Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Find in Jerusalem
Interesting Find in Jerusalem
Hellenistic jewelry in pre-Hasmonean Jerusalem.

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/dail...=ZE8A8MZ30

Quote:A rare gold earring dating to the second or third century B.C.E. was unearthed during an excavation in Jerusalem.

Quote:“It seems as though, at the time, the city did not reach farther than the top of the hill in the City of David, but then spread slightly to the west into the Tyropoeon Valley,” said Gadot and Shalev. “We also learned from this excavation that the residents of this area were not peasants who settled in empty areas on the periphery of the central area, but rather the opposite—they were well-off people. The discovery of familiar Hellenistic pieces of jewelry can teach us about how Hellenistic influences reached Jerusalem during this time.”

Also brings into focus the Maccabaean legends of strife between Hellenized "Jews" and conservative jews.
RE: Interesting Find in Jerusalem
Real history is so much more satisfying than all the made up crap we usually get.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
All that from one earring?
(August 14, 2018 at 9:14 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: All that from one earring?

One earring more than any holy relic?
(August 13, 2018 at 1:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Hellenistic jewelry in pre-Hasmonean Jerusalem.

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/dail...=ZE8A8MZ30

Quote:A rare gold earring dating to the second or third century B.C.E. was unearthed during an excavation in Jerusalem.

Quote:“It seems as though, at the time, the city did not reach farther than the top of the hill in the City of David, but then spread slightly to the west into the Tyropoeon Valley,” said Gadot and Shalev. “We also learned from this excavation that the residents of this area were not peasants who settled in empty areas on the periphery of the central area, but rather the opposite—they were well-off people. The discovery of familiar Hellenistic pieces of jewelry can teach us about how Hellenistic influences reached Jerusalem during this time.”

Also brings into focus the Maccabaean legends of strife between Hellenized "Jews" and conservative jews.

Thank you Minn, I love the use of B.C.E and not the narcissistic B.C. as if Christianity has been the original or only religion on the planet.

It is only 2018 because the world adapted it, not because an alleged virgin got knocked up with invisible god goo.
It's only 2018 because Dionysius Exiguus fucked up the computations.  He missed the year "0" and he forgot the 4 years that Augustus ruled as Octavian.  It should be 2023.

Never let a xhristard do anything important!
His name translates to Dennis the Little. Perhaps he was compensating?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I wonder how you say 'pencil dick' in Greek?
(August 14, 2018 at 12:58 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It's only 2018 because Dionysius Exiguus fucked up the computations.  He missed the year "0" and he forgot the 4 years that Augustus ruled as Octavian.  It should be 2023.

Never let a xhristard do anything important!

Augustus ruled as Octavian well before 1 CE. How did that result in miscalculation counting backwards towards 1 CE?
(August 14, 2018 at 9:14 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: All that from one earring?

Before it goes too far afield...no, not specifically in this case...but yes, actually - in general.  Consider what you can learn from simply knowing how long it takes to make a specific earring.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great Find in Egypt Minimalist 22 1010 November 25, 2018 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: no one
  Interesting Find in Turkey Minimalist 11 1228 February 20, 2018 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Nice Find, Boys Minimalist 5 671 December 10, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  This Is An Interesting Question Minimalist 44 11254 September 20, 2017 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  We Won't Have To Wait To Long To Find Out Minimalist 22 4443 December 14, 2016 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Interesting Article for Discussion Minimalist 0 607 December 6, 2016 at 10:34 pm
  Interesting Article for WWII Aircraft Buffs Minimalist 35 8777 October 31, 2016 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Archaeologists Find Athenian Naval Base Minimalist 76 8774 August 3, 2016 at 6:32 pm
  Major Find in Israel Minimalist 14 1991 July 11, 2016 at 6:44 pm
  Interesting Video on Jutland Minimalist 0 508 April 18, 2016 at 11:28 pm