Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Souls?
Souls?
What the fuck is a soul anyway?

And why would I want one?

Or why is there a market for it?

And why can't my dog get one? What's with the dog prejudice, for real
RE: Souls?
Haha, I was just talking to my husband last night about this, a bit.

I'm reading Harry Potter book 6 to my kid, and I asked how do I even explain Horcruxes to her when we get there? What is a soul that is being torn?

I guess I'll just explain it's a magical thing.../
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I think it's a metaphor for our personality/essence, which is often mistaken for an actual entity. 

Thinking it is real is another way to avoid considering the finality of death, and to make us feel more special than other animals.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Animals get off easy though

The only benefit from having a soul is a slight chance of getting into heaven, and that's only AFTER you're dead and must be pretty boring
and there's a big chance you're going to be tortured for eternity instead

Meanwhile animals don't need to bother about any of this, cos no souls

If I did have a soul, I'd put it on Craigslist right away, fuckin useless crap
Why would you say, 'dog prejudice'? Cats have nearly twice the neuron density. Pigs have even more. I am too lazy to look it up but I think elephants are even smarter than pigs. Primates may be smarter than some Republicans.

The concept of souls came about before we understood digital storage of information.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Souls?
The idea that a soul exists is restarted to put it mildly. It is nothing more than fantasy. No evidence of one exists.
The fact that damages to the brain can take all things we value about our life and which make us "us" away from us, or can profoundly change them, including memory, recognition of our loved ones, personality traits, not even speaking of consciousness itself, all that is strong evidence that, if souls exist, they don't do anything useful. Likewise, having an immortal soul would not make us immortal as persons in any important sense.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

How do you even define a soul? Just what is it?

It's like one of those words you don't know the exact meaning of but keep using it anyway, we can talk about souls all day, but the concept is so vague it's practically meaningless
(May 10, 2015 at 5:42 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: How do you even define a soul? Just what is it?

It's like one of those words you don't know the exact meaning of but keep using it anyway, we can talk about souls all day, but the concept is so vague it's practically meaningless

Absolutely. The problem is that most people don't apply strict enough standards to their thinking to notice.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

All the descendants of Adam acquire their souls upon the first breath. The last gasp of a dying individual is the soul leaving the body.

Souls may be briefly dislodged during sneezing, while your soul is swirling around in the snot spray, your mortal remains are especially vulnerable to predation by satan. That's why we (usually) say "Bless you" immediately following a sneeze as the individual may be in terrible peril until their soul is fully re-inhaled.

Animals, not being sons of Adam cannot and do not have souls. Assuming, or asserting they do is VILE BLASPHEMY; your soul can and will be tormented in Hell as a result of such an awful transgression upon your demise, and the torment will be infinitely painful and of infinite duration.

If you drown, the bubbles seen coming up out of the water are the air in your lungs, and your soul. If you survive, you will need to be immediately re-integrated with your soul.

Also, several people sneezing simultaneously in a confined space are in no danger of soul swapping, they don't work that way. If you want to worry about it, however, it wouldn't hurt.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do Nonhuman Animals Have Souls? chimp3 42 6876 April 13, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  In Buddhism Where Will Souls Go if they Haven''t Reached Nirvana Before the Sun Dies? Rhondazvous 11 2095 November 21, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: LuisDantas
  Do sperm have souls? Jehanne 62 10709 October 10, 2016 at 8:11 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  We can demonstrate that souls, if they exist, can't feel pain. Chad32 10 3840 January 27, 2014 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Do humans have souls? theo 36 11454 March 26, 2009 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused