Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Migration, Changes, and Other Stuff
Forum Migration, Changes, and Other Stuff
Forum Migration

Ok, so sometime over the next few weeks, I'll be migrating the forum over to our new server. This is either going to go one of two ways:

1) I'll be able to convert the database from MySQL (slow and crappy) to PostgreSQL (fast and epic), and we will slowly re-add features that are enabled by plugins (like Kudos).

2) The conversion will be an epic fail, and I'll be forced to reconfigure MySQL so it runs better.

Whilst I'm hoping the outcome will be (1), I'm not ignoring the possibility of (2) happening either.

In any case, there won't be much warning about this, other than me closing the forums down and them suddenly disappearing off the internet. DNS, the system which converts a domain name (atheistforums.org) to its IP address (213.251.175.189), takes some time to update when a site moves IP. If you don't mind waiting up to 48 hours before you can use the forums again, ignore what I'm about to tell you. If you do mind, copy this information down and keep it somewhere:

1) If you use Windows, open up C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
2) If you use Linux / Mac OS X, open up /etc/hosts (+1 for UNIX simplicity)
3) Add the following line somewhere in that file:

Code:
91.121.26.127 atheistforums.org

4) Save.

Your computer should now think that atheistforums.org is located at the IP address 91.121.26.127, rather than what any DNS server tells it.

Changes

We are always looking for ways to make the forums more attractive to our members, and so we'll be implementing a few changes after the migration. One of these changes will be the ability to change your username yourself, but we will be keeping a "trail" of all your username changes that will be publicly available on your profile, so everyone will know what you used to be called. This is so that trolls can't just change their name and confuse everybody, and also because we want you to have more control over the information you put on the site.

In that respect, we will also be creating a system which will purge all IP data from the database after a certain amount of time (probably 3 months). Currently, the forum collects all IPs from posts, and whenever a user registers / logs in. This is so that people can do security audits, and also so we can detect people with multiple accounts. However, we think that 3 months of IP data is probably enough to do this.

However... we cannot say the same thing about other external services that we use on the site. Google Analytics uses IP data to determine how many visitors came to the site, and DarwinBot will sometimes inadvertently record IP data as it logs everything in the chatroom. The chatroom is completely separate from the forums, and runs on a public IRC server that we have no control over.

Other Stuff

We are rethinking having adverts on the site in some form. It is clear that the cost of the new server requires us to raise far more money that perhaps can be taken in through donations. A few weeks ago, quite out of the blue, I was contacted by someone looking to buy the site from me and cover the costs of hosting, whilst keeping the same layout and staff team, etc. Of course, I politely refused, but we could potentially make quite a bit of money from advertising revenue, given that we get around 250,000 pageviews a month. Naturally, any adverts would be disabled from people who donated to the forum (although we might set a minimum 'subscription' fee). What do you think? Obviously in these days of ad blockers, most of you probably wouldn't be affected anyway, but it's nice to know what people's opinions are.

If you have any ideas for raising funds, or getting new members (preferably both!) then start a discussion in this thread. We're always open to change. Big Grin
RE: Forum Migration, Changes, and Other Stuff
Will 91.121.26.127/index.php do just as well as my stupid system refuses to let me change the hosts file or its permissions Angry
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(February 25, 2012 at 1:41 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Will 91.121.26.127/index.php do just as well as my stupid system refuses to let me change the hosts file or its permissions Angry

Windows 7? start notepad by holding shift and richtclicking it and selecting "run as administrator" otherwise you will indeed be blocked from editing the file. It's one of those things I feel MS has done right for a change.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(February 25, 2012 at 1:41 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Will 91.121.26.127/index.php do just as well as my stupid system refuses to let me change the hosts file or its permissions Angry

No. That will be the main server page. Also, MyBB will still have the domain "atheistforums.org" in all internal links. Like leo said, if you are an admin, you should be able to edit the file.
Even if you give your account local admin rights, you still need to elevate to edit system files like the host file.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Whether I mind is really neither here nor there;it's not as if I can actually do anything about it.' I will simply spend a bit more time on the four other forums (fora?) to which I belong. If I get really bored I might even read a book. Thinking
I wanted to comment that I appreciate all the hard work that goes on behind the scenes and Adrian's dedication to a strong community.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Staff Log - Bannings, Reports, and Other Actions Darwinian 3266 759748 April 18, 2024 at 5:10 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Staff Changes BrianSoddingBoru4 32 6313 November 23, 2020 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
Exclamation Forum Changes and Additions Fidel_Castronaut 14 6100 August 31, 2016 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Forum Migration Update Tiberius 174 25421 May 12, 2015 at 12:18 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Donation Changes Tiberius 84 9408 May 8, 2015 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Forum Migration Issues / Bugs Tiberius 9 2417 April 17, 2015 at 9:27 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Forum Migration Tiberius 54 8107 April 2, 2015 at 7:32 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Rule Changes + New Restrictions Tiberius 205 40922 November 29, 2013 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Preaching Rule Changes & Punishment Updates Tiberius 15 7370 October 25, 2012 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Reputation Changes Tiberius 2 2136 August 15, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: Violet