Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Article for WWII Aircraft Buffs
Interesting Article for WWII Aircraft Buffs
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/04/28...tail=email

Quote:The other ones - overlooked aircraft of WWII
RE: Interesting Article for WWII Aircraft Buffs
Poo !!

They left out the Brewster Buffalo !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 5, 2015 at 7:34 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Poo !!

They left out the Brewster Buffalo !!!

Buffalo was the only fighter in the world that actually looked like a lumbering ground dwelling herbivore.   That its pudgy fuselage could actually rise into the air on those tiny wings is a minor miracle. 

(May 5, 2015 at 7:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/04/28...tail=email

Quote:The other ones - overlooked aircraft of WWII

I dispute the assertion any of those aircraft can be considered overlooked.   Hurricane?  Bf-110, wildcat, b-24 liberator, overlooked?  You've gotta be kidding me.  

For some real overlooked aircraft, how about indigenous Romanian IAR 80?
[Image: brewster-buffalo.jpg]

The Buffalo......piss poor plane.
I have been fascinated with the B-36 Peacemaker since I first saw it at the Air Force Museum as a boy. It was a year too late to see action in WWII and was rendered obsolete almost immediately because of jet fighters. I would love to have seen this thing fly, mostly because I love the heavy drone of large turboprops.

Next to a B-29:
[Image: SuBUT.jpg]
(May 6, 2015 at 8:26 am)Cato Wrote: was rendered obsolete almost immediately because of jet fighters.

Do you mean because of jet fighters or jet engines? Or both? The B-52 had jet engines, but it's not obvious to me why it should be better-suited against jet fighters. Higher speeds?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

http://www.air-and-space.com/afftcho%202...0b%20m.jpg
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

BTD never saw combat only 30 produced

Gloster E.28 first allied jet produced by the British 

Bell P5-59 when on to make the P80A then The F80C 

Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka Kamikaze Plane

Arado mini fighter

A-9Rocket 

My favorite on created by the Germans the Horten HO 229 a flying wing

And something i truly love Sushi 

Mitsubishi J8M (sushi) bomber interceptor

[Image: wdnhhdpbcdjrw1zc9xwz.jpg]
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
P-47 ftw!.  There are stories, from both sides, of german pilots (even in  later model 190s) going bingo ammo lightin em up - without bringing them down......p-40 doesn't get much love either, but the engine block on the p-40 saved many a pilots life, and was probably one of the only planes ever built in which a HO wasn't the worst idea a pilot could have.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 6, 2015 at 9:51 am)Alex K Wrote:
(May 6, 2015 at 8:26 am)Cato Wrote: was rendered obsolete almost immediately because of jet fighters.

Do you mean because of jet fighters or jet engines? Or both? The B-52 had jet engines, but it's not obvious to me why it should be better-suited against jet fighters. Higher speeds?

Not just higher speed, but the ability to maintain higher speed while at higher altitude.   

When fighters have a large margin of superiority in speed and altitude over the bomber, the fighter can begin within a large area around the point where the bomber is first detected, and still successfully intercept the bomber.   But if the fighter has only a small margin of superiority in speed and altitude over the bomber, then the area in which the fighter must be to intercept the bomber shrinks drastically.  This means it take far more fighters on patrol to assure a successfully interception.

B-52 is not faster or higher flying then contemporary jet fighters.  But it greatly narrows the margin of superiority in speed and altitude of jet fighters compared to B-36.  So it was far more difficult to intercept than the b-36.  This means a jet fighter force adequate to provide assurance of interception of a given number b-36 must be enlarged many times to assure interception of same number of B-52s.

(May 6, 2015 at 8:26 am)Cato Wrote: I have been fascinated with the B-36 Peacemaker since I first saw it at the Air Force Museum as a boy. It was a year too late to see action in WWII and was rendered obsolete almost immediately because of jet fighters. I would love to have seen this thing fly, mostly because I love the heavy drone of large turboprops.

Next to a B-29:
[Image: SuBUT.jpg]

B-36 was not a turboprop.   It was designed around piston engines, same as B-29, and aerodynamically optimized to operate within the limits of piston engines.  That's what made it    technically obsolete even before its very first flight.    

To see a bomber optimized for the much higher power to weight ratio and fuel efficiency possible with turbo prop engines, see the Tu-95.   It was about the same weight overall as b-36, and its 4 turbo prop engines weighed less than b-36's 6 piston engines.  But the 4 turbo props put out 3 times as much horse powers in total as b-36's 6 piston engines, and burned less fuel while doing it, which in conjunction with an airframe optimized to take advantage of it, gave Tu-95 150 miles per hour more speed, and 3000 miles more range.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The enormity of WWII Loaded dice 73 4552 August 11, 2023 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Interesting Find in Jerusalem Minimalist 16 1385 August 15, 2018 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Interesting Find in Turkey Minimalist 11 1255 February 20, 2018 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Haaretz Article Minimalist 0 269 November 12, 2017 at 2:41 pm
  This Is An Interesting Question Minimalist 44 11286 September 20, 2017 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Interesting Article for Discussion Minimalist 0 610 December 6, 2016 at 10:34 pm
  Interesting Video on Jutland Minimalist 0 508 April 18, 2016 at 11:28 pm
  Interesting Determination Minimalist 0 840 March 10, 2015 at 3:53 pm
  Interesting Tidbit for Our Aussie Friends Minimalist 26 5421 October 28, 2014 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie