Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NGC 2175, in Orion
NGC 2175, in Orion
Image acquired on November 8, 2013 at the Louisville Astronomical society James Baker Center For Astronomy.  Two hours total exposure (five minute subs) at ISO 800.  Enjoy:

[Image: a_1_a_ngc2175_ps_crp_zpsmk9306om.jpg]
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: NGC 2175, in Orion
Beautiful.
[Image: dc52deee8e6b07186c04ff66a45fd204.jpg]
Nice. The diffraction spikes are much more tolerable than in the Pleiades image.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Very good
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

The diffraction spikes are so large in the M45 image because those stars are very bright and only about 400 light years away. NGC 2175 is very large and very bright, but is 6,350 light years away from us.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Consider it thoroughly enjoyed! Smile
We see awesome things like this in the universe and some people assume that a being who is capable of creating this and the entire universe is concerned where people stick their dicks and what they eat . . .

Some humans are so damned stupid.
Dying to live, living to die.
Just to give you an indication of how big this nebula really is, it is five times further away from us than M42, the great Orion Nebula, but only takes up about 1.5 Moon widths in this image, whereas the Orion nebula will not entirely fit on the sensor of my camera, but almost. That means that this nebula is at least 4 times larger than the Orion Nebula. If it was located where M42 is located, it would be far brighter and larger, and you would likely be able to see the red color visually in your telescope, and be able to see some of the stars naked eye.

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project Orion - dreaming about space exploration Fake Messiah 2 1012 March 5, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  The Cone and Fox Fur Nebula, NGC 2264 orogenicman 13 3153 May 19, 2015 at 8:02 am
Last Post: Cato
  NGC 7000, in Cygnus orogenicman 10 2059 February 5, 2015 at 5:30 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  NGC2175, The Monkey's Head Nebula, In Orion orogenicman 8 4536 November 15, 2013 at 3:11 am
Last Post: max-greece
  NGC 7822, In Cepheus orogenicman 7 1550 October 17, 2013 at 2:59 am
Last Post: orogenicman
  NGC 2683, The UFO Galaxy, in Lynx orogenicman 0 1144 February 26, 2013 at 5:00 am
  NGC 2403 Remix orogenicman 1 815 February 26, 2013 at 4:18 am
  IC 434 - The Horsehead Nebula, in Orion orogenicman 8 5604 May 31, 2012 at 4:30 pm
  Orion's Rainbow of Infrared Light thesummerqueen 0 1338 March 12, 2012 at 11:27 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen