Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral?
Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral?
I don't mean 100% neutral, but more neutral than good or bad. And if it is, does anyone know any real-life examples?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral?
(October 15, 2017 at 12:48 pm)Die Atheistin Wrote: I don't mean 100% neutral, but more neutral than good or bad. And if it is, does anyone know any real-life examples?

All I know is, my gut says maybe.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Not sure this is where you're headed, but sometimes I just don't pick up on things.

At the time it was occurring, for instance, I didn't perceive a friends bad parenting as actual criminal child/vulnerable person abuse. As time has passed, I have really regretted non-action at the time. In that case the abuse was more acts of omission than commission, but even now, making excuses for my inaction makes me feel like an accessory to what was an ongoing criminal assault.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(October 15, 2017 at 12:48 pm)Die Atheistin Wrote: I don't mean 100% neutral, but more neutral than good or bad. And if it is, does anyone know any real-life examples?

If you viewed morality as a scale, with neutrality at the middle point and good or bad proceeding from either side in incremental or quantifiable units......then, for most of us, our lives would be in a state of flux over the that middle ground...and viewing morality in such a way all but ensures that, at least sometimes, all of us would be at the morally neutral point.  

-more an artifact of a hypothetical moral calculus than a statement regarding the sum of a human life, though, imo.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Morality itself is subjective, and varies from person to person, thus I don't think anyone can be perfectly neutral in an objective sense.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(October 15, 2017 at 1:52 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: Morality itself is subjective, and varies from person to person, thus I don't think anyone can be perfectly neutral in an objective sense.

During the transition from slavery to the Civil Rights Act some Americans preached "Gradualism". The idea that it would take a long time for whites to get used to the idea that they could not own black people and blacks were their equals. This Gradualism is a form of being morally neutral.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I guess it depends on your definitions.
I'm guilty of the occasional bout of schadenfreude, too.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I think I am most comfortable living my life from a morally neutral position.  That means for me that I'm not always looking to move the moral needle.  We're free from the Great moral score keeper in the sky, and there is no reason to take up that task ourselves.  

That doesn't mean I'm for overturning the great moral lesson of our childhood - "don't be a jerk".  But if that really matters to us, we won't be.  There is no reason to go around in fear that your moral horribleness will break out at any moment unless you remain vigilant.  The other lesson we should have incorporated in childhood was "trust your self".

In my own personal experience, I suspect that the vast majority of people are more neutral than good or bad; we seek neither to help others, but, as a rule, we'd prefer to not hurt them, either (or at least not do it ourselves) unless acted upon by an outside force. Working under this assumption tends to explain so much about social psychology that makes no sense when we assume people are simply good or evil.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6685 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5391 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 950 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Name one objectively bad person ErGingerbreadMandude 57 14824 October 16, 2017 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it? Kernel Sohcahtoa 64 8316 November 9, 2016 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Has anyone seen my neutral pointer? Bunburryist 125 11574 September 20, 2016 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Would you kill the person who is about to kill? brewer 63 8161 December 10, 2015 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
Smile a bad person Sappho 30 5005 December 8, 2015 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  In regard to the rational person's choice Mohammed1212 23 6025 April 27, 2015 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: noctalla
  What makes a person bad? Losty 53 13004 December 3, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Losty