Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a person?
What is a person?
Although there is already a thread for "What makes a good person?" ( http://atheistforums.org/thread-2550-pag...ght=person )... I'm asking an even more fundamental, altogether different, and perhaps even more important(?) question. That being: what is a person? What must a thing be for it to be a person? Would not personality denote a person?

By being human is a thing automatically a person? But then, would not other beings (Synthetic intelligences, at least some fellow animals, etc) be people? What moral implications does the status of a thing as a person bring in regards to acting upon it? Should it be considered moral and proper to eat other people so long as they don't share our specie? So many implications, such a broad subject.

So what do you lot think? Tiger
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
RE: What is a person?
"Person" is more a term used to define someone within society. It doesn't really have any value linked to morals or sentience; it is used as a legal term.

That's my opinion, anyway.
I agree withBramble on this one. Would you like to ask what denotes the properties/ qualifications of a individual/personage/persona?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I'm always surprised at the antropomorphization of machines. My friends do it, referring to a motorcycle as a 'she', and thereby assigning it a gender, and a species. It's ludicrous, one guy called a bike 'vince' cos it had vnc in the licence no. They have 'anima', but nothing more.
I'll accept any animal as a person, so long as it asks me to. Dog
''Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.'' Robert Oppenheimer
(March 30, 2010 at 8:03 pm)RedFish Wrote: I'm always surprised at the antropomorphization of machines. My friends do it, referring to a motorcycle as a 'she', and thereby assigning it a gender, and a species. It's ludicrous, one guy called a bike 'vince' cos it had vnc in the licence no. They have 'anima', but nothing more.
I'll accept any animal as a person, so long as it asks me to. Dog

Having lived with motorcycles I know what they are on about.

Tho I refrain from giving them names.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I only name my robots, but that is pretty much mandatory.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
@ leo-rcc.. Are their names related to their function? Eg R2D2 as opposed to 'Fred'.?
I suppose in answer to the original question... The more we associate with any mechanism, organic or otherwise, the more we are going to assign it human traits, so eventually we probably will see robots as people. Animals deserve respect as themselves. Apart from moths, which are neither use nor ornament, mess your visor up and taste foul. And will walk/fly into fire. Evidence of non-intelligent design if ever there was.Devil
''Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.'' Robert Oppenheimer
(March 31, 2010 at 7:44 am)RedFish Wrote: @ leo-rcc.. Are their names related to their function? Eg R2D2 as opposed to 'Fred'.?
I suppose in answer to the original question... The more we associate with any mechanism, organic or otherwise, the more we are going to assign it human traits, so eventually we probably will see robots as people. Animals deserve respect as themselves. Apart from moths, which are neither use nor ornament, mess your visor up and taste foul. And will walk/fly into fire. Evidence of non-intelligent design if ever there was.Devil

Wait till you encounter kangaroos.

They make sheep look smart.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I agree with Bramble. A person is a living thing welcomed into society. They tend to be just humans but I guess it's possible with any life.

EvF
@red - every1 is food for someone else Smile
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6760 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Name one objectively bad person ErGingerbreadMandude 57 14891 October 16, 2017 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2044 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Would you kill the person who is about to kill? brewer 63 8164 December 10, 2015 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
Smile a bad person Sappho 30 5011 December 8, 2015 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  In regard to the rational person's choice Mohammed1212 23 6045 April 27, 2015 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: noctalla
  What makes a person bad? Losty 53 13093 December 3, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Losty
  what is a good person? shortbusgangsta3 26 9662 June 29, 2014 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  When do we cross the line from 'animal' to 'person?' TaraJo 131 44044 April 22, 2013 at 5:15 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Would someone recieving a bionic transplant still be the same person? Zone 7 2996 February 21, 2013 at 11:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger