Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is being a theist immoral in your opinion?
Is being a theist immoral in your opinion?
On bed rest while recovering from surgery, so super bored if you can't tell lol.

Anyway, as the title said, I'm curious to know from people's perspective here whether you consider it a sort of negative point against morality to believe in God. Is doing so immoral in your views? No need to get into details such as "well, it depends on what you believe about God and yadda yadda...."

...Just belief in God in and of itself. Is that an immoral thing?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Is being a theist immoral in your opinion?
(January 7, 2018 at 3:36 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: On bed rest while recovering from surgery, so super bored if you can't tell lol.

Anyway, as the title said, I'm curious to know from people's perspective here whether you consider it a sort of negative point against morality to believe in God. Is doing so immoral in your views? No need to get into details such as "well, it depends on what you believe about God and yadda yadda...."

...Just belief in God in and of itself. Is that an immoral thing?

Totally misses the point.

Our morality is not in our labels. Our ability to be cruel or compassionate are NOT in our labels. Our ability to be empathetic also not in our labels. 

Our behaviors are in our behaviors, good or bad. 

Theists CAN do good sure, I merely doubt where they think that is coming from.

An aside, hope you fully recover and get better soon.
(January 7, 2018 at 3:36 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: ...Just belief in God in and of itself. Is that an immoral thing?

Nope, but the OP Q was whether or not being a theist was an immoral thing.  The answer that that one is; yeah, probably.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
God is not real so has no influence on morality at all.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I would say that the belief in a god itself isn't immoral at all, just a belief that isn't factually justified.

The problem comes when you start applying morals that originated thousands of years ago, and may not have even been exceptionally great morals then.

When it leads to for instance persecution of gay and trans people and unhealthy sexual repression, I don't believe it's moral to perpetuate such ideas.
Recover Well.

No. And even theism/atheism did influence morality: a belief or lack thereoff is a matter of conviction, not choice. It being out of your control therefore makes The belief or lack thereof itself impossible of being The thing that makes that hypothetical and non-existant difference possible.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
Not inherently, no. Not at all.

I do think it's immoral to impose your morals on others, though. That goes both ways. This is a sin committed by people on both sides of this fence.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
Being a theist is not immoral. It is simply a label

However, using theism to justify bad actions is immoral

There is nothing immoral inherent in believing in a god.

I would consider a few of the actions or beliefs that come packaged with certain religions immoral, however.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Asking your opinion Foxaèr 11 540 November 23, 2020 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Covers that are (in your opinion) better than the origionals Theswordismyleopard 15 711 August 30, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Covers that are (in your opinion) better than the origionals Theswordismyleopard 0 182 August 29, 2020 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Theswordismyleopard
  An Opinion Grows In Brooklyn OP ED Brian37 0 259 August 30, 2019 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Proof I'm immoral. Gawdzilla Sama 12 1378 September 3, 2018 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Proof that I’m immoral The Valkyrie 8 762 September 3, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What's your most favorite thing about being Single/Married? ErGingerbreadMandude 91 11436 January 31, 2017 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  sharing a room/flat with a theist mcolafson 5 579 September 1, 2016 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Jesster
  The "strike" and my personal opinion Foxaèr 36 5172 April 16, 2015 at 2:27 am
Last Post: DeadChannel
  Put on a happy face, atheist vs atheist vs theist. Brian37 0 746 March 23, 2015 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37