Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Matter and the spiritual realm
Dark Matter and the spiritual realm
I was watching a program about cosmology with my spiritualist wife when the program mentioned that there was matter that we cant see or interact with that accounted for 90% (I think it said) of the mass of the universe.
My wife suddenly became quite excited, and said 'couldnt that matter be the spirit realm' and more or less dared me to prove somehow that it wasn't.
A heated discussion ensued that ended with her being less than convinced that I was right.

Help.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Dark Matter and the spiritual realm
If she wants to claim that dark matter is the spirit realm (whatever that is) then she will notice pretty soon that that realm will get smaller as our measuring and detection methods improve over time. It's just a variation of " god of the gaps" argument.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Dark matter is a place holder used to explain the behaviour of rotating galaxies and may not actually exist at all. As for it being a realm, then it's no more a realm than a cloud of gas and dust is.

Although I could be wrong Smile
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(March 27, 2010 at 12:21 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Dark matter is a place holder used to explain the behaviour of rotating galaxies and may not actually exist at all. As for it being a realm, then it's no more a realm than a cloud of gas and dust is.

Although I could be wrong Smile

Dark matter reminds me of the old, superseded concept of 'ester' or 'ether' that was said to be the medium that light travels through.
I thought the "spirit realm" was non material.

So how can it be composed of dark matter?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
lol, Zen, seems sound to me.

I've always tried to percieve of what dark matter could be...

and is it matter?
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
(March 27, 2010 at 10:44 am)leo-rcc Wrote: If she wants to claim that dark matter is the spirit realm (whatever that is) then she will notice pretty soon that that realm will get smaller as our measuring and detection methods improve over time. It's just a variation of " god of the gaps" argument.

I thought of using the god of the gaps argument.
But in the end went the argument from ignorance route which, unfortunately seemed to give her enough of a chink to sit back and look smug.
(March 27, 2010 at 10:36 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: I thought the "spirit realm" was non material.

So how can it be composed of dark matter?

So how do you know Dark matter is material, no one knows what it is.
Maybe souls have a mass and this is what ii is.

By the way I dont believe this its just the way my wife was arguing.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(March 28, 2010 at 6:33 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: So how do you know Dark matter is material, no one knows what it is.
Maybe souls have a mass and this is what ii is.

Well, It's dark "matter" not dark energy so by definition it must be material.

Though admittedly it is only theoretical.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I am confused. I thought dark matter were collasped atoms, such as black holes which does interact with matter. Neutrinos don't interact with matter that much, maybe that is what they were referring to.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
For the "spirit realm" to have any relevance, it would first have to be proved that humans have an immaterial spirit. No one has proved this as yet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dark matter vs. MOND LinuxGal 3 513 August 23, 2023 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Rethinking Dark Matter/Dark energy.... Brian37 11 2462 January 26, 2018 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Origin of Matter RedSox 50 18450 June 13, 2017 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Anti-Matter at CERN chimp3 24 3318 December 21, 2016 at 7:12 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Newest super-sensitive test failed to catch a Dark Matter particle. Why? theBorg 40 5946 August 21, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  A dark bulb ErGingerbreadMandude 29 2925 July 11, 2016 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: Jake Long
  Could this explian what Dark matter and Dark energy is? Blueyedlion 49 7113 June 13, 2016 at 10:28 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Does the Law of Conservation of Matter/Energy Disallow Time Travel? Ari Sheffield 52 10575 March 24, 2016 at 5:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How are Dark Mtter and Consciousness different from Spirit? Rhondazvous 100 15996 February 12, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can Matter be Created or Destroyed? Rhondazvous 52 9529 December 12, 2015 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet