Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NGC2175, The Monkey's Head Nebula, In Orion
NGC2175, The Monkey's Head Nebula, In Orion
[Image: a_ngc2175_histogram__lum_cmbn_clrs_flt_c...3d3a03.jpg]

This is my third attempt at processing this image. I rotated it 180 degrees because I think it looks better that way. Then I worked on bringing out more of the faint nebulosity along the upper fringes, and improving the color. As a final touch, I increased the contrast slightly. Enjoy:

Image:

24 x 300sec = 2 hours of total exposure at ISO 800

Image acquisition on November 8, 2013 at the Louisville Astronomical Society James baker Center for Astronomy, in Curby, Indiana.

NGC 2175 The Monkey's Head Nebula

The Money's Head Nebula is in reality a huge cloud of Hydrogen gas with a large open star cluster inside. It is the open star cluster that has the designation NGC 2175. The nebula's designation is Sharpless 2-252. The star cluster inside the nebula was discovered by Giovanni Batista Hodierna before 1654 and independently discovered by Bruhns. NGC 2175 is at a distance of about 6,350 light years away from Earth. The star cluster can easily be seen during the Winter months in the Constellation of Orion, but the nebula is almost invisible to visual searches by telescope.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: NGC2175, The Monkey's Head Nebula, In Orion
Cool stuff. This as a hobby or part of your work?
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
(November 14, 2013 at 8:25 pm)Owlix Wrote: Cool stuff. This as a hobby or part of your work?

More than a hobby. Less that work. I'm a board member of the Louisville Astronomical Society.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Good to see you still sharing these things with us. Thank you, orogenicman Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(November 14, 2013 at 11:31 pm)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote: Good to see you still sharing these things with us. Thank you, orogenicman Smile

Thanks. Okay, just for you here's a different view, rotated and cropped. Can you see the monkey head?

[Image: d10682cf-b028-48e5-9546-0e6d71c6edc2_zps529aefd0.jpg]

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Awesome work.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
I'm thinking your camera and telescope are probably a bit better than mine.

Amazing stuff - thanks.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
(November 15, 2013 at 1:59 am)max-greece Wrote: I'm thinking your camera and telescope are probably a bit better than mine.

Amazing stuff - thanks.

It definitely is not one of these:

[Image: kodak-1101.jpg]

I have a Hutech-modified Canon T1i (modified for astrophotography).

Here is my rig:

[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...alNumber=2]

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Sadly I can't see your rig - but its nice to see you captured mine.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project Orion - dreaming about space exploration Fake Messiah 2 1012 March 5, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  The Cone and Fox Fur Nebula, NGC 2264 orogenicman 13 3153 May 19, 2015 at 8:02 am
Last Post: Cato
  NGC 2175, in Orion orogenicman 7 997 March 31, 2015 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Messier 20, the Trifid Nebula orogenicman 4 1291 February 15, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  IC-5070, The Pelican Nebula, In Cygnus orogenicman 9 3193 September 25, 2013 at 6:34 pm
  Messier 20, The Trifid Nebula, In Sagittarius orogenicman 6 2672 June 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  IC 405, AE Aurigae and the Flaming Star Nebula, In Auriga orogenicman 3 1853 March 14, 2013 at 6:54 am
  Remix of Messier 8 Core, The Lagoon Nebula orogenicman 2 1439 March 13, 2013 at 11:01 am
  IC 1805, A Portion Of The Heart Nebula, In Cassiopeia orogenicman 14 4982 March 7, 2013 at 8:32 pm
  Messier 8, The Lagoon Nebula orogenicman 3 2312 December 7, 2012 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Annik