Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do we put up with this? Drug/adds OP ED
Why do we put up with this? Drug/adds OP ED
Again, I am NOT against the private sector, but far too much of the laws we have befit the top at the risk of the rest of society.

I constantly hear, not just with human medicine but pet products, the disclaimers of all the possible side effects. And some of them depending on product disclaim very dangerous even deadly side effects? Why is it OK for these companies to get away with this shit? Get it out first, worry about lawsuits later? 

Just like cars with defective parts, why is the chase for the buck more important than getting it right before you sell the product? It always ends up costing the consumer and company more in health and injury and courts. 

I hate the right wing always screaming "COMMIE" just becuase you suggest putting out a safer product.
RE: Why do we put up with this? Drug/adds OP ED
Would you say the same thing about chemo?  That they should have stopped administering it, because of the side effects, until a safer treatment came along?  Roughly speaking...all treatments and medications have associated risks (there's a small but statistically present possibility that taking aspirin for chronic headache will kill you....), treatment is an issue of managing both the risks of your ailment -and- any risks associated with it's management.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Don't look now but your ignorance is showing............again.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 19, 2017 at 8:52 am)Khemikal Wrote: Would you say the same thing about chemo?  That they should have stopped administering it, because of the side effects, until a safer treatment came along?  Roughly speaking...all treatments and medications have associated risks (there's a small but statistically present possibility that taking aspirin for chronic headache will kill you....), treatment is an issue of managing both the risks of your ailment -and- any risks associated with it's management.

Not my point. I am talking about the rate and volume put out. Again, the pace of the global rush for the buck is the problem, not that there is risk taking in anything. There was risk taking getting to the moon, but that also included heavy redundancy and testing and falsification before they sent humans there. Yes even the space program has had deaths, but we see today over prescribing especially with opiods like oxycoton(sp) which we now see are leading those users to heroine when doctors stop prescribing them.

I think it is bullshit to put that crap on TV with the fine print when the viewer isn't a doctor. Those adds are not designed to help the viewer, but to sell the product to gain shareholders.

Any doctor can tell you yes, there is risk to medicine, and yes, sometimes the benefits outweigh the risk. Not my point. It is the same bullshit with guns. Nobody is arguing all guns should be banned, but to think we don't have a gun death problem because legal buyers have no record must mean we don't make enough. 

I remember when those prescription adds were not on TV and only over the counter stuff was allowed. I see this as nothing more than greed. If medicine is to be sold for altruistic reasons, then those who make those products should care about where they end up in a more selective manor, not by carpet bombing TV cable/dish/internet.
You're all over the place. "Side-effects are bad, m'kay." "I mean, advertising is bad, m'kay." "No, wait, medicine should be altruistic, m'kay." It sounds like you're just looking to bitch.

There is an inherent danger with any medicine, but fortunately, we have the FDA. It's certainly not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than just letting people walk around sick and dying because there is some risk in the medication needed to treat something.

Now, if you want to talk about corporate greed corrupting the prescription process or price gouging people who need life-saving medications, you'll have a point. Right now you're coming across as a senior citizen just looking for an excuse to complain about something.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
There's also a global push for medication to manage peoples health risks.  

In any case, I'm not sure how you'd quantify the costs to "the people" but from the standpoint of the pharma model..it looks like they make money.  It doesn't end up costing them more at all, and that's especially true if you take the dimmest, most cynical view of the model and everyone involved.  As to why they're all over TV now..well.

Quote:Direct-to-consumer (DTC) advertising is a relatively new area of prescription drug promotion. No federal law has ever banned DTC advertising. Until the mid-1980s, drug companies gave information about prescription drugs only to doctors and pharmacists. When these professionals thought it appropriate, they gave that information to their patients. However, during the 1980s, some drug companies started to give the general public more direct access to this information through DTC ads.
https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/PrescriptionDrugAdvertising/ucm071964.htm

There was a big hubbub in '83, after a pain reliever ad went direct to consumer.  Why they decided to do that invariably references a profit motive, but they're corporations...so, that's what they do.  It might be greed, but it;s fair to say it;s more than just greed (I;m prettu sure pharma researchers are intersted in both the money -and- the product and the people the product might help - for example)...and I don't know why you think that medicine is to be sold for altruistic reasons?  It's distributed free of charge for those reasons.  We arrange health systems and find ways to pay any associated costs for those reasons, but that;s not the primary motivation of pharma research and manufacturing or sale- nor could it be (almost by definition), nor would they be able to deliver the same range of products that service that global push for medication from the consumer.  

I think that a healthy level of skepticism is warranted for drug ads (or any ad, really...advertisers aren;t exactly paragons of virtue). It seems that we do take these ads with a grain of salt. I also think that we should have regulations regarding both truth in advertising in general..and truth in pharma ads specifically. Conveniently, we do.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 19, 2017 at 8:30 am)Brian37 Wrote: I hate the right wing always screaming "COMMIE" just becuase you suggest putting out a safer product.

You filthy commies and your safer products.

Angel
(April 19, 2017 at 10:07 am)Khemikal Wrote: There's also a global push for medication to manage peoples health risks.  

Hell, there are a million things we could complain about health care. "Medications don't work like magic" isn't one of them.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Well, I think that the underlying position is that they should wait until they're "more sure" before they release or advertise....and I say "more sure" because we have been putting increasingly stringent requirements on drug manufacturers (granted, it's a back and forth between industry and regulation - industry keeps innovating, regulation plays catch up).

-just occurred to me

OTOH, the way it used to be was that drugs manufacturers advertised almost exclusively to doctors.  That might sound better...doctors being informed professionals....but, uh...the relationship between doctors and pharma reps doesn't exactly instill me with confidence, lol.
I don't think you're a dirty commie.  But if you don't want drug commercials, and rushing the product to the market, I think you'd have to make the drug business government controlled.

There is a practicality to it all.  Even if the people weren't greedy, they'd still need money to recoup the costs of R&D, testing, and to fund future products.  All the while, they need the cash to pay their employees and vendors.   No matter how altruistic you may want to be, you can't escape the financials.

That being said, they could definitely stand to be a little more altruistic, but without it being run by a government, I'm not sure how you keep any altruism from being punished by the system.

The marketing is just marketing. The people can't prescribe it themselves. By putting it in the patients head, they present it to the doctor, who then tells them about the option. With the current health care system the way it is, with Docs trying to get through as many patients as possible, some pro activeness on the part of the patient is probably in their best interest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recipe: Not Sure Where to Put This ABQ505 2 280 December 10, 2021 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: ABQ505
  Emergency food help. What do you put on a BLT? Gawdzilla Sama 36 2127 July 21, 2018 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How do you people with long hair put it up? Foxaèr 32 6125 April 21, 2018 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I Was Going To Put This In Fucking Cops but It Deserves Its Own Thread Minimalist 3 1453 August 14, 2015 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Drug Policy TheMonster 60 6212 July 14, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Put on a happy face, atheist vs atheist vs theist. Brian37 0 743 March 23, 2015 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Barista put the wrong toppings on my chestnut praline latte chrissy244 19 4174 November 21, 2014 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: c172
  Alcoholics Anonymous and Drug Addiction AceBoogie 73 11818 November 4, 2014 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Put your recepies here! sven 2 870 April 29, 2014 at 9:29 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  drug stereotypes salamenfuckyou 11 2373 April 15, 2014 at 11:54 am
Last Post: paulpablo