Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The enormity of WWII
The enormity of WWII
There is probably no bigger and more shattering event ever in recorded history.

In only 6 years, there were massive invasions, thousands of massacres, Operation Barbarossa, an incomprehensible holocaust, ballistic missiles invented and used, two nuclear bombs dropped. And all this is only the tip of the iceberg, there are certainly thousands, perhaps millions of crushing accounts of suffering, destruction and pain that were shrouded in the mists of time...

Are we ever going to understand how enormous this total war really was ...?
RE: The enormity of WWII
So, the Second World War was kind of a big deal? If you hadn’t told me, I never would have known.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I helped teach the WWII class at Purdue when I was a grad student. This was during the 50th anniversary of the war.

If you want to learn something about the war you can start here: http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/ Be warned, I've been working (along with several other people) on that sited since 1993. We still get over a million hits a month.
(July 21, 2023 at 3:33 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: So, the Second World War was kind of a big deal? If you hadn’t told me, I never would have known.

Boru

We don't realize how big of a deal this war was, this probably includes you, also.

I can easily make a case that it'll never happen again. Now that nuclear weapons are widespread, any total war is simply the complete annihiliation of the human species, and leaders know that -no one would win.

So we only have the example of WWII as the most devastating demonstration of what modern weapons and modern political evil (far-right ideas like nazism) are capable of.
(July 21, 2023 at 3:40 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I helped teach the WWII class at Purdue when I was a grad student. This was during the 50th anniversary of the war.

If you want to learn something about the war  you can start here: http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/ Be warned, I've been working (along with several other people) on that sited since 1993. We still get over a million hits a month.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
Anything specific you're interested in? I was always interested in Pearl Harbor. http://ibiblio.org/pha
(July 21, 2023 at 3:42 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Anything specific you're interested in? I was always interested in Pearl Harbor. http://ibiblio.org/pha

For me it's the Holocaust. It's really difficult to understand how a modern, sophisticated country conspired to perpetrate a genocide on such a scale.

The nuclear bombings are also a huge deal for me. Why erase an entire city filled with innocent people to force capitulation. I think the U.S. committed one the worst war crimes ever when they did that.
WWII is a myth. Hoomans have never, ever, not even once, been at odds with each other.

It is just more mole-people propaganda. WAKE UP!!!!!! SMELL THE BACON!!!!!!!!
(July 21, 2023 at 3:40 pm)Loaded dice Wrote:
(July 21, 2023 at 3:33 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: So, the Second World War was kind of a big deal? If you hadn’t told me, I never would have known.

Boru

We don't realize how big of a deal this war was, this probably includes you, also.

I can easily make a case that it'll never happen again. Now that nuclear weapons are widespread, any total war is simply the complete annihiliation of the human species, and leaders know that -no one would win.

So we only have the example of WWII as the most devastating demonstration of what modern weapons and modern political evil (far-right ideas like nazism) are capable of.

It definitely does not include me. Don’t assume that other people are uninformed, you sanctimonious twat.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 21, 2023 at 3:58 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It definitely does not include me. Don’t assume that other people are uninformed, you sanctimonious twat.

Boru

Is it that difficult for you to have a conversation without calling people names ? 

Yes, you're hugely misinformed about WWII just like everybody else, no human brain can encompass the suffering of millions of people. Remember that many people made a career and spent their entire lives studying just one aspect of this conflict, or one leader that took part in it.

Meanwhile, we have fools like yourself who are too proud to acknowledge they don't know everything.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interesting Article for WWII Aircraft Buffs Minimalist 35 8797 October 31, 2016 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: GUBU