperature models, you are going to better off with high latitudes than high elevations. Think mid Canada or Russia. 80 years from now the Rocky Mountains are going to be dry along with most of the western US, Mexico, the Amazon basin, the Mediterranean area, and the Middle East are probably in for a lot less precipitation than they get now.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
We?

Me, no my doom will come sooner.

My son, maybe but not likely.

The human race, no clue but it don't look good from here.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 28, 2021 at 11:07 am)Angrboda Wrote: By most models, we are or will soon pass the point at which we can't contain global warming and it will become a largely runaway process.

If that happens, it could make the majority of the earth hostile to humans in a relatively short timespan.

Do you think this will happen within 100 years?  Yes or no.

My understanding is that the biggest short term threat to global warming is nuclear war. More weather extremes are increasing, and that will disrupt more crops, resources, housing and transportation. The more humans get stressed out by climate disasters, the more they will infight, and fight other nations. 

Humans have been past capacity for probably a century. The planet's birthrate always exceeds the death rate. And as such that increases the pace of consumption of resources, and especially fossil fuels. I cant say if humans will get a grip on this threat, but I can say, if there were to be a nuclear war, just let me know where a ground zero is, because I don't want to live in the aftermath. 

I only hope if my species gets to that end, I am long gone. 

But this planet is a tough nut. Even if we went extinct tomorrow, this planet will be around long after we go extinct, and it is very likely other life will survive our species. But regardless, billions of years from now, the sun will expand and if earth isn't destroyed by an meteor or comet, the sun will expand and fry all life on earth. 

I do hope however, we can delay the inevitable short term. I don't know if we will though.
Quote:As long as the schmucks of the world keep breeding and making billions of little consumers - we' re screwed as a race.

The race would be far better off numbering in the low millions....
Reducing  the population will not fix climate change
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

The more I look at it, we either have timespan too short to actually get the drastic changes made that we need to keep global warming from the point of no return, or we’ve already passed it. And, either way, one of the biggest emitters (my own country) has a major party that refuses to do anything about it because it turns out that to be a Republican politician you need such a low time horizon that you’ve likely failed the Marshmallow test ; doesn’t even believe that anything is wrong; and, if they do acknowledge a problem and try for a solution, it’s asking people in low-lying areas due to be flooded to sell their homes, presumably to Aquaman.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interesting Pew Poll... SteelCurtain 16 3405 January 30, 2015 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Norman Humann
  Global warming, facts pls Natachan 31 4483 August 13, 2014 at 1:06 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  This is What Global Warming Looks Like Minimalist 62 20481 August 30, 2012 at 1:46 am
Last Post: ib.me.ub
  Global dimming and warming. Ace Otana 43 14415 August 14, 2012 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger