Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Dwarf to return...
Red Dwarf to return...
About time. The official announcement was made that Series XI and XII will be made later this year. Hopefully it's better than the last season, which was a bit of a mixed bag. It had a couple of really good episodes but at least half of it was rather dull.

It's about time they explained what happened to the rest of the Red Dwarf crew after series 8, including the resurrected Rimmer.

Series 8 was good overall, but it had its problems: Norman Lovett was well underused. His character is way funnier than Kryten and should have been given more screen-time. The multi-part episodes were a bad idea from the start; perhaps the "back in the red" could have been a two-parter but there shouldn't have been any more than that. The plot made no sense; Rimmer and Lister had access to the crew's confidential files and were sentenced to two years in the Brig. Kochanski and the Cat had never seen the files but were sentenced anyway. Holly was the ship's computer, and yet he too gets sentenced (why not just switched off?)

At the end of the series, all the blue midgets and starbugs are flown away from Red Dwarf, which is being destroyed by a highly corrosive micro-organism. All the Dwarfers take refuge in a mirror universe but Rimmer stays behind. It has never been explained how the ship was saved, or how the blue midgets and starbugs were returned without the Red Dwarf crew. My theory is that Kryten's nanobots repaired the ship, but that doesn't explain what happened to the crew.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Red Dwarf to return...
(May 2, 2015 at 11:28 am)Aractus Wrote: About time. The official announcement was made that Series XI and XII will be made later this year. Hopefully it's better than the last season, which was a bit of a mixed bag. It had a couple of really good episodes but at least half of it was rather dull.

It's about time they explained what happened to the rest of the Red Dwarf crew after series 8, including the resurrected Rimmer.

Series 8 was good overall, but it had its problems: Norman Lovett was well underused. His character is way funnier than Kryten and should have been given more screen-time. The multi-part episodes were a bad idea from the start; perhaps the "back in the red" could have been a two-parter but there shouldn't have been any more than that. The plot made no sense; Rimmer and Lister had access to the crew's confidential files and were sentenced to two years in the Brig. Kochanski and the Cat had never seen the files but were sentenced anyway. Holly was the ship's computer, and yet he too gets sentenced (why not just switched off?)

At the end of the series, all the blue midgets and starbugs are flown away from Red Dwarf, which is being destroyed by a highly corrosive micro-organism. All the Dwarfers take refuge in a mirror universe but Rimmer stays behind. It has never been explained how the ship was saved, or how the blue midgets and starbugs were returned without the Red Dwarf crew. My theory is that Kryten's nanobots repaired the ship, but that doesn't explain what happened to the crew.

That must be the episode I missed! I know I missed one and have never managed to catch it. to you have it,s name so I can look it up?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

What you mean "Only the good..." S08E08?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(May 2, 2015 at 11:46 am)Aractus Wrote: What you mean "Only the good..." S08E08?

On the off chance that you live in the US, Hulu-plus has the whole smegging series online. Of course, for some reason a glitch renders the endings of all Series X episodes unwatchable for some reason.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
No doubt this thread will trigger a binge watch of all the old episodes... so that's a few weeks of my time up in smoke at least. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Also, I forgot to mention this earlier.

Craig Charles has resigned from Coronation Street in order to film Red Dwarf XI & XII. There's no news yet whether these will be 6-episode or 8-episode length series - I'd be hoping for the latter, you never know.

I really enjoyed Star Trek, Babylon 5 and Firefly. Red Dwarf never did anything for me.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(May 2, 2015 at 11:53 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: I really enjoyed Star Trek, Babylon 5 and Firefly. Red Dwarf never did anything for me.

KILL THE BLASPHEMER!!!! 4 Horsemen 4 Horsemen

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Red Dwarf is better than those other shows mentioned.
(My opinion)

I loved the older red dwarfs. Series 8 was okay, but clearly running out of ideas. "Series" 9 was awful. Series 10 was pretty dull and pissing on the franchise. They better not still be running on empty or I'll... have no meaningful action I can take.

My favourites are still series 1 and 2. I love the absolute venemous hatred that Rimmer spews. He softened as time went on. I still enjoyed the other series very much though up until the above.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  J.K. Rowling had to return civil rights award Foxaèr 68 4987 October 16, 2020 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Rank Stranger
  Return of 100% Faith Schools in the UK SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck 13 2400 September 27, 2016 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck
  Germany considers return of conscription for civil defence account_inactive 0 468 August 23, 2016 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Starbucks Red cups and the "War on Christmas". Aroura 41 6341 November 15, 2015 at 8:10 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Tar Heel turns State red. Brian37 20 2394 February 14, 2015 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: CristW
  Red Bull doesn't give you wings, 13 million payout for lawsuit. Claim your money ForumMember77 35 6739 October 11, 2014 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: vorlon13