Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House Bill 6720
House Bill 6720
This bill will authorize the Thomas Paine Memorial Association to establish a commemorative work in the District of Columbia:

[Image: Thomas_Paine.jpg]

About time!
RE: House Bill 6720
(December 13, 2022 at 8:26 am)Jehanne Wrote: This bill will authorize the Thomas Paine Memorial Association to establish a commemorative work in the District of Columbia:

[Image: Thomas_Paine.jpg]

About time!

Delighted to hear it. It’s gratifying to learn that the US Congress has solved all of your other problems so they have time to address this vital bit of legislation.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Paine deserves to be listed among America's Founding Fathers, and, yes, Congress can do useful things at times! In addition, he doesn't come across as sitting with a corn cob stuffed up his ass in his portraits.
(December 13, 2022 at 1:17 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Thomas Paine deserves to be listed among America's Founding Fathers, and, yes, Congress can do useful things at times!  In addition, he doesn't come across as sitting with a corn cob stuffed up his ass in his portraits.

How is this useful? How does a ‘commemorative work’ make anyone’s life better? According to this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial...omas_Paine there’s already plenty of ‘commemorative works’ honouring Paine.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 13, 2022 at 1:39 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 13, 2022 at 1:17 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Thomas Paine deserves to be listed among America's Founding Fathers, and, yes, Congress can do useful things at times!  In addition, he doesn't come across as sitting with a corn cob stuffed up his ass in his portraits.

How is this useful? How does a ‘commemorative work’ make anyone’s life better? According to this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial...omas_Paine there’s already plenty of ‘commemorative works’ honouring Paine.

Boru

President Theodore Roosevelt referred to Tom Paine as being a "Filthy Little Atheist", and so, the proposed memorial does justice to rehabilitating Mr. Paine's image as a Founding Father of our Republic. In addition, Tom Paine was basically forced into exile, and after death, was buried in an unmarked grave, and so, the memorial will provide a prominent site of posthumous remembrance.
(December 13, 2022 at 2:11 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(December 13, 2022 at 1:39 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: How is this useful? How does a ‘commemorative work’ make anyone’s life better? According to this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial...omas_Paine there’s already plenty of ‘commemorative works’ honouring Paine.

Boru

President Theodore Roosevelt referred to Tom Paine as being a "Filthy Little Atheist", and so, the proposed memorial does justice to rehabilitating Mr. Paine's image as a Founding Father of our Republic.  In addition, Tom Paine was basically forced into exile, and after death, was buried in an unmarked grave, and so, the memorial will provide a prominent site of posthumous remembrance.

I'm not sure how a new memorial will do what all those others failed to do. And, as I understand it, Mr. Paine's reputation has already been rehabilitated. 

No matter. He's your country's hero, not mine. Enjoy your statue.

Boru
(December 13, 2022 at 2:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 13, 2022 at 2:11 pm)Jehanne Wrote: President Theodore Roosevelt referred to Tom Paine as being a "Filthy Little Atheist", and so, the proposed memorial does justice to rehabilitating Mr. Paine's image as a Founding Father of our Republic.  In addition, Tom Paine was basically forced into exile, and after death, was buried in an unmarked grave, and so, the memorial will provide a prominent site of posthumous remembrance.

I'm not sure how a new memorial will do what all those others failed to do. And, as I understand it, Mr. Paine's reputation has already been rehabilitated. 

Boru

He's really a hero of the entire World, coming within a few hours of being guillotined; it was during this time that he wrote his Age of Reason. His final words are a testament to all of us:

Quote:On his deathbed, his doctor asked him if he wished to accept Jesus Christ before passing. “I have no wish to believe on that subject,” Paine replied before taking his final breath.
(December 13, 2022 at 2:57 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(December 13, 2022 at 2:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I'm not sure how a new memorial will do what all those others failed to do. And, as I understand it, Mr. Paine's reputation has already been rehabilitated. 

Boru

He's really a hero of the entire World, coming within a few hours of being guillotined; it was during this time that he wrote his Age of Reason.  His final words are a testament to all of us:

Quote:On his deathbed, his doctor asked him if he wished to accept Jesus Christ before passing. “I have no wish to believe on that subject,” Paine replied before taking his final breath.

I don’t really require a lecture on Paine’s life or virtues, thanks all the same. My only objection is to a government (any government) wasting time on things like this when there are more pressing problems to be addressed.

Boru
Okay, I admit it! I admire Thomas Paine!! And, I am delighted to see a new memorial dedicated to him in our Nation's capital.

P.S. My posts are not, per se, directed at you. I am replying more to your comments and not "you" in particular.
Lol this is probably the only bipartisan bill that actually has a chance of passing the next two years
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Think Bill Maher Lied CarveTheFive 23 1319 May 17, 2021 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Arkansas abortion bill, Roe vs. Wade brewer 23 1191 March 17, 2021 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Harriett Tubman will replace Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill Fake Messiah 141 6120 January 27, 2021 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stage set for impeachment after Pence dismisses House call to invoke 25th Am. WinterHold 26 965 January 15, 2021 at 6:24 am
  Burning down the House Brian37 12 1157 December 11, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  House REpublicans Illegally Holed up in SCIF Room Divinity 21 1363 October 27, 2019 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  House Rep Elijah Cummings dead at 68 Brian37 23 2618 October 22, 2019 at 3:54 pm
  Full House of bribery. Brian37 0 265 March 13, 2019 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Bend in the road to the White House. Brian37 24 3064 February 14, 2019 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Clinton campaign declined Bill Maher's help cause he's an atheist. CapnAwesome 21 1538 September 21, 2018 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious