Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cone and Fox Fur Nebula, NGC 2264
The Cone and Fox Fur Nebula, NGC 2264
The Cone and Fox Fur Nebula, NGC 2264 in Monoceros
35 300-second exposures - total exposure time 2 hours, 55 minutes, at ISO 800
Images taken November 22, 2014 at Joe Kurz wildlife Management Area, Central Georgia.

Enjoy,

[Image: 7fc4e998-8c0d-40df-b819-217cd28b7cb9_zpspuvt3ixt.jpg]

Here is a cropped and rotated version:

[Image: d637e1fb-922a-4880-ab3e-22d490a510a0_zpsyne9eynv.jpg]
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: The Cone and Fox Fur Nebula, NGC 2264
Magnificent.

And just think....we don't need any stupid-assed god to get it.
The DSLR god is angry at that comment, Min.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I really wish there was an accessible, physical way to understand the sizes of these things.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Two other objects are within this designation but not officially included:
Snowflake Cluster
and the Fox Fur Nebula

All of the objects are located in the Monoceros constellation and are located about 800 parsecs or 2600 light-years from Earth.

The field of view of my imaging set up is FOV= 50.7 x 76.1 arcmin, so with 1,000mm focal length, the object fills my field of view.  What this means is that at this distance, the object is very big.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(May 18, 2015 at 12:07 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: The DSLR god is angry at that comment, Min.

The All-Seeing Lens?
(May 18, 2015 at 12:07 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I really wish there was an accessible, physical way to understand the sizes of these things.

You got me curious. Not sure this will help.

The Cone Nebula is just the brighter part of the entire nebula and is estimated at 40 l.y. across (the entire emission nebula is about 190 l.y. across). This means that just the Cone Nebula is 9.5 times longer across than it is from the Earth to Proxima Centauri. Put another way it is 2.5 million times longer than the distance between the sun and the Earth. If my calculation is correct the Cone Nebula is 232,000,000,000,000 miles across.
To give you a relative size of this fov of my telescope, I can just barley get the entire Orion nebula (M42) in my field of view at prime focus, and it is 1,500 light years away. The same is true of the cone/foxfur nebula, that is, I can just get it in my field of view, even though it is 1,100 light years further away than the Orion nebula is.

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Another comparison (although it just shifts the issue from unfathomable sizes to unfathomable quantities): if my calculations are correct, in a 40 light-year by 40 light-year by 40 light-year cube of space, one could tile - equator to equator and pole to pole - 43,500,000 moles of Earths.

Unrelated to anything except calculating large numbers, my favorite statistic of all time:

1) The main source of silk is the larva of Bombyx mori, the domesticated silkworm.
2) 10,000,000,000 (ten billion) pounds of silkworm cocoons are harvested a year.
3) 2,000 to 3,000 cocoons are needed to make a pound. Thus, the annual harvest is approximately 2.5 trillion cocoons.
4) Each cocoon consists of a strand of silk 300 to 900 meters long. If we average, that's 1,500,000,000,000,000 1.5 quadrillion meters of silk each year.
5) A light-year is 9,460,700,000,000,000 meters.

This means that silk worms produce .159 light-years of silk each year, or a light-year of silk every 6.31 years.
5)
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
According to DeepSky Stacker, the uncropped image (the first one) contains 5,546 stars. If each star has 4 planets, there would be 22,184 planets in that image.

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NGC 2175, in Orion orogenicman 7 996 March 31, 2015 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Messier 20, the Trifid Nebula orogenicman 4 1287 February 15, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  NGC 7000, in Cygnus orogenicman 10 2059 February 5, 2015 at 5:30 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  NGC2175, The Monkey's Head Nebula, In Orion orogenicman 8 4536 November 15, 2013 at 3:11 am
Last Post: max-greece
  NGC 7822, In Cepheus orogenicman 7 1550 October 17, 2013 at 2:59 am
  IC-5070, The Pelican Nebula, In Cygnus orogenicman 9 3191 September 25, 2013 at 6:34 pm
  Messier 20, The Trifid Nebula, In Sagittarius orogenicman 6 2672 June 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  IC 405, AE Aurigae and the Flaming Star Nebula, In Auriga orogenicman 3 1851 March 14, 2013 at 6:54 am
  Remix of Messier 8 Core, The Lagoon Nebula orogenicman 2 1434 March 13, 2013 at 11:01 am
  IC 1805, A Portion Of The Heart Nebula, In Cassiopeia orogenicman 14 4981 March 7, 2013 at 8:32 pm