Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Nonhuman Animals Have Souls?
Do Nonhuman Animals Have Souls?
Theists: Do whales, chimps, dogs live into the afterlife?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Do Nonhuman Animals Have Souls?
I can't answer the question. I'm not a theist.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Nope,

And it is blasphemy to assert they do.

They are not sons of Adam, do not have HUMAN souls, do not share in original sin, and cannot (and do not need to) believe in Jesus nor can they be 'saved'.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Personally I believe they do, yes
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Only if they have gods that exist. 

So............ that would be no.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
All non human animals are ignostics...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(April 10, 2018 at 10:23 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Personally I believe they do, yes
Where do they go after death? Do any suffer hell?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(April 10, 2018 at 10:23 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Personally I believe they do, yes

Wow, interesting. You're an interesting mix, CL

I personally won't address the issue of souls because I'm not sure what that word even means. I have no doubt though that any higher animal such as mammals has the necessary brain complexity to be sentient, self-aware or whatever other word you want to use to describe a creature which thinks, has a conscious awareness of its own existence, has a desire to preserve itself and fears threats to itself.

As to whether or not they have an afterlife... I can't see anyone or thing having an afterlife unless it is provided by supernatural beings (which I rule out) or natural beings which have evolved or advanced to the point where they have the power to grant such a thing to mortals. It would be up to them to decide who/what is worthy of such a gift. I do not presume to even guess what such advanced beings would think as they are too far beyond me for me to realistically put myself in their shoes.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Non human animals are more likely to have souls than human animals.
Dying to live, living to die.
(April 10, 2018 at 10:40 pm)chimp3 Wrote:
Where do they go after death? Do any suffer hell?

I would imagine that only those pure of heart who have never licked their own lala or sniffed another's behind prior to marriage would go to heaven ...

Evolution is there to test us all! We need to fight that evil urge!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noah and animals AniKoferBo 52 3278 January 28, 2021 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: no one
  How do religious people justify raising and slaughtering animals for food? Alexmahone 113 12867 December 6, 2017 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Little Rik
  In Buddhism Where Will Souls Go if they Haven''t Reached Nirvana Before the Sun Dies? Rhondazvous 11 2088 November 21, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: LuisDantas
  Sacred and unclean animals zebo-the-fat 14 3237 July 23, 2017 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Do sperm have souls? Jehanne 62 10649 October 10, 2016 at 8:11 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Souls? Longhorn 78 9289 May 14, 2015 at 11:22 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  We can demonstrate that souls, if they exist, can't feel pain. Chad32 10 3830 January 27, 2014 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Do animals have free Will? Forsaken 80 38822 April 13, 2012 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Do humans have souls? theo 36 11418 March 26, 2009 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused