Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morality is hard wired and can be turned off
Morality is hard wired and can be turned off
Where is your god now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8593748.stm

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Morality is hard wired and can be turned off
On the same subject :

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notroc...-accident/
[Image: pPQu8.png]
The first one appears to be a viable experiment, however 20 is a small number. It also seemed less like actual morality and more interpretations of other's intent in both articles. I wish it were more all-inclusive on individual morality... but good article none-the-less. Hopefully they'll keep doing good research.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Where is your god now? I've seen one of the theists in the forums say that his deity hardwired morals into our heart. Theists could easily use this to say that their god naturally hardwired morality yet evil science will be the one to shut morality down. Nice. On the other hand, I can see this going against some theists' ideas on 'free will'.
How can science change our nature? The bible states many times that Gods law is imprinted on our hearts... I don't see how this is altered at all.
(April 3, 2010 at 11:36 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: Where is your god now? I've seen one of the theists in the forums say that his deity hardwired morals into our heart. Theists could easily use this to say that their god naturally hardwired morality yet evil science will be the one to shut morality down. Nice. On the other hand, I can see this going against some theists' ideas on 'free will'.

Well I have heard the arguement that without a god we have no model for our morals and that they are more or less baseless without a diety.

Bollocks of course.

as johnny five said when asked who told him it was wrong to kill, 'I told me'

good film short circuit.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

DBP, I'm glad you haven't got arguements like that here, truly worhtless that would be. People shouldn't get their morality from anything other than themselves, forged though society and ideals, not unchanging dogma and fear.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

(April 4, 2010 at 2:28 am)fr0d0 Wrote: How can science change our nature? The bible states many times that Gods law is imprinted on our hearts... I don't see how this is altered at all.

I thought the article explained how 'we' or 'science' could alter our own nature. what's your malfunction?
(April 4, 2010 at 9:00 am)tackattack Wrote: DBP, I'm glad you haven't got arguements like that here, truly worhtless that would be. People shouldn't get their morality from anything other than themselves, forged though society and ideals, not unchanging dogma and fear.

I think we inevitably get most of our morals from fear whether from fear of hell, fear of jail, or fear of someone's revenge... I'm not trying to disagree with you, though, because i do agree with you on the most part - there is enough reason to be moral without the dogma of hell.

side note: i was reading a psychology book once that suggested that the Bible's support of waiting 'til marriage for intercourse was a product of fear of disease. STDs, during the time, were interpreted as the Christian god's punishment for promiscuous behavior. They must have noticed that the most promiscuous were likely to get infected or 'punished' and deducted that their god frowned upon promiscuity.
same with the mosianic law of washing hands, and holy water, most likely even baptism.. frequently keeping the body purified (free from disease) is a reoccuring concept in most religions.

Morality is the bedtime story we tell our children in order to convince ourselves that the world truly is black and white. I submit to you that morality is as hollow as the "o" in God, and like such, is interpretated differently per individual as the definition behind God. What is right to someone is wrong to another. Wrong to someone is right to another.

This article, though highly informative and intriguing, makes me think merely that the changes in "morality" means only that it tampers with our basic personal opinions on what is and what isn't moral. A muslim can justify cutting the head off a child as if it is perfectly acceptable. To me, that is proof that it is Religion that alters our perception of the collective morality. The Golden Rules.

The magnet is only showing us what the religious have done for centuries. And the morals altered, are merely personal opinion in the first place. This isn't a great big white world, but grey.

That is just my input.
T H E • M U L T I V E R S E • T H E O R Y

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's Piss Off Some YECs Minimalist 3 599 August 4, 2016 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  This Will Piss Off The Religitards Minimalist 1 690 July 6, 2015 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Cato
  How to Piss-Off Creationists 101: OfficerVajardian 16 4272 August 16, 2014 at 2:25 am
Last Post: Zidneya
  More to Piss Off Creationist Morons Minimalist 20 8875 August 8, 2011 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Judas BentHer
  Just A Little Something To Piss Off Creationist Morons Minimalist 47 14279 May 6, 2011 at 4:26 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Evolution of morality OnlyNatural 34 11793 March 16, 2011 at 5:32 am
Last Post: lilphil1989
  The Times: Monkeys Have A Sense Of Morality Kyuuketsuki 6 4058 May 13, 2009 at 5:10 am
Last Post: Giff