Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LHC
LHC
On Wednesday they are finally going to switch on the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.

If they do indeed find the elusive Higgs-Boson particle associated with the equally elusive Higgs field how much further will this take us to forming a theory of everything?

Will this help in anyway to substantiate string theory or will that permanently stay in the realms of philosophy?

Or, will they unwittingly create super dense Strangelets that will sink straight to the centre of the Earth and gobble it up from the inside Huh

I'll leave this here as I could go on about it all day but would love to hear the opinion of others.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: LHC
I watched a BBC documentary the other day which was led by the team at CERN. Apparently if they find the Higgs they will be well on their way to forming the theory of everything. Pretty much that is the last piece of the puzzle Big Grin

Of course, everyone knows that it will cause a black hole and kill everyone.
Then we could be all smug in the knowledge that the end of the world was entirely a human creation if we weren't too busy being sucked into the black hole at the time Dodgy
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
At least it will be a painless death. Current black hole theory states that your body gets pulled into atoms faster than your nerves can send pain message up to your brain. Pretty awesome Smile
(September 6, 2008 at 2:49 pm)Darwinian Wrote: If they do indeed find the elusive Higgs-Boson particle associated with the equally elusive Higgs field how much further will this take us to forming a theory of everything?
If they find that particle they will simply have more confirmation of the theory that predicts its existance.
I can't wait for them to fire it up. I love BIG science like this.

GO BOFFINS!
'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely? Jer 8:8
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx
I heard about it on Mock The Week.

It'll kill us all.
(September 7, 2008 at 6:42 am)Brick-top Wrote: I heard about it on Mock The Week.

It'll kill us all.

But just before they get sucked into a black hole the boffins will go "AHA!, but what about ......"

***poof!***
'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely? Jer 8:8
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx
It would be ironic if the Higgs could only be observed from within the black hole. Well at least they'd get their wish...
If the world is disintegrated in a black hole, can Revelations still come true? What if there's no world for Jesus to come back to?!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LHC rainbow universe dyresand 9 1900 October 22, 2017 at 9:32 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  First collisions at the LHC with unprecedented Energy! (Ask a particle physisicist) Alex K 385 56157 August 8, 2016 at 5:03 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Alleged Weasel heroically sacrifices himself to stop LHC Alex K 18 1644 May 6, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  LHC Weasel defense - play the exciting browser game Alex K 2 1068 May 4, 2016 at 10:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  LHC News - New particle found dyresand 0 974 July 14, 2015 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  LHC starting up again Alex K 54 7885 April 7, 2015 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Will the LHC find the 'God' Particle? CoxRox 11 4810 August 3, 2012 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  First lead-lead collisions at the LHC theVOID 11 2445 November 9, 2010 at 7:33 am
Last Post: leo-rcc