Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 18, 2024, 11:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What testing do science based facts get through to be validated?
What testing do science based facts get through to be validated?
A common question i get from theists is whether or not these information i present them can be manipulated by someone or something or how do we actually know that they are not an bioproduct of competition and many other factors , if science always changes and can be tested upon more tests , even testing the actual tests of the testing methods ( lol ) and things like that. So what is your counter argument for that? How can we be clear for everything we know. Talking about their methods , funding , scientists favoring certain subjects etc and taking in to account.
RE: What testing do science based facts get through to be validated?
Science never changes. Human understanding of scientific processes becomes more precise as time goes on.

A thousand years ago, not a single person on the planet had a clue to how stars were born. That did not change the science of how stars were born.
(November 13, 2019 at 8:05 pm)I believe in Harry Potter Wrote: A common question i get from theists is whether or not these information i present them can be manipulated by someone or something or how do we actually know that they are not an bioproduct of competition and many other factors , if science always changes and can be tested upon more tests , even testing the actual tests of the testing methods ( lol ) and things like that. So what is your counter argument for that? How can we be clear for everything we know. Talking about their methods , funding , scientists favoring certain subjects etc and taking in to account.

It's called the scientific method, and they should have learned it in about 4th grade. Theists are just trying to ignorant their way around/out of the argument. They evidently have no problem looking like dunces to anyone who does know this. That's called willful ignorance. People who act like that get zero of my time.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Fact are not tested.  Theories regarding facts are tested.

Thought you were leaving.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Science is not a subject, it is a way of thinking.
Scientific ideas are tested against observed facts, if the facts don't agree with the idea then the idea is modified or rejected, so we get closer to the true understanding of the way the universe works.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

It be voodoo, mon!
(November 13, 2019 at 8:05 pm)I believe in Harry Potter Wrote: A common question i get from theists is whether or not these information i present them can be manipulated by someone or something or how do we actually know that they are not an bioproduct of competition and many other factors , if science always changes and can be tested upon more tests , even testing the actual tests of the testing methods ( lol ) and things like that. So what is your counter argument for that? How can we be clear for everything we know. Talking about their methods , funding , scientists favoring certain subjects etc and taking in to account.

There's this thing called 'peer review' which, although not always perfectly applied, is a reasonably effective tool.

Suppose you're a geologist and you come up with a new theory regarding the formation of inclusions in minerals.  You do experiments which seem to support your theory.  But that's not enough - you could be understandably biased in favour of your theory.  So what you do is submit your work to a geology journal.  A panel of your peers (they'd be geologists as well) review your work and decide if it merits publication.  If it doesn't, it might be sent back to you for revision or rejected outright.  If it does get published, other geologists will attempt to replicate your work.  All of this determines whether or not your theory has merit.

It is also important to remember that all scientific knowledge, without exception, is provisional.  That's why science works the way it does - new theories are tested, older theories are revised or discarded.

Boru

edit:  Or, it could be voodoo.  Smile
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The competition is precisely why it is difficult to get away with manipulation in the long run.
Things get replicated by other people, before that happens you *should* absolutely approach new results with scepticism.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Let us start with this change aspect.

Theists see change as bad, because their god and their religious ideas are unchanging. There is a problem with this theistic concept, because it does not allow for the progression of mankind. Rather, when something is unchanging, it stays forever in the past and does not allow for growth.

Science, on the other hand, changes its understanding based on new facts that are discovered, which is the true means of progressing beyond a fixed point. Yes, science could have been wrong in the past, but it corrects itself by updating itself. Unlike religion, which cannot and will not correct itself, because of its narcissism.
(November 14, 2019 at 9:55 am)Alex K Wrote: The competition is precisely why it is difficult to get away with manipulation in the long run.
Things get replicated by other people, before that happens you *should* absolutely approach new results with scepticism.

It's a pretty poor researcher who takes the position, 'I've got this great theory that solves the n-body problem, but I'm not going to let you see it.'

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion based on disability is eugenics - Here's why Dystopia 15 2150 April 13, 2015 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  More Facts For Creatards to Choke On Minimalist 11 3911 January 17, 2015 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Facts about Darwin: psychological and mental illnesses king krish 48 7101 January 13, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Evolution Facts Mystical 168 29694 August 31, 2014 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Global warming, facts pls Natachan 31 4483 August 13, 2014 at 1:06 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Science Facts Thread Rayaan 2 1173 July 15, 2013 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7613 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  I need facts for evolution. manno 26 5940 October 4, 2012 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  CREATARDS BEWARE - THIS THREAD CONTAINS FACTS Minimalist 3 3561 July 16, 2012 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4227 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe