Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 1:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emo punk mosher hipster indy chav goth
Emo punk mosher hipster indy chav goth
Just wondering, have any of you been or still are part of a scene? 

I'm 30 and live in the UK and I'm starting to feel pretty old now because I was what was known as a mosher when I was 14 - 17 (wore stupidly baggy jeans and listened to 90s rock music like limp bizkit, nirvana, sepultura marilyn manson the offspring.)

I stopped being part of any group when mosher turned into emo (skinny jeans, hair over one eye.) Which turned to indy kids, which then turned to hipsters, and to be honest I don't even know where we're up to now.

These days I wear nice but boring clothes, in some small ways I miss the days when I was too young to realize I was dressed like what I now think is pretty idiotic, pretentious and impractical. 

I know some people on this forum are older than me so they probably watched people like me when I was 14 and thought I was an idiot, and some people are younger than me and don't even remember what a mosher was or the bands i mentioned.  Also some people not from where I am probably had a different name for mosher.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: Emo punk mosher hipster indy chav goth
I like the punk and lighter goth looks, but don't, in general, like the music. Also, if I were to ever try those looks, I'd look like a tryhard. I'd look like I just don't "get it".

I mostly like to dress comfortably, in basketball or other mesh shorts and a college tee (which probably looks pretty ridiculous to those that see me daily because I haven't gone to but one of the colleges represented by my tees. I kind of wish I had more fashion knowledge. I'm 39 and sometimes wonder if I dress like a 20 year old).

I do need a pair of jeans. That could go well with a college tee, plaid shirt, and a cap.

Musicwise, when I was growing up, I just. didn't. give. half. a, flying. fuck. I hated kids my age. I liked their parents and thought they were the ones that had style. I liked Kenny G and music like that growing up. Nowadays, I like indie (although indie seems to have so many subgenres that it's almost meaningless), old jazz, and drone. It depends on my mood. I also enjoy NPR for its voices.

I think the last bands I was listening to (yesterday) were The Naked and Famous and The Fitness. Today it's been radio. Either kexp.org or NPR.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I move in the metal scene from time to time, but apart from black clothes and the occasional band shirt I don't look it...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'm an undercover nerd, no braces or glasses so you can't tell until I start talking
I never really understood the whole shebang
 I don't follow scenes.  Scenes follow me Wink Shades
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I don't care about fashion except to say that I always dress casual unless business demands otherwise.

(May 3, 2015 at 2:18 am)paulpablo Wrote: These days I wear nice but boring clothes, in some small ways I miss the days when I was too young to realize I was dressed like what I now think is pretty idiotic, pretentious and impractical. 

That seems to maybe be a thing now. I keep hearing this term "normcore". Anybody do it? I might. I don't even know.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
£1 if you can guess which one I am:

(May 3, 2015 at 11:06 am)Napoléon Wrote: £1 if you can guess which one I am:

You're the chick in the red dress, send me cash
i love all these crazy stuff, it's energetic and cool. better than sitting at home jerking off and watching "star trek".
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Hipster's 10 commandments ignoramus 9 1209 June 7, 2018 at 11:09 am
Last Post: emjay
  Hipster BrokenQuill92 1 597 January 7, 2014 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Fruity
  Is TheBlackFringe too emo for a username? sunflash 24 7658 October 2, 2010 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: sunflash
  So I'm apparently the singer for a punk-rock band now Watson 21 3930 May 19, 2010 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Britney's crying EMO Oldandeasilyconfused 0 915 September 8, 2009 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused