Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oklahoma governor signs bill allowing nitrogen gas executions
http://news.yahoo.com/oklahoma-governor-...EEc2VjA3Nj
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Oklahoma became the first U.S. state to approve nitrogen gas for executions under a measure Gov. Mary Fallin signed into law Friday that provides an alternative death penalty method if lethal injections aren't possible, either because of a court ruling or a drug shortage.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
RE: Oklahoma governor signs bill allowing nitrogen gas executions
My understanding is that, if you're dead-set on executing people, this is a relatively good way to do it.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
What evidence do we have that execution by nitrogen gas is painless? I have long thought that administering a general anesthetic prior to whatever was one's preferred method of dispatching the condemned, could be a humane way to perform executions. I say this as someone who has been put under with a general anesthetic twice. The only way to describe it was that it was total experiential void. Perhaps a combination of anesthetic and nitrogen gas would be a good option, until we have good evidence that nitrogen alone will reduce/eliminate suffering?
Why don't they just choke a fucker to death?
(April 17, 2015 at 9:51 pm)noctalla Wrote: What evidence do we have that execution by nitrogen gas is painless?

I had the same question, but a simple search seems to indicate that it would be painless in humans:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inert_gas_asphyxiation

(April 17, 2015 at 9:51 pm)noctalla Wrote: I have long thought that administering a general anesthetic prior to whatever was one's preferred method of dispatching the condemned, could be a humane way to perform executions. I say this as someone who has been put under with a general anesthetic twice. The only way to describe it was that it was total experiential void. ...

I have thought that, too. General anesthetic and madame guillotine would be an effective and painless combination, if used properly.

However, I do not approve of the death penalty. Too many wrongful convictions have occurred, and so it would mean killing innocent people.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Meh. My vote wasn't good enough to get executions removed in California of all places. You can't save someone who is already dead.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
I can't imagine suffocation would be pain-free.

Of course, I'm against the death penalty in almost all cases anyway.

I think that all convicted killers should be forced into a Christian "heaven" simulation 6 months before their scheduled execution. After being forced to do nothing but praise god and jesus non-stop for six months, they'll happily hop and skip to the gas chamber!
Find the cure for Fundementia!
I'd worry a lot more about a justice system which routinely finds innocent people guilty than about the method of killing them once it has.  Shit.  In most jurisdictions the cops take care of the executions without worrying about trials.
(April 18, 2015 at 1:35 am)Minimalist Wrote: I'd worry a lot more about a justice system which routinely finds innocent people guilty than about the method of killing them once it has.  Shit.  In most jurisdictions the cops take care of the executions without worrying about trials.

Min,

A justice system where detectives perform complete investigations and where police are well paid and trained to top notch standards might cost republican donors money, and hell, lets face it, haven't they suffered enough with a non-white president?
Find the cure for Fundementia!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House Bill 6720 Jehanne 19 2580 December 16, 2022 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Are executions making the US look bad? Jehanne 33 1649 May 18, 2022 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  I Think Bill Maher Lied CarveTheFive 23 1365 May 17, 2021 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Arkansas abortion bill, Roe vs. Wade brewer 23 1258 March 17, 2021 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Harriett Tubman will replace Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill Fake Messiah 141 6453 January 27, 2021 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  No more executions in California? Jehanne 0 287 March 14, 2019 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Clinton campaign declined Bill Maher's help cause he's an atheist. CapnAwesome 21 1577 September 21, 2018 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Bill Daily dead at 91 Foxaèr 1 350 September 10, 2018 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Bill Cosby Guilty! c172 139 22208 May 11, 2018 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  The Tax Bill: Pro-Life? Pro-Family?? Bullshit Minimalist 30 4149 April 14, 2018 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: John V