Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think historical accuracy matters much in modern entertainment
Do you think historical accuracy matters much in modern entertainment
Two movies to compare

Gods of Egypt 2016
Little Mermaid live action 2023 trailer Disney

So Gods of Egypt first, it bombed so not like it was that big a hit. But from studying history, ancient Egyptians seems like it was a own hybrid race thing on same level hispanics are. Brown in skin, most atleast some had pale skin but most were brown. While Nubians are more looking like the modern day Africans of Central, West and South one.

So enough of the ethnic talk from me. Point is. Movie would say, is not historically accurate

Now about Little Mermaid, a Danish fairy tale. Some say its supposed to take place in Caribbean, but some say she is described as white with blue eyes. Not read the book so have no clue.

Point is... do you think people nowadays cares that much about historical accuracy in entertainment? Or do they just want to be entertained and see if its good or not?
RE: Do you think historical accuracy matters much in modern entertainment
I’m not really concerned with historical accuracy in entertainment. Because it’s meant to be entertainment. And, quite frankly, a lot of history - apart from the high spots - is pretty bloody boring to most people.

I tend to be less forgiving when it comes to adaptations of fictional material.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Braveheart v. Rob Roy; the latter, IMO, is a much better movie!
Gods of Egypt 2016 & Little Mermaid live action 2023 are not historical movies but fantasies.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(September 17, 2022 at 5:32 am)Woah0 Wrote: Two movies to compare

Gods of Egypt 2016
Little Mermaid live action 2023 trailer Disney

So Gods of Egypt first, it bombed so not like it was that big a hit. But from studying history, ancient Egyptians seems like it was a own hybrid race thing on same level hispanics are. Brown in skin, most atleast some had pale skin but most were brown. While Nubians are more looking like the modern day Africans of Central, West and South one.

So enough of the ethnic talk from me. Point is. Movie would say, is not historically accurate

Now about Little Mermaid, a Danish fairy tale. Some say its supposed to take place in Caribbean, but some say she is described as white with blue eyes. Not read the book so have no clue.

Point is... do you think people nowadays cares that much about historical accuracy in entertainment? Or do they just want to be entertained and see if its good or not?

If you are looking for accuracy, a documentary may be a better bet than a fictionized story.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

^This.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 17, 2022 at 6:00 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I’m not really concerned with historical accuracy in entertainment. Because it’s meant to be entertainment. And, quite frankly, a lot of history - apart from the high spots - is pretty bloody boring to most people.

Boru

That being said, I for many years read only non-fiction because I could be entertained at the same time that I learned something. That's a win-win.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 17, 2022 at 6:00 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I’m not really concerned with historical accuracy in entertainment. Because it’s meant to be entertainment. And, quite frankly, a lot of history - apart from the high spots - is pretty bloody boring to most people.

Boru

I can see what you mean. Its meant to unplug your mind from reality for awhile. So i can understand what you mean. Makes me think of the Matrix movie. Humans are motivated by their violent primitive past, aka why it couldnt create the so called perfect world because humans are flawed.

Though if i were to simplify it i think acting on despair is the main reason, and not so much because humans want to be violent. But thats a massive simplification on my part
Historic accuracy is extremely hard to achieve with any depiction of mermaids.

Saying Egyptians are a hybrid race implies it is possible for there to be a non-hybrid race.  Where does one find such a non-hybrid race and how did it come to exist without hybridization?

Incidentally, if you think skin tone intermediate between those seen in caricature of Northern Europeans today and sub Saharan Africans todays is somehow a reflection of hybridization, know that Northern Europeans were still typically quite dark skinned not that long before the time when the ancient Egyptians built the pyramids.
I'm not particularly a fan of period pieces, so it wouldn't matter to me if it was or wasn't historically accurate.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is modern era comfortable, but empty? Macoleco 40 2625 January 4, 2023 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  How much do you weigh? Foxaèr 39 2393 November 30, 2021 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1114 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Parent Trap movie, do you think Lindsay Lohan does British English well in it? Sweden83 6 953 December 5, 2020 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Unhinged movie, what you think of it? Sweden83 5 462 December 3, 2020 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  South Park. What you think of Cartman? Snideon 10 570 July 10, 2020 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: mediocrates
  Super Heroes, Star Wars and Star Trek is the worst entertainment made in US history Sanau 18 1733 March 30, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Question What do you think of this new indian spiritual guru ? Megabullshit 4 823 April 13, 2019 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Megabullshit
  Let me know how much I've upset you or you don't want me here. Foxaèr 34 5942 April 28, 2018 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  How much electricity do your appliances use? Jehanne 4 487 April 17, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: vorlon13