Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 10:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Any of You Have PCOS?
Do Any of You Have PCOS?
My youngest daughter was just diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome.  I thought that being overweight was one of the main symptoms of PCOS . I have been reading online that some women, like my daughter, with PCOS can be thin. Because I didn't expect to get that diagnosis, I am a little surprised and didn't really know what to ask the doctor. Sarah has another appointment in May so we will have an opportunity to discuss this with the doctor then. 

Do any of you have, or know someone with PCOS? What do we need to know about it?
RE: Do Any of You Have PCOS?
I had never heard of it so I read the wiki article. The German one is phrased such that it implies obesity as a preexisting condition that facilitates PCOS, not as a symptom. Considering that it is supposed to be so common, I'm surprised I've never encountered the term.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 22, 2015 at 3:19 pm)Alex K Wrote: I had never heard of it so I read the wiki article. The German one is phrased such that it implies obesity as a preexisting condition that facilitates PCOS, not as a symptom. Considering that it is supposed to be so common, I'm surprised I've never encountered the term.

I found an article on thinness and PCOS. Our next appointment won't be until May. My daughter is slightly underweight for her height so the diagnosis surprised me.  She does have very irregular, painful periods and apparently there was something irregular in her blood work. I know that they checked her hormones.  Even what I am reading is confusing me. I was hoping that someone on the forum had experience with the syndrome.

http://www.pcos.com/blog/39/thin-with-pc...%E2%80%9D/
I don't know a ton about it, but one of my friend's exes had it. She was not huge by any means. Attractively curvy maybe? At any rate, my understanding was that her main symptoms were 1) significant pain during her periods and 2) knowing that she would probably be unable to have children.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
I've read that the infertility is often treatable, and that one can try to induce ovulation medically in case it is disrupted by the syndrome.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Thank you both for answering. Until her doctor's appointment, I guess I will be doing a lot of reading about PCOS.
My roommate has it. She is overweight, but while some people around her keep validating this by saying PCOS makes it harder for her to lose weight, I rather suspect this is more to do with effort and habits than linkage to the issue.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2206 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2194 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked? Drich 120 10815 February 13, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Any of you guys experience this? (Part 2) Foxaèr 6 1702 June 18, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  If you could look like any celebrity The Industrial Atheist 30 4813 April 23, 2018 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Does Anybody Around Here Have Any Dignity? laserthought 17 1628 August 17, 2017 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Do you have any birth marks? brewer 28 2960 January 31, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If you have an android phone you should read this. #5 is the most shocking. ErGingerbreadMandude 7 1971 December 18, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Can any of you do novel things with your toes/feet? brewer 27 2640 March 7, 2016 at 4:46 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  If you could have any job in the world, what would it be? Joods 55 5020 December 7, 2015 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy