Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People are essentially the same
People are essentially the same
Re: "Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community?" (http://atheistforums.org/thread-30612.html)

I grew up in a time that considered males and females as completely different species, before there were many households with two bread winners. Women wore skirts and dresses, men trousers (though, in fact, high school girls could, with impunity, wear their fathers/brothers shirts, though not to school). On the other hand you'd never see a boy wear mom's of sister's blouses. (aside: I first saw Disney's "Fantatasia"  when it first came out in 1939 at at the age of 6) Well I'm getting a bit away from what I want to say.

Because of being brought up in those times I always viewed girls/women as so different I had considerable problems connecting with them.

It has taken me years to realize one sex is no different from the other (except body confirmation) in their likes, dislikes, abilities, desires, , etc. and so it should be in private and public life. I deplore the fact that women executives or any other work are, generally, not treated the same as their male counterparts.
[url=http://atheistforums.org/thread-30612.html][/url]

Having said that I also recognize there are some elemental differences in mental make up, how they see different aspects of life from those of men. Still they shouldn't be penlized in the market place or on the street for that matter. (New York City has some (No Whistle Zones) around the city.

Robert
Robert
Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.

RE: People are essentially the same
"People are decidedly unequal by almost any measure outside of How many people are you? And even then, conjoined twins are like 'Sup Losers?"
(April 20, 2015 at 4:35 pm)wallym Wrote: "People are decidedly unequal by almost any measure outside of How many people are you? And even then, conjoined twins are like 'Sup Losers?"

[Image: huh.gif]
Robert
Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.

(April 20, 2015 at 3:32 pm)Passive Atheist Wrote: ...
Having said that I also recognize there are some elemental differences in mental make up, how they see different aspects of life from those of men. Still they shouldn't be penlized in the market place or on the street for that matter. (New York City has some (No Whistle Zones) around the city.

Robert

First of all, I applaud you for the part of your post I have deleted.  But I wanted to comment on the first sentence of your last paragraph.

Men and women are in a different situation, and consequently, what they do is often different.  For one example, we can consider the example of sexual intercourse.  For a woman, she is (generally) at risk of getting pregnant, and a man is not.  That difference in situation is likely to affect the choices one is likely to make.  If someone is contemplating a one-night stand with a stranger, there are also other differences in situation to consider.  For example, a woman is more likely to contract HIV from an infected man, than a man is to contract HIV from an infected woman.  (There is a lot of the virus present in the semen of an infected man; you don't want to be on the receiving end of that, regardless of whether you are a man or woman.  Not, that is, if one wants to avoid HIV.)  Also, men are typically bigger than women, and more violent (just look at violent crime statistics for this second part).  So a woman going home with a strange man is at greater risk than a man going home with a strange woman.  Additionally, a man typically can reach orgasm easier than a woman, and so there is a great chance that the woman will not get an orgasm from the one-night stand, as the man may well be finished before she has an orgasm.  I can also add, which was especially true in the past, that there is a difference in social attitudes for men and women who have one-night stands.

If we look at the totality of that, we can see that the situation for women is much less favorable to having one-night stands, and so we might expect that more women will be disinclined to have a one-night stand than men, even if their thinking processes are identical to men's thinking processes.

To say this in another way, or, rather, the way I stated it at first, men and women are in a different situation, and consequently, what they do is often different.  You would likely act differently if you were in a different situation than the one you are in.

Also, I rather like the opening post to which you refer, and wish that individual would come back and post more.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(April 20, 2015 at 3:32 pm)Passive Atheist Wrote: New York City has some (No Whistle Zones) around the city.

We are the society of the easily offended now that we've advanced far into Political Correctness. I'm not sure these mandated observances of "sensitivity" do much to improve attitudes and behavior. But do young males really need to be told that whistling and catcalls are somewhat intimidating to the targets? Boys only whistle at the ladies they aren't going to win. They whistle at other guys, too. I kind of see where the decrement in civility makes some people want laws to curb it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1948 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong" JewishAthiest 106 25468 February 9, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheism and Anti-Theism same thing? ErGingerbreadMandude 114 17266 February 2, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Are Nonreligious Organizations Able to Provide the Same Services as Churches? Nope 22 5805 March 6, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Same sex marriage StatCrux 533 302776 January 19, 2013 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Do you have the same opinions? TarShoduze 19 4935 December 24, 2012 at 9:41 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheists same as religious extremists TeslaTrooper 65 15012 September 2, 2011 at 9:28 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko