Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skeptics: is there a such thing as too much questioning?
Skeptics: is there a such thing as too much questioning?
I'm the type of person whom, if given the time and resources, would question even the most sound theories, and try to replicate the experiments and try to prove the previous results wrong. I'm told by other skeptics to question everyrthing, but is there a such thing as too much questioning? Thanks a bunch.
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: Skeptics: is there a such thing as too much questioning?
You should familiarize yourself with how Descartes died.
Sounds like you're...

just asking questions...
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Short answer. No.
Don't be redundant. Things like 2+2=4 have been demonstrated as accurate to my satisfaction.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I think there's nothing wrong with it at all. My only concern would be spending so much time doing it that it imposes on other important things. Other than that, questioning everything is a really good thing to do. I'm sure that you'll learn a lot in the process, such as why a theory is so well established, and how it stands up to enquiry. And you never know, you might make a great discovery Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
No. Hyperskepticism is annoying. I've had people tell me that they quit being atheists because they have to be skeptical of atheism as well.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(February 24, 2015 at 3:37 pm)Dystopia Wrote: No. Hyperskepticism is annoying. I've had people tell me that they quit being atheists because they have to be skeptical of atheism as well.

Well I refuse to be hyperskeptic. I would ask questions to learn things, not because I want to be right. That's why I would question even the most sound theories, and try to prove them wrong. For me, it's not about being stubborn. It's about trying to take advantage of what I've learned about the scientific method, and see if I can contribute to science and make new discoveries. Smile

(February 24, 2015 at 2:36 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Don't be redundant. Things like 2+2=4 have been demonstrated as accurate to my satisfaction.

I've already did all my questioning as far as math is concerned in math class. I've tried proving this stuff wrong many times, needless to say, I've always failed at doing so. 2+2 always came to 4, 9x9 always came to 81, 20+123 always came to 143. So, yeah. That's kind of tough to prove wrong. Tiger
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
(February 24, 2015 at 2:22 pm)IanHulett Wrote: I'm the type of person whom, if given the time and resources, would question even the most sound theories, and try to replicate the experiments and try to prove the previous results wrong. I'm told by other skeptics to question everyrthing, but is there a such thing as too much questioning? Thanks a bunch.
Why?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Of course there such a thing as too much questioning. To question established facts (Earth's atmosphere is largely composed of nitrogen and oxygen, lead is heaver than carbon, Tim Minchin is a fucking genius) isn't skepticism, but pointless contrarianism.

The whole point of being skeptical is to get at an approximation of truth. When you question too much, you're simply eschewing the truth in favour of the constant repetition of 'I refuse to accept that.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think historical accuracy matters much in modern entertainment Woah0 30 1657 September 20, 2022 at 1:05 am
Last Post: Woah0
  The best thing about ____________ ( fill in blank) onlinebiker 3 306 March 13, 2022 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How much do you weigh? Foxaèr 39 2333 November 30, 2021 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  It' s never too late to start onlinebiker 2 404 October 18, 2021 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Spooky
  I just found the coolest thing on the planet The Valkyrie 5 554 July 14, 2021 at 7:08 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  One thing I hate about the human language. Brian37 13 1113 June 25, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1107 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  The good thing about being forgetful and bills.... Brian37 13 685 July 25, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!! Gawdzilla Sama 8 789 March 24, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Strangers are people too Godscreated 12 945 December 20, 2018 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus