Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I'm apparently the singer for a punk-rock band now
So I'm apparently the singer for a punk-rock band now
I found this out last night when I went to hang out with my friends, and ne of them told me that he wanted me to sing fo rhis band, Abaca. It's not a huge deal since he isn't getting gigs or really doing anything other than making demos right now, but it might be a fun experience for a while. Smile I was told I have a terrible voice, but that I'm good at singing, which is why they wanted me for it. Wish me luck!

Also, to make this worth actual discussion, uh...does anyone here even listen to punk-rock?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this probably shoul dhave gone in the music section, shouldn't it?
RE: So I'm apparently the singer for a punk-rock band now
Good luck, Watson. I'm sure someone listens to punk rock, probably not the purists though. Have you ever done any singing before?
White.* The blank page.* The challenge:* Bring order to the whole - through design, composition, tone, form, symmetry, balance, light...and Harmony...
No I have not. I mean, I do all the time, but in no circumstances where it's actually expected of me or I'm being asked to do so. Tongue This is the first time it's being recorded, pretty much.

Punk-Rock is a pretty wide genre, but you're right about the purists- it isn't going to be listened to by people who are strict about their music, unless they are self-deemed 'punk-rockers' in which case they're probably idiots. XD
This thread is scary.
Hey, as long as you have fun with it... what the hell, right? There must be someone that still likes punk rock. I still like a few genres of music that hardly anyone seems to listen to.
The first time I ever heard punk I hated it and my opinions haven't really changed. But, good luck anyway Great
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I was really into punk in the late 70s/ early 80s. Aaah..my mis-spent youth Devil

I still have a sentimental fondness for some of it. On the whole, though, it hasn't aged very well.

Some classic punk albums, which you might like to listen to for ideas:

Sex Pistols: 'New Mind the Bollocks'
Siouxsie and the Banshees: 'The Scream', 'Kaleidoscope' and 'Join Hands'
The Buzzcocks: 'Another Music in a Different Kitchen'
The Stranglers: 'Rattus Norvegicus' and 'No More Heroes'
The Dead Kennedys: 'Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables'
Television: 'Marquee Moon'
Anything by The Cramps or The Ramones

Best of luck!
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
haha Punk died for a while, then revived itself, then it turned out it had never died and became 'New Punk' which is actually just old Folk*...it's the Jesus of music! Big Grin Punk-Rock is a pretty wide genre, almost as much as Pop even...there's grunge and all its ilk, and so many more types. You get the idea. Tongue Thanks for the well wishes, also, why is this thread scary Adrian?

*Which is what we are
Punk has remind popular here (U.S.), but more as an underground thing. No big money to be made. There have been a few big groups that get called punk, but I always considered them punk influenced pop. Green Day, Offspring, etc. I like that kind of punk.
Punk's whole thing is that you have to not be popular to be popular with the punk crowd. It's a whole contradictory set of convoluted success measurement, where if one can successfully balance being famous with appearing to not be famous and yet still making money while appearing to notmake money, you can get popular with the layman and the punks.

tl;dr: Anything that's not punk-rock is punk-rock to punk-rock. Tongue

It's a fun genre to experiment and mess around with, haha For the record, I still think The Offspring are cool as hell, but Green Day went really pop and turned itself inside out. It's basically despised by punk-rockers now. lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Admitting you're a singer The Valkyrie 33 2322 January 11, 2018 at 8:00 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
Shocked Hating Comic Sans is Ableist Apparently Tea Earl Grey Hot 16 2039 March 3, 2017 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Time for a rep whore band wagon thread? brewer 151 9383 March 2, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: c172
  Rock & Roll Rush Radio Brian37 5 782 October 16, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Apparently the United States has killed over 1.3 billion people since 1776 (lol) ReptilianPeon 11 2353 July 25, 2015 at 1:24 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  The most controversial shirt in Rock history. Exian 10 2314 June 29, 2015 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: Longhorn
  Emo punk mosher hipster indy chav goth paulpablo 18 2598 May 4, 2015 at 2:06 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Anyone remember the band Living Colour? Brian37 11 3387 March 8, 2013 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Apparently this is a thing now...I'm an atheist, libertarian, ethical computer hacker. Ask me anything. Tiberius 41 14061 February 3, 2013 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  The media won't say this, and neither apparently will the police, so I will. Tiberius 51 17862 January 12, 2012 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Cyberman