Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortion based on disability is eugenics - Here's why
Abortion based on disability is eugenics - Here's why
I've witnessed some people here supporting abortion based on disability and saying there's nothing wrong with ability-selective abortions, but I don't think that's how it works. First and foremost this isn't going to be a debate about abortion - I believe abortion is neither moral nor immoral, it's simply lacking in morality because there isn't a sentient living being. An abortion done on the basis of disability is as valid as if it was done on the basis of money, personal choice, etc. This isn't focused on the ethics of abortion but rather reasons and prejudices about disabled people. 

Here's my thought:

Abortion based on disability isn't immoral and less valid than other abortions, but the reasons for it can be immoral or bigoted - I can criticize a mother who aborts a female fetus because she believes girls are unworthy because it's a sexist misogynistic thought that motivates it - Using the same logic, abortions done because of disability are primarily done for two reasons --> (1) Because of perceived and often unfounded evidence lacking economic burdens (2) Because simply putting it "normal" people are seen as more desirable. We don't need to be politically correct about this, the reason why people abort disabled fetuses (and those are frequently aborted) is because they don't want a different kid and want a kid who fits the parameters of normality and parental expectations - It's because we believe disabled people are devoid of autonomy, both cognitive and frequently economic and dependent upon society - In short, it's because disabled people are simply less desirable than normal people.

Now why isn't this eugenics? Eugenics is basically advocating creating a better society trough the prevalence of individuals with more desirable traits. Eugenics can be legally implemented and it becomes serious like, for example, promoting reproduction of individuals with more desirable traits (like high IQ's) and forbidding reproduction of individuals with less desirable ones (like low IQ's or poor people) - The extremest form would be exterminating less desirable people. However, to promote or spouse eugenic ideas we don't need to go as far as to consciously believe some people are better - Just like we can be racist without waving an Aryan brotherhood flag, we can be homophobic and supportive of gay marriage etc there's no reason to not classify the belief that disabled fetuses have special reasons to be aborted as eugenics. It is a simple less serious form of eugenics, it is less detrimental and goes unnoticed very often but that doesn't take the title away.

Please, don't bring me the "fetuses are not individuals with personhood" - This isn't about the abortion itself, it's about expectations we have and how we perceive normal people compared to disabled ones. This is a matter of perspective, people argue that disabled people should be aborted and presumably normal people are more desirable, but I could argue that instead people with IQ's over 120 are more desirable and everyone else should be exterminated. Why is my perspective wrong and others are right? It is based exactly on the same principles.

I can understand that people abort disabled fetuses for economic reasons if they can provide proof that disabled people cost that much but in a free civilized country I believe there should be free healthcare and appropriate care for everyone so that's a non issue - The next step is asking people where do they get their ideas? Most advocating the idea are body abled and have never been on a disabled person's place. There's certainly suffering because of disabilities, but there's also people who live wonderful lives. Comments about how normal is better need to be proven with evidence, not prejudices. And even if disabled people simply were miserable living souls it's not up to anyone else to decide if their lives are worth living

I'm not stopping anyone from supporting ability selective abortions, but at least don't play the "This is not eugenics because FETUSES" and simply admit that there's an eugenic thought based on desirability. Why else would you support it? Do you have proof that disabilities cost that much money? Shouldn't the state simply fund this because it's the duty of a well concerned government? Aren't normal people also very expensive (and sometimes more) than disabled people? 

The message we send when we consider it normal to abort disabled fetuses (and we do, there's no use in lying) is that disabled people are less worth of being born and pretty much are not in the same level as normals. I repeat - I don't have anything against people advocating this stance, but simply admit the truth about eugenics and don't pretend your case is magically innocent while things like desiring a society with an IQ over 120 are completely harmful. It is not legally enforced eugenics, but it is based on eugenic thoughts to a small degree and that's undeniable.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Abortion based on disability is eugenics - Here's why
Isn't it, by the same logic, eugenics to choose a partner based on your preferences? Hell, what *isn't* eugenics? I see your point about the message it sends to disabled people when one chooses to abort a fetus with certain disabilities.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 13, 2015 at 10:25 am)Alex K Wrote: Isn't it, by the same logic, eugenics to choose a partner based on your preferences? Hell, what *isn't* eugenics?

Did you actually read the whole OP or just decided to troll a little? This has exactly zero relevance to the topic at hand. I'm talking about our perceptions on desirable and undesirable traits for individuals in our society, and not what we want as a partner because you can find pretty much all combinations of two or more partners.

I explained the most simple definition of eugenics. It is wanting a higher prevalence of individuals with traits the proposer of the idea sees as more desirable (usually ability, intelligence, strength and in the case of Hitler race) - The degree to what it is done varies a lot and so do methods.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

But what if the child at hand or well fetus i should say, quality of life is well not great.. not saying its right or wrong i am trying to stay neutral.
Also all in all abortion is a lady thing, if she want's to have a abortion for this reason as listed above and she has a partner too that want's the same
it would be their own morals at that point.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(April 13, 2015 at 10:28 am)Dystopia Wrote:
(April 13, 2015 at 10:25 am)Alex K Wrote: Isn't it, by the same logic, eugenics to choose a partner based on your preferences? Hell, what *isn't* eugenics?

Did you actually read the whole OP or just decided to troll a little? This has exactly zero relevance to the topic at hand. I'm talking about our perceptions on desirable and undesirable traits for individuals in our society, and not what we want as a partner because you can find pretty much all combinations of two or more partners.

I explained the most simple definition of eugenics. It is wanting a higher prevalence of individuals with traits the proposer of the idea sees as more desirable (usually ability, intelligence, strength and in the case of Hitler race) - The degree to what it is done varies a lot and so do methods.

Yes I read your whole OP, and I don't see that that is the point you are making. You have extended the definition of eugenics beyond the case that someone specifically wants to optimize the gene pool of a population in the long run. Once you extend your definition beyond that to things like "choosing which embryos not to abort for personal reasons", I don't see that much of a difference any more to choosing a partner according to your preferences, which is selective breeding.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(April 13, 2015 at 10:28 am)dyresand Wrote: But what if the child at hand or well fetus i should say, quality of life is well not great.. not saying its right or wrong i am trying to stay neutral.
Also all in all abortion is a lady thing, if she want's to have a abortion for this reason as listed above and she has a partner too that want's the same
it would be their own morals at that point.

I don't want people to stop advocating what they believe and if you have proof quality of life will suck you can do it if you wish - You simply don't get to say it's not motivated by eugenic thinking of what you consider to the best for people.

(April 13, 2015 at 10:30 am)Alex K Wrote:
(April 13, 2015 at 10:28 am)Dystopia Wrote: Did you actually read the whole OP or just decided to troll a little? This has exactly zero relevance to the topic at hand. I'm talking about our perceptions on desirable and undesirable traits for individuals in our society, and not what we want as a partner because you can find pretty much all combinations of two or more partners.

Yes I read your whole OP, and I don't see that that is the point you are making. You have extended the definition of eugenics beyond the case that someone knowingly wants to optimize the gene pool of a population. Once you extend your definition beyond that to "choosing which embryos not to abort for personal reasons", I don't see that much of a difference any more to choosing a partner according to your preferences, which is  selective breeding.
I don't see the connection so please explain your analogy.

I have not extended the definition anymore than racism isn't merely supremacism or white nationalism but also holding prejudices that we aren't conscious about. Selective breeding has nothing to do with the OP because even selective breeding can lead to a disabled fetus. My whole point is that aborting solely due to disability is pretty much a small form of eugenics that goes unnoticed and there's no reason to consider it is not. Do you want to actually refute the point? Do you also believe that racism (using the analogy) is merely supremacism? Do you think it's always eugenic to advocate superiority of some traits consciously or can we subconsciously believe that?

Hmm. Can you briefly state again what your definition of eugenics is?

(April 13, 2015 at 10:36 am)Alex K Wrote: Hmm. Can you briefly state again what your definition of eugenics is?

Can't you read it again?

It's an ideology or idea that seeks to create a better society trough the prevalence or majority of individuals with more desirable traits in detriment of individuals with less desirable traits. Eugenics ("real" eugenics) is advocating this consciously - But you can still hold subconscious prejudices if you think having "normal" kids is better because they are more able (and therefore better for society and for you etc). I don't see the problem in admitting this - People hold lots of prejudices without knowing including racist, sexist, homphobic ones simply because of our upbrining. Eugenics isn't any worse, it's just a prejudice based on eugenic thoughts, not advocating the entire idea.

I think that what Alex is saying, is that selective breeding seeks to achieve the same effect, Dys.

-and having "normal" kids -is- better. That's not prejudice, it's a fucking fact :wink:
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 13, 2015 at 10:43 am)Rhythm Wrote: I think that what Alex is saying, is that selective breeding seeks to achieve the same effect, Dys.

-and having "normal" kids -is- better.  That's not prejudice, it's a fucking fact :wink:

Fine, but I wasn't (and I'm not) arguing that you can't want normal kids, I just personally dislike when people claim it's not eugenics - I.e. Seeking more desirable traits - And I'm not saying it has to be bad on all cases because even something so horrible can be good if its effects are minimized. 

How exactly do we do selective breeding? Do you search for someone with high intelligence just to have smart kids? Do you search for blond women just to have kids with lighter hair? Would you refuse to breed with someone with an IQ over 120? Most relationships happen because people feel like it's right or due to social pressure but few think about selective breeding.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What testing do science based facts get through to be validated? I believe in Harry Potter 27 2790 November 15, 2019 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  The New Kilogram Is Here! The New Kilogram Is Here!! BrianSoddingBoru4 15 1270 May 21, 2019 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4