Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 4:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Migration
Forum Migration
Hi everyone,

I mentioned back in January that I'd been considering moving the forums to the Amazon Cloud as costs were generally lower and we could more easily scale resources.

As a result of staff discussion, we have instead decided to move to Digital Ocean, which is even cheaper than Amazon Cloud and also has a (in my opinion) cleaner management interface to work with.

In addition to the move, we will be upgrading the forums to the latest version of MyBB, which will unfortunately mean a few (hopefully temporary) changes to the forum operation:

Firstly, the current theme will have to be scrapped as there isn't a version of it available which matches the new MyBB features. However I have been spending time modifying the default theme so it will resemble our current one as much as possible.

Secondly, unfortunately a number of the additional features we use are not compatible with the latest version of MyBB, so they will have to be disabled. This includes the shoutbox and possibly the kudos system. As much as I know these features are enjoyed, we may have to live without them for a while, though it is my intention to have them replaced as soon as possible.

Thirdly and finally, the server we are moving to is not as powerful as the current one, though we never used the full ability of the current one. I have estimated the resources the forum needs, so I'm hoping we won't run into any problems, but be prepared for some possible downtime.

I'm hoping to migrate the forums over this weekend at some point. The whole process may take a couple of hours, and the DNS change may take longer. See you on the other side!
RE: Forum Migration
Seriously, Tibs and staff, thanks for all the unseen work that goes on around here.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Praise be to mod!
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Thanks so much for all the hard work you do for us. I really appreciate it, and I'm sure it will all be fine Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 25, 2015 at 10:27 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Seriously, Tibs and staff, thanks for all the unseen work that goes on around here.
Indeed. It makes me feel guilty for being a regular participant but not a donor. I'll get my coat.

Walk the plank!
Sum ergo sum
I wish I could afford to donate.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Very good!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

All of the effort is much appreciated, Tibs.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
No kudos! Panic
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Send me your email for my donation, Tibs. I want a purple screenname!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forum Migration Update Tiberius 174 25421 May 12, 2015 at 12:18 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Forum Migration Issues / Bugs Tiberius 9 2417 April 17, 2015 at 9:27 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Forum Migration, Changes, and Other Stuff Tiberius 6 3160 February 27, 2012 at 4:28 am
Last Post: tackattack