Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, I'm happy to be here!
Rainbow 
Hi, I'm happy to be here!
Hello! Big Grin
I'm a 36yo lady, living in the hot AZ desert.
I grew up in a devout Catholic home, then in my late teens I met a cute protestant boy who introduced me to evangelical Christianity.  Various charismatic religious sales men...uh, I mean pastors eventually convinced me that I needed to be born again though Jesus to have the shit I've always wanted like never ending happiness, never ending euphoric love, all the material crap I needed and even wanted if I just begged God enough, a family of fellow believers who would always be there for me through thick and thin unconditionally and many other wonderful magical things, specially a get-out-of-Hell-free pass.

None of those promises ever came true (of course I blamed my "filthy, sinful" self for that), but none the less I marched along like a good and faithful Christian soldier, too afraid to question the good Lord and his mysterious ways.

That was until I stopped being afraid to question and decided to find answers.  I figured if God was real then the answers in his favor would be clear and obvious, including the evidence for his existence, so I should not be afraid to search.  Only, the answers in favor of God were not, and instead, like when Dorothy in Oz pulled the curtain and discovered the man behind them, my search led me to realized what an epic sham God and religion really was and is.

I've been an atheist for about one year, and I feel like a kid again as I re-discover the wonders of this world and the universe with new, rational and much more clear eyes.

I look forward to connecting with like minded people on here, and also hopefully to being intellectually challenged by those who have different ideas than mine.
"The tragedy is that every brain cell devoted to belief in the supernatural is a brain cell one cannot use to make life richer or easier or happier."
~Kay Nolte
RE: Hi, I'm happy to be here!
Awesome! I'm glad to have you here. Smile Welcome.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Welcome Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Welcome to AF!

I hope you enjoy the time you spend here, filled with controversy and nonsense.
Welcome aboard from the cold land of NZ.
Dying to live, living to die.
Welcome!

Kiwiland is cold now? Bad time for a vacay. Why am I pooping on your parade?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome. I graduated HS near PHX. I love AZ topographically, but don't miss the triple digits. Luckily, I was blissfully unaware of politics back then.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Ha!  Another Errorzonan! 

I'm telling you, we could stage a coup!
(April 30, 2015 at 8:20 pm)lunafreespirit Wrote: ...

That was until I stopped being afraid to question and decided to find answers.  I figured if God was real then the answers in his favor would be clear and obvious, including the evidence for his existence, so I should not be afraid to search.  Only, the answers in favor of God were not, and instead, like when Dorothy in Oz pulled the curtain and discovered the man behind them, my search led me to realized what an epic sham God and religion really was and is.

That was good thinking.  False religions require faith (i.e., belief without evidence).  If something is true, it holds up to careful examination.

Welcome!

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Welcome free-spirit! I think you fifth zoney here!

Congrats on seeing the light of reason.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy to be here DavidSeidman 18 2916 November 24, 2014 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Hello I am new here. I am an ex christian and here are some of my beliefs p90powa 23 6685 June 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Pandas United