Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Observations On Atheism Part II - God And The Bible
Observations On Atheism Part II - God And The Bible
The position of modern day Atheists on God and the Bible would be a great deal more fascinating if it were not so incredibly ridiculous. The fact that someone would not believe in the God of the Bible is one thing but to not believe in Gods - theism is nonsensical. God and the Bible actually have little to do with it.

There have always been people who chose not to worship any gods, but they knew that to deny the existence of gods was not only pointless but inaccurate. The gods existed with the people that worshipped them. To formulate a system of non-belief based upon what is perceived by the modern day Atheist as myth speaks volumes against the logical necessity of Atheism itself so it doesn't require much thought to realize a few very important things when dealing with Atheists.

1. It isn't about God and The Bible but rather it is a social / political issue, not an issue of faith or reason.

2. Though Atheists stress the importance of education they almost never want to be educated on the Bible. Any honest student of the Bible knows that God and the Bible has very little to do with organized religion and since Atheism is a class struggle its adversary is religion rather than God and the Bible. Since religion has misrepresented the Bible for nearly two thousand years, while at the same time for the most part opposing science, the Atheists battle ground is clearly - if not wrongfully drawn out.

3. In their current forms science and religion will never mix or meet. There are those in both camps that would like to see that sort of thing happen but it is only a whitewashed compromise of integrity that would only bring more discord and confusion.

4. The Bible doesn't disagree with proven science. 99% of science has nothing to do with the Bible at all, but most Atheists don’t know the Bible well enough to come to the logical conclusion that religion rather than the Bible is the issue. It is science verses religion, and Atheists verses the political Christian. Not the Bible verses science or atheists verses theists.
RE: Observations On Atheism Part II - God And The Bible
(November 23, 2008 at 1:23 pm)Daystar Wrote: The position of modern day Atheists on God and the Bible would be a great deal more fascinating if it were not so incredibly ridiculous. The fact that someone would not believe in the God of the Bible is one thing but to not believe in Gods - theism is nonsensical. God and the Bible actually have little to do with it.

There have always been people who chose not to worship any gods, but they knew that to deny the existence of gods was not only pointless but inaccurate. The gods existed with the people that worshipped them. To formulate a system of non-belief based upon what is perceived by the modern day Atheist as myth speaks volumes against the logical necessity of Atheism itself so it doesn't require much thought to realize a few very important things when dealing with Atheists.

1. It isn't about God and The Bible but rather it is a social / political issue, not an issue of faith or reason.

2. Though Atheists stress the importance of education they almost never want to be educated on the Bible. Any honest student of the Bible knows that God and the Bible has very little to do with organized religion and since Atheism is a class struggle its adversary is religion rather than God and the Bible. Since religion has misrepresented the Bible for nearly two thousand years, while at the same time for the most part opposing science, the Atheists battle ground is clearly - if not wrongfully drawn out.

3. In their current forms science and religion will never mix or meet. There are those in both camps that would like to see that sort of thing happen but it is only a whitewashed compromise of integrity that would only bring more discord and confusion.

4. The Bible doesn't disagree with proven science. 99% of science has nothing to do with the Bible at all, but most Atheists don’t know the Bible well enough to come to the logical conclusion that religion rather than the Bible is the issue. It is science verses religion, and Atheists verses the political Christian. Not the Bible verses science or atheists verses theists.
OK Mr Daystar, in what sense is atheism " social/political" and a " class struggle "?
And which side are you on?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(November 23, 2008 at 5:02 pm)bozo Wrote: OK Mr Daystar, in what sense is atheism " social/political" and a " class struggle "?

Bozo, I am presenting my observations on Atheists and Atheism from a lesser to a greater importance.

Belief, God And The Bible, Social / Political and finally - Emotional.

I have pointed out how incredibly stupid it would be to deny the existence of gods when a god can be anything or anyone, and I can only assume that Atheists are sensible enough not to formulate their beliefs and lifestyle based upon their own perception of someone elses mythology. Later I will conclude what the importance of Society and Politics and Emotional issues are regarding Atheism, but as for you - what would you say was the foundation of Atheism if not for these?

Atheists don't hate what don't exist so what do they hate? More importantly what do they really want and why?
(November 23, 2008 at 7:39 pm)Daystar Wrote:
(November 23, 2008 at 5:02 pm)bozo Wrote: OK Mr Daystar, in what sense is atheism " social/political" and a " class struggle "?

Bozo, I am presenting my observations on Atheists and Atheism from a lesser to a greater importance.

Belief, God And The Bible, Social / Political and finally - Emotional.

I have pointed out how incredibly stupid it would be to deny the existence of gods when a god can be anything or anyone, and I can only assume that Atheists are sensible enough not to formulate their beliefs and lifestyle based upon their own perception of someone elses mythology. Later I will conclude what the importance of Society and Politics and Emotional issues are regarding Atheism, but as for you - what would you say was the foundation of Atheism if not for these?

Atheists don't hate what don't exist so what do they hate? More importantly what do they really want and why?

Mr Daystar, you are very wordy. You probably have a superiority complex. You talk a lot of s...!
You made certain allegations about the nature of atheism that I have asked you to substantiate. You haven't to my satisfaction. Can you cut the crap and answer me? How is atheism about a class struggle and if it is, whose side are you on?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(November 23, 2008 at 7:58 pm)bozo Wrote: Mr Daystar, you are very wordy. You probably have a superiority complex. You talk a lot of s...!
You made certain allegations about the nature of atheism that I have asked you to substantiate. You haven't to my satisfaction. Can you cut the crap and answer me? How is atheism about a class struggle and if it is, whose side are you on?

Mr Bozo, I am not on either side. I think they are both a joke. I would like to see them destroy one another but I think they are both too stupid lame and lazy. That answer your question, buddy?
(November 23, 2008 at 8:03 pm)Daystar Wrote:
(November 23, 2008 at 7:58 pm)bozo Wrote: Mr Daystar, you are very wordy. You probably have a superiority complex. You talk a lot of s...!

Mr Bozo, I am not on either side. I think they are both a joke. I would like to see them destroy one another but I think they are both too stupid lame and lazy. That answer your question, buddy?
no
I'd like to know how atheism is a class struggle too, actually?

Further, you say you "have pointed out how incredibly stupid it would be to deny the existence of gods when a god can be anything or anyone, and I can only assume that Atheists are sensible enough not to formulate their beliefs and lifestyle based upon their own perception of someone elses mythology." First, what exactly do you mean that a god can be anyone or anything? And why is it stupid to deny the existence of gods because of that? It's not obvious to me, I hope you can explain.

As for "Atheists" (I would not give it the capital A), I don't know any that do what you claim. I don't live my life a certain way because my one friend believes in Jesus Christ as the son of God (Or at least, I perceive that he believes this) and because another friend thinks that Christ was only a Prophet. I think it's a bit hypocritical of you to prescribe atheists their beliefs, while at the same time you bemoan the way religion has misrepresented the Bible, and I get the feeling that you believe that your interpretation of the Bible is the right one.

Can you explain a bit more your position because I don't really understand the... backing for it, maybe.
(November 23, 2008 at 7:39 pm)Daystar Wrote: Atheists don't hate what don't exist so what do they hate? More importantly what do they really want and why?

People with blue eyes don't hate what doesn't exist, so what do they hate? More importantly, what do they really want and why?
Atheism as a Religion
-------------------
A man also or woman that hath a Macintosh, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with used and abandoned Windows 3.1 floppy disks: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27
(November 23, 2008 at 8:09 pm)bozo Wrote:
(November 23, 2008 at 8:03 pm)Daystar Wrote:

no

Okay. Tell me what makes more sense to you.

Once upon a time when man was trying to figure everything out they - not having thought of Ocham's Razor decided to create a god that created them in order to control people and failed to do so so it took off as a good idea that is still around today but - we who call ourselves atheists having now figured that all out and who can't stand all of the evil things that people have done with this god person and must devote our lives to liberate the theist! They are so nice.

Or

We the atheist hate this fantasy world you the theist have created and want to destroy you and your fairy tales.
(November 23, 2008 at 9:08 pm)Jason Jarred Wrote:
(November 23, 2008 at 7:39 pm)Daystar Wrote: Atheists don't hate what don't exist so what do they hate? More importantly what do they really want and why?

People with blue eyes don't hate what doesn't exist, so what do they hate? More importantly, what do they really want and why?

Oh! OH!! I KNOW! I KNOW! PICK ME! PICK ME!
(November 23, 2008 at 8:31 pm)lukec Wrote: I'd like to know how atheism is a class struggle too, actually?

What sort of struggle would you call it?

(November 23, 2008 at 8:31 pm)lukec Wrote: Further, you say you "have pointed out how incredibly stupid it would be to deny the existence of gods when a god can be anything or anyone, and I can only assume that Atheists are sensible enough not to formulate their beliefs and lifestyle based upon their own perception of someone elses mythology." First, what exactly do you mean that a god can be anyone or anything? And why is it stupid to deny the existence of gods because of that? It's not obvious to me, I hope you can explain.

In the anceint Hebrew / Aramaic / Greek Latin and more modern English languages the word god means simply anything or anyone that is mighty or venerated. So - if a guy picks up a stick and says: "This is my God!" there is no way to deny him. It is his god.

Theism is the belief in god. Atheism is the non belief in god. Which one makes sense? Neither because they don't know that which they believe or disbelieve. This means that modern day atheists and theists are as - no, actually more ignorant and superstitious than the primitive people that wrote the Bible because . . . well . . . at least they knew what the hell they were talking about, eh?

So what could be the problem between the two? A sort of xenophobic class struggle or simple legislation? You tell me? Does it make sense to be an Atheist which is really nothing more than not believing what someone else believes while at the same time not bothering to educate themselves on what that is? Tradition? Culture? Social? Political?

Education, Homosexuality, Abortion? Stem cell research? Am I getting warm.

It really is very simple. If someone believes in a fairy tale one doesn't form a group to counter it. They let them believe what they want. What would be the point in devoting one moment of your time to anything more than thinking to yourself: "I don't believe in that fairy tale" unless it were motivated by some political agenda?
(November 23, 2008 at 10:51 pm)Daystar Wrote: Okay. Tell me what makes more sense to you.

Once upon a time when man was trying to figure everything out they - not having thought of Ocham's Razor decided to create a god that created them in order to control people and failed to do so so it took off as a good idea that is still around today but - we who call ourselves atheists having now figured that all out and who can't stand all of the evil things that people have done with this god person and must devote our lives to liberate the theist! They are so nice.

Or

We the atheist hate this fantasy world you the theist have created and want to destroy you and your fairy tales.

(November 23, 2008 at 8:31 pm)lukec Wrote: I'd like to know how atheism is a class struggle too, actually?

What sort of struggle would you call it?

I don't know, actually. Not a class struggle, though, since believers and non-believers are spread out among "classes" (Although there is evidence that suggests that more educated people are less likely to believe). Myself, I've never really felt there needed to be a struggle, per se, between Atheists and Theists, although I feel that (as I've said before) the teaching of creationism (not biblical-specific, any origin myth) should be fought. Of course, it's often true that people with opposing views especially of a theological nature are bound to argue, and perhaps you could call that a struggle. But there is not, to my knowledge, an organized group of atheists (anti-theists?) who are actively struggling to "destroy" religion.

(November 23, 2008 at 10:51 pm)Daystar Wrote: In the anceint Hebrew / Aramaic / Greek Latin and more modern English languages the word god means simply anything or anyone that is mighty or venerated. So - if a guy picks up a stick and says: "This is my God!" there is no way to deny him. It is his god.

Yes. If you want to argue semantics, you're right. But in that you are implying that believed gods are real, which I feel undermines the whole point of a "God." I could say that there is a ghost following me around, and that would not make it right, that would not make it so. Maybe in my mind there is a ghost, and he's a nice guy, but for everyone else, is he real? I don't think so.

(November 23, 2008 at 10:51 pm)Daystar Wrote: Theism is the belief in god. Atheism is the non belief in god. Which one makes sense? Neither because they don't know that which they believe or disbelieve. This means that modern day atheists and theists are as - no, actually more ignorant and superstitious than the primitive people that wrote the Bible because . . . well . . . at least they knew what the hell they were talking about, eh?

Why doesn't non-belief make sense? I know what I don't believe: I do not believe in a supernatural force, being, fate, entity which guides my life or has ever interfered with the universe. Plain and simple. Now if you can explain to me why I don't know what I am talking about, on a basic level, I'd be glad to hear it.

(November 23, 2008 at 10:51 pm)Daystar Wrote: So what could be the problem between the two? A sort of xenophobic class struggle or simple legislation? You tell me? Does it make sense to be an Atheist which is really nothing more than not believing what someone else believes while at the same time not bothering to educate themselves on what that is? Tradition? Culture? Social? Political?

Education, Homosexuality, Abortion? Stem cell research? Am I getting warm.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the simple legislation bit- how would that be a problem exactly? Could you rephrase? Now, your definition of an atheist is "really nothing more than not believing what someone else believes while at the same time not bothering to educate themselves on what this is" and I strongly disagree. I do not believe in god. But, I am in the process of reading the bible, and the book of mormon, because I am actually trying to learn. Generalized statements which are not really founded in truth are a bit... useless, don't you think?
As for the other points you raise- why would an atheist care about these things? Well, for some of them I do care- important issues to me include tradition, culture, social ones (political? not really, I've never been a political-minded person.). Education, homosexuality, abortion, stem cell research... these things are all issues that I think should be important to everyone. Education- it's important that the education system improves, and stays grounded in reason, and should not be teaching "fairytales" as facts to children. Homosexuality is another hot topic, but I think in a way only because it shouldn't be. The church, or religious people who are against homosexuals, are in the wrong. They shouldn't care what people do with their own lives, that's just silly. And the bible is the root of that homophobia for many christians, I think, which is a problem. Abortion is another issue where many religious people would be on the other side of the issue from me- I think that the mother should be given the right to choose. Stem cell research? Yeah, I'm for that too, although many religious leaders are not.

(November 23, 2008 at 10:51 pm)Daystar Wrote: It really is very simple. If someone believes in a fairy tale one doesn't form a group to counter it. They let them believe what they want. What would be the point in devoting one moment of your time to anything more than thinking to yourself: "I don't believe in that fairy tale" unless it were motivated by some political agenda?

I agree. Completely. A group should not be formed. But I come on sites like this because I know that it's not only atheists on here- there're people like you who I can talk to and get a different idea. This website is not the germ of a resistence group. It, and others like it, are simply places where like-minded people can meet. Before I started looking, I felt like I was one of the few atheists around, and it was nice to have some feedback and realize that other people felt the same way I did. But I don't see it as a group, more of a discussion. I don't meet on here and plan to do anything against religion, it is only a discussion. Where is the political agenda in that?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2739 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Philosophical Failures of Christian Apologetics, Part 11: The Holy Spirit Cepheus Ace 18 2984 June 22, 2020 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3502 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25941 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Best part of atheism for you Alexmahone 43 6366 January 9, 2018 at 10:34 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27107 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism the unscientific belief (part one, two, and three) Little Rik 3049 361571 April 11, 2016 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12235 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Can You Technically Disprove the God of the Bible? Salacious B. Crumb 98 14682 May 6, 2015 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12468 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott