Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did so many people waste their lives for religion?
Why did so many people waste their lives for religion?
If you read history then so many people have sacrificed their life for religion or a religious cause,so many people have dedicated their life for religious purposes,there have been so many mystics in every religion who were good people,so much deep stuff written about religion and God,why did they never ask the basic question that does God exist or not and were all those religious people and mystics frauds?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
― Voltaire
RE: Why did so many people waste their lives for religion?
Why do people waste their lives on any ideology? To feel protected, special and to belong to a special exclusive group. Religion adds the promise of eternal life to the mix. The fear of death is probably one of the strongest motivators.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(May 2, 2015 at 4:33 am)abaris Wrote: Why do people waste their lives on any ideology? To feel protected, special and to belong to a special exclusive group. Religion adds the promise of eternal life to the mix. The fear of death is probably one of the strongest motivators.

i know but why do so many people claim a connection with God and there is so much written about the love of God and some of the writings are very fascinating to read
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
― Voltaire
(May 2, 2015 at 4:40 am)Twisted Wrote:
(May 2, 2015 at 4:33 am)abaris Wrote: Why do people waste their lives on any ideology? To feel protected, special and to belong to a special exclusive group. Religion adds the promise of eternal life to the mix. The fear of death is probably one of the strongest motivators.

i know but why do so many people claim a connection with God and there is so much written about the love of God and some of the writings are very fascinating to read

I think the best answer is just that it's a messed up world out there.

People are willing to risk death to take a unique selfie so it's not surprising that some people die for religion. 

There's those guys in india who keep one arm raised to the point where it starts to wither away, I don't think they even believe that god asked them to do it, they just do it.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(May 2, 2015 at 4:29 am)Twisted Wrote: [...] were all those religious people and mystics frauds?

No. Some of them were mentally ill. Or just very, very good at deceiving themselves. But most of them - blatant, unashamed frauds.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(May 2, 2015 at 4:29 am)Twisted Wrote: If you read history then so many people have sacrificed their life for religion or a religious cause,so many people have dedicated their life for religious purposes,there have been so many mystics in every religion who were good people,so much deep stuff written about religion and God,why did they never ask the basic question that does God exist or not and were all those religious people and mystics frauds?
1. It was the best explanation they could come up with at the time.
2. It was drilled into them at a young age and remained a permanent fixture of their thoughts and emotions.
3. It offered their life a meaningful context and brought about internal peace and comfort amidst external disorder.
4. It eliminated the fear of death.
5. It reinforced their notions of good and evil with authority beyond reproach (in their minds).
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Indoctrination is a huge factor. And threats against you if you don't conform.

Take those two things away, and I'd predict a massive decrease in religious numbers and severity over the next generations.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 2, 2015 at 4:29 am)Twisted Wrote: If you read history then so many people have sacrificed their life for religion or a religious cause,so many people have dedicated their life for religious purposes,there have been so many mystics in every religion who were good people,so much deep stuff written about religion and God,why did they never ask the basic question that does God exist or not and were all those religious people and mystics frauds?

People have sacrificed themselves for a lot of things.  But I'll grant you religion has one of the highest body counts.

Some people are scared of the possibility of god not existing.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
A lot of times the choice is either dedicate your life to this cause, or we'll kill you.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

A lot of people are quite stupid.  They believe anything they are told.

We have a number of specimens of the breed running around here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Invite the people of the world to attack the Islamic religion Eclectic 9 1245 December 14, 2022 at 11:40 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  One clear, precise prophecy of Muhammad.. among many R00tKiT 178 21008 July 13, 2020 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Quranic Reflection]: Women have the right to state their own rights in the marriage WinterHold 34 4546 June 30, 2020 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  One reason among many, the world needs Ahlulbayt (as). Mystic 23 3406 April 23, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  If a muslim grows old, do they have to dye their hair? Ruckus123 5 916 April 16, 2018 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: yragnitup
  So if Muhammad had long hair why so many muslim male having short hair? Ruckus123 3 1165 April 12, 2018 at 7:07 am
Last Post: chimp3
  RAMADAN: wonder how many girl MUTILATIONS were done in the name of Allah? 21stCenturyIconoclast! 13 5055 June 27, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Did you know why king Faisal of Saudi was killed 1975? ReptilianPeon 4 2128 March 5, 2016 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Muslim thinks that suffering happens to muslims because Allah is testing their faith comediaN 20 5317 November 26, 2015 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam? hilary 16 4384 July 20, 2015 at 8:47 am
Last Post: pocaracas